The Ignore Feature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ignore Feature

Ever use it? Ever take somebody off ignore to read what they wrote? Can you see a new thread started by somebody you have on ignore? Are you scared, or insulted, or shocked, or offended? Does your ignorance override your curiosity? Don't worry, intelligence is optional.

I think anybody using the ignore feature is a nitwit in the first place.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Re: The Ignore Feature

Then I'm a nitwit - because it helps me to avoid posts by spammers and trolls.

And I used to use it more, and would then read posts by those I "ignored." Despite what your sig suggests, I even admitted to it on the board at the time.

I use it much more selectively now - perhaps because the spammers and trolls are far fewer these days, thanks to controls put in place by admin.

I've got no problem with others using it, for their peace of mind, to decrease blood-pressure, for a temporary respite, to make a statement, to ignore me, whatever.

NOTHING I have to say here is of such critical importance that it can not be ignored; to believe otherwise is egotistical.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
      I put my seven year old in "time out" a couple of times. Is that the same thing as Ignore? I may be in BIG trouble here!
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

The problem is not using or using the ignore feature. The problem is announcing to the rest of the world (in a thread) that you are putting so and so on ignore. That doesn't serve any useful purpose.
        Last edited by helen; September 11, 2008, 10:24 AM. Reason: Took out an extra not

Comment

Never have, never would.
          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
          http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Sometimes, I would like to put myself on ignore.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
              I put my seven year old in "time out" a couple of times. Is that the same thing as Ignore? I may be in BIG trouble here!
              You, like me, are a parent. That automatically makes us "nitwits" in their eyes...eventually.
              Originally posted by helen View Post
              The problem is announcing to the rest of the world (in a thread) that you are putting so and so on ignore. That doesn't serve any useful purpose.
              Very insightful comment.
              Originally posted by scrivener View Post
              Sometimes, I would like to put myself on ignore.
              Very funny statement.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                You, like me, are a parent. That automatically makes us "nitwits" in their eyes...eventually.
                I hear ya. That seven year old is now old enough to put me on Ignore sometimes.....can't say I blame her.
                Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

By your standards, timkona, I'm incompetent. I feel honored. I truly do.

(For the record, I haven't used ignore since PJ was, ummm, banished! And, no, I didn't read his posts while "ignored". Why would I? It was bad enough that he was quoted! And, another to you-know-who!)

Comment

Who is PJ? Who is "you know who"?
                    I miss Manoa. Can he ever come back? Admin?
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com
                    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

PJ exists here no more. "You know who" knows who "you" is. If you don't know who "you" is, you isn't "you."

Just ignore all that.

Comment

Really.
                        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                          PJ exists here no more. "You know who" knows who "you" is. If you don't know who "you" is, you isn't "you." [...]
                          Yup! What LL said! I guess we're both mentally incompetent nitwits, LL. I hope you feel as honored as I do.

Comment

I miss Manoa. Can he ever come back? Admin?
                            PJ=Palolo Joe.
                            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

For me, the main fallacy with the “ignore” feature, is I would prefer to apply it to certain statements, rather than to individuals. I’m sure all of us on this board have heard something so offensive or ignorant, that our better judgement is impaired for a fleeting moment which may or may not result in an ill-advised response. As far as I know, technology has not advanced to the level where this is a possible mode of filtering. In cyberspace, we either read someone’s thoughts in all its splendor along with its warts, or we do not see it at all. This is because we cannot stop someone mid-sentence before they make a bigger (to use PJ’s term) jackass of themselves on the Internet. They’re going to say what they’re going to say.

I know it offends me when people waste bandwidth by making random statements just to push people’s buttons. My main goal for joining the HT community was to further my knowledge of issues in my community and beyond. But what I have found is there is more than one or two people who do not participate in such discussions with the same goals in mind. Their goal is mainly to promote an agenda, namely one of their own preference. In doing so, they will discount and belittle any opinion that disagrees with theirs, solely because it hurts their agenda. They are not interested in facts, truth, or the exchange of diverse perspectives in the marketplace of ideas. They only wish to persuade you think like them. IMHO, that is a pilau pursuit that goes against the principles I believe Ryan had in mind when he created Hawaiithreads.com.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                              USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                              X