The Electoral College

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Electoral College

The Electoral College was implemented to give States with smaller populations more of a voice in Presidential elections as compared to more populous States. Therefore, rural States with low populations based on agriculture would not be over powered by the States with larger cities and urban populations. The Electoral College is part of the Constitution and would take a Constitutional amendment to change.

In 1960, Nixon won the popular vote but Kennedy won the Electoral College (this is subject to dispute). In 2000, Gore won the popular vote, but Bush won the Electoral College. There are other examples in US history where this was true. In 2008, some pundits are predicting that Obama may very well win the popular vote, but it appears the McCain has a lead in the Electoral College.

Wikipedia says, "Critics argue the Electoral College is inherently undemocratic and gives certain swing states disproportionate clout in selecting the President and Vice President. Adherents argue that the Electoral College is an important and distinguishing feature of the federal system, and protects the rights of smaller states"

Is it time for a change? Should democracies elect their representatives based on the popular vote or some contrived gerrymandering like the Electoral College? Or maybe the Electoral College votes should be apportioned by percentage of the vote for each candidate represented in each State?

What do you think? Cast your vote.
    I favor a popular vote, it's time for a change
    42.86%
    I favor the Electoral College, leave it alone
    57.14%
    I favor a modified system based on the Electoral College
    0.00%
    I don't know, and I don't care
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Re: The Electoral College

You forgot the most important link in this thread.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
      The Electoral College was implemented to give States with smaller populations more of a voice in Presidential elections as compared to more populous States. Therefore, rural States with low populations based on agriculture would not be over powered by the States with larger cities and urban populations.
      Hey! I know them!

They're the ones that keep voting Bush, right?

Comment

Vanguard, if you read the Wiki article, the college also gave you JFK.

I think the college does what it is meant to do; to protect the smaller states from the decisions of the large confused populations of the more urban states.

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
          Not according to this Wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...election,_1960

John F. Kennedy Electoral vote: 303
          Richard Nixon Electoral vote: 219

John F. Kennedy Popular vote: 34,220,984
          Richard Nixon Popular vote: 34,108,157

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
            Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
            Not according to this Wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...election,_1960

John F. Kennedy Electoral (College) vote: 303
            Richard Nixon Electoral (College) vote: 219
            Uhhh, I think you’re confused. You just proved cyleet99’s point.
            Last edited by TuNnL; September 9, 2008, 04:02 PM. Reason: forgot [/QUOTE]

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
              Uhhh, I think you’re confused. You just proved cyleet99’s point.

34,220,984 > 34,108,157

If I'm reading this correctly, JFK would have won with or without the electoral college system. It just looks like a more considerable landslide with the electoral college system considered.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post

34,220,984 > 34,108,157

If I'm reading this correctly, JFK would have won with or without the electoral college system. It just looks like a more considerable landslide with the electoral college system considered.
                I suppose that is one interpretation. My view is that the electoral college vote basically dissuaded Nixon from challenging the results all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court (i.e. Al Gore).

My rationale can be found in Composite2992’s article:
                Historians have alleged that Kennedy benefited from vote fraud, especially in Texas and Illinois, and that Nixon actually won the national popular vote ... Kennedy won Illinois by less than 9,000 votes out of 4.75 million cast, even though Nixon carried 92 of the state’s 101 counties ... New York Herald Tribune, investigated the voting in Chicago and claimed to have discovered sufficient evidence of vote fraud to prove that the state was stolen for Kennedy.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                  I suppose that is one interpretation. My view is that the electoral college vote basically dissuaded Nixon from challenging the results all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court (i.e. Al Gore).
                  A lot of good it did Al Gore.

Comment

Working...
                  X