Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Ignore Feature

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    Be careful about who you "ignore." You don't want Glen Close to cook rabbit stew on your stove.
    <— Don’t click!
    Last edited by TuNnL; September 11, 2008, 08:03 PM. Reason: bunny!

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

Thanks Tutusue!

Originally posted by Nords View Post
      I think it serves the purpose of letting them know that you're no longer responding to whatever game it is that they're playing.

And when a troll is deprived of their audience then it makes it really hard for them to troll.

Some vBulletin discussion boards program their "Ignore Poster" feature to keep a running tally of who's on the top ten of the user's "Ignore Poster" lists. That's a fairly reliable indicator of who's getting infractions or even banned. There may be controversy over the utility of making such a top-ten list public, but I think it's just as useful as getting "thanks" or "karma points" or other recognition.
      I think people will know you stopped responding to them when you stop responding to them. Or they will figure it out eventually. or who cares if they ever figure it out if you think so lowly of them that you put them on ignore? and if there are no responses, it makes it hard for a troll to troll. But I agree with TuNeL (sorry if you don't want to see this because you're ignoring him or her) that such announcements only assure the receiving poster that they've gotten to you and gives them attention. and in some cases, those announcements are just attention seeking from the announcers as well. On a different board, we used to have certain posters who would get into spats or have their sensibilities offended and then announce they were ignoring other posters or that they were so offended they were leaving the board and eventually these announcements came to be known as ignoring or leaving in a stompy footed way. On that particular board.

Regarding keeping score of other posters' infractions or who gets banned, I trust the moderators here to do that. I suspect a top ten list even of something like being the most ignored poster would lead to trolls vying to be on the top of that list.

Comment

I think it serves the purpose of letting them know that you're no longer responding to whatever game it is that they're playing.

And when a troll is deprived of their audience then it makes it really hard for them to troll.
        If you want to notify the person you put on ignore via Private Message that's up to you. The point I am trying to make is don't make it public via a thread, it's just making a thread drift further from the topic and it's just make things worse, because most people are not going to take such news lying down.

Some vBulletin discussion boards program their "Ignore Poster" feature to keep a running tally of who's on the top ten of the user's "Ignore Poster" lists. That's a fairly reliable indicator of who's getting infractions or even banned. There may be controversy over the utility of making such a top-ten list public, but I think it's just as useful as getting "thanks" or "karma points" or other recognition.
        Originally posted by Adri View Post
        Regarding keeping score of other posters' infractions or who gets banned, I trust the moderators here to do that. I suspect a top ten list even of something like being the most ignored poster would lead to trolls vying to be on the top of that list.
        While we tried to test out infractions some time ago, it's just a tool that isn't very useful here. And in case you haven't noticed we haven't done reputation for over 2-1/2 years and speaking for myself I don't see it being enabled again.
        Last edited by helen; September 11, 2008, 09:47 PM. Reason: adding some extra words

Comment

What a fun thread. Y'all are so smart, that's why I love to read it.

I don't know how to use the ignore feature.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I haven't 'ignored' anyone.
            Wanna hear what they have to say.

Sometimes I don't respond, or laugh, cry, yell, have cursed even, but...
            'ignore' no.
            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I'm convinced even people I detest might share a nugget of wisdom infrequently.
              I do miss the rep thing though. It was like cyber-aloha.
              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
              http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
                they were so offended they were leaving the board and eventually these announcements came to be known as ignoring or leaving in a stompy footed way.
                And then, when they had something personal they wanted to promote, they usually came right back. Well, on another board I frequent, there's one poster who has stomped out and returned three times. Just like a little child.

I can think of a couple people who left HT in that fashion, but I don't believe they returned (other than to lurk).

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                  Can you see a new thread started by somebody you have on ignore?
                  The answer to that question is yes. You won't see the text initially but the thread will be listed in the forum indices.

Putting someone on your ignore list just hides the text from being viewed, if you want to view the contents of that post just click on the View Post link, you don't have to remove that user from the ignore list to see what they posted.

Comment

I think someone answered this question in the affirmative some time ago, but I'll ask again (since we are on the topic again) -

If you put someone on "ignore," will that prevent them from being able to send you a PM?

Comment

Frankly, I'm surprised to see so much talk of the ignore feature on an internet forum with a relatively low population who appear to be quite net-savvy and well-mannered compared to elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                        I think someone answered this question in the affirmative some time ago, but I'll ask again (since we are on the topic again) -

If you put someone on "ignore," will that prevent them from being able to send you a PM?
                        I have no idea. If you wish to test this out, temporary put me on ignore, then let me know and I will attempt to send a couple of PM.

When it's done you can remove me from your ignore list.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                          Frankly, I'm surprised to see so much talk of the ignore feature on an internet forum with a relatively low population who appear to be quite net-savvy and well-mannered compared to elsewhere.
                          That's probably because (1) some of these issues are not covered in the FAQ, and those who are less net-savvy might not even know what to ask about, and (2) we are well-mannered enough to actually discuss whether or not to use such a function - rather than just flaming each other with wild abandon.

Or not.

Feel free to ignore my answer.

Comment

OK, helen - as much as it pained me to do so, you are now "ignored" (purely for the sake of this test, you understand.)

When I see you post here again, I'll just choose to view those posts, but will leave you "ignored" until we have results. Thanks.

Comment

I just sent Leo Lakio a couple of Private Messages. From my standpoint it did not notify me that I was being ignored. I also recived an Private Message from Leo as well, which I replied to.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                                I just sent Leo Lakio a couple of Private Messages. From my standpoint it did not notify me that I was being ignored. I also recived an Private Message from Leo as well, which I replied to.
                                I received none of your messages, not even the reply to the test I sent you while you were on "ignore" (which you are no longer, btw). Now we know; if you ignore someone, you won't get their Private Messages either - but they won't know it. Thanks, helen.

Comment

Working...
                                X