Best Restaurant for local transplant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Restaurant for local transplant?

Hey there! We have a friend returning to Oahu for a wedding. He's been living in Chicago for the past 10 years and hasn't been back to Hawaii since 2001.

We want to take him out to dinner on Friday night but I have no idea where! It doesn't have to be fancy or anything but someplace with local style food would be nice. Any ideas?

Preferably not in Waikiki since the Aloha Festival Ho'olaule'a is on Friday night!

Doesn't have to be hawaiian food...maybe just food that he can't get in Chicago! Any ideas would be really appreciated!
    Bitter & Sweet....all in one bite.

Re: Best Restaurant for local transplant?

You can always ask your friend where he wants to go since he is from here originally. Granted some places have come and gone in the last 7 to 10 years but it's still roughly the same.

You could take him around the Ward Theater complex, that wasn't around in 2001 so it might be something new to him. Got Big City Diner, Dave & Busters, L&L Drive Inn and Panda Express. Down the street is Kui Ania Burgers and a few other places. I just don't know the crowd situation on a Friday night there.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
      You can always ask your friend where he wants to go since he is from here originally. Granted some places have come and gone in the last 7 to 10 years but it's still roughly the same.
      Unfortunately, I got the "Up to you! I don't care." answer.

Comment

Get him some seafood options that he couldn't get on the Mainland. Does it need to be town side? If not, how about Haleiwa Joe's in Kāne`ohe?

Comment

You can always try the Pagoda (unless the wedding reception is going to be held there), buffet is around $25/person. Choice of prime rib, sushi, sashami, poke and other stuff.

Comment

I want to throw in my vote for Haleiwa Joe's too. The menu is big enough to satisfy anyone, the prices are reasonable, and it's a pretty restaurant..
            ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Likelike Drive In, New Eagle Cafe, Zippy's, anyplace in Koko Marina.

Comment

La Mariana, off of Sand Island Access Rd.

Comment

I was reading about Uncle Bo's on Kapahulu on Yelp.com. Anyone been there?

Comment

Working...
                  X