Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: windows failed to start

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
    So, the diagnosis is that my memory is shot. And needs replacing, for around $200, plus the diagnostics fees, probably more once all is said and done.

This is retarded!! My computer isn't even one year old,[...]
    Is your computer still under warranty, perhaps?

Comment

I don't think so. Maybe.

I got an email about my warranty expiring, but I thought it was like one of those dirty tricks that Symantec pulls, whereby they send you an email 6 months after you sign up for their one year protection plan, saying "your computer may be vulnerable to everything...renew now" and you think, whoa, already, I'd better do it! Then you get a confirmation email stating that you're now covered till 2010. But then 6 months later, you get the same email....!

So, short answer...no..? But I bought it thru newegg.com, so I need to check their warranty policy, and also HP's warranty policy. Which sucks because that stupid 'fine print' is about 2o pages long!

And I have special needs company in town, and school, and aargh!! This is just plain sucky!! I just don't want to pay half the price of my computer, new - to get it fixed so soon!!!!!!!!!!!
      ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

[...]I just don't want to pay half the price of my computer, new - to get it fixed so soon!!!!!!!!!!!
        I don't blame you and this is why it's so important that you know exactly where you stand with regard to a warranty, esp. since you're so close to the magic one year number! How about calling HP for an answer? If they say "yes" then BINGO...you've hit the jackpot. If they tell you "no"...don't believe them until you (or Sven!) have thoroughly read the warranty yourself. Maybe you can skim thru the warranty to see if there is a headlined paragraph specifically addressing memory.

Comment

HP's minimum warranty on parts and labor for some of their PCs is one year, while for others, it's three years. You got it in January, it ought to still be covered. Call the shop where you got it.

A memory crash can be caused by so many factors out of your hands, sadly - which is one of the ways we learn the value of doing regular backups. Digital data does not exist, until it is in at least two (if not three) different places.
          Last edited by Leo Lakio; September 18, 2008, 02:05 PM.

Comment

If your laptop is under warranty, HP is probably the folks to call. Tell them the situation and they'll most likely point you to some local repair place who does warranty work for them. My guess is they'll cover the cost of the ram and the labor.

Upgrading ram is the most common thing done on laptops, so manufacturers make it relatively "easy". Usually it doesn't void your warranty either. It all depends. What's the model number for your laptop?

Electronic devices and the components they're made from can just die for no apparent reason. Sometimes you'll order something new and it'll be DOA (dead on arrival). When custom computer shops assemble a computer, they'll work it hard for a few days to "burn it in". Components that are faulty tend to crack early. To save time, large volume manufacturers will shorten this "burn in" period (if they do it at all), so more defective components will slip through the cracks.

A worst case scenario is there's a defect on your laptop's motherboard which kills RAM modules. This is unlikely, though.

Sorry to hear about all the stress. Best of luck!
            "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
            "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
            "
            Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Thanks to everyone's responses on this thread, I was able to work with the Supergeeks repair guy, and he offered to check with HP to see if there's a warranty on my pc still. Hooray! I might also find a number for HP and try calling them today. Hopefully this will all work out and this repair won't have to come out of my pocket.

What does it mean if both memory sticks are toast. Did I just lose stuff from my computer, like my tax records, for example?
              ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

What does it mean if both memory sticks are toast. Did I just lose stuff from my computer, like my tax records, for example?
                You really shouldn't have lost anything that was saved to your hard drive. If it was just the RAM or DDRAM or SDRAM etc, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Data passes through the RAM and processes occur there, but it's not permanently held there. So, for example, if you had a TurboTax Return that you saved earlier, it was saved to your hard drive, not in your memory.

Comment

Working...
                X