Moving from Arizona Oct 21st

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving from Arizona Oct 21st

I will be working full time for Organ Donor Center of Hawaii as a Transplant Coordinator (which is at minimum a 2 yr commitment with option to stay) and Chris will be going back to College to finish her degree in Education and putting her GI bill to good use as we are both prior military. We do have 2 dogs well behaved and spoiled as they should be, they are a Pug and a Boston that will join us in late November after there requirements for direct release are completed.
    We are set to fly in on the 21st of October and we are going to stay with family friends who own a condo in downtown Honolulu, and start to look at places immediately, as I have to start work on the 27th. We are going to ship one vehicle prior to us getting to the island so it is there waiting on us, and ship are belongings and other vehicle about 8 days prior so it arrives on the 24th and we can get a little unpacked over the weekend before I start working. Hope this plan works cause if not I may expolde. And thank you to all who have posted on here, you will never know how much it has helped........

Re: Moving from Arizona Oct 21st

Welcome! I hope your transitioning goes smoothly

Comment

Hi and welcome to you both! I'm pretty sure Oahu has room for two more! (and 2 good dogs!)
      ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Hi and welcome! Where are you coming from that gets shipping crates here in 8 days? Hope it all goes smoothly and as expected!

Comment

shucks! you may or may not be interested, siek77:

we will be flying to the big island this month and looking for another home to purchase. if all goes as planned, our current home will be available to lease/rent in mid to late january. mom's hospice nurse may be interested, but was only told of our situation this past wednesday and hasn't gotten back to us as of yet.

we are in the midst of doing minor repairs and exterior/interior painting so the house isn't available to view in it's current condition--it's not bad, but needs a few touch ups here and there. it's a 3b/2b with enclosed lanai with garage. there is also an attached cottage that is currently being rented and shares a common courtyard area. however, both have separate entries. your dogs would definitely not be a problem. we are animal lovers and have four of our own.

pm me if you are interested in more details.
          "chaos reigns within.
          reflect, repent and reboot.
          order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Best wishes for your venture.
            ===================================

Lifetime fan of the world famous Dallas Cowboys.

Comment

Hats off to you, my friend!

Comment

as an option when moving - have you considered selling your current vehicles (and saving thousands in shipping costs) and just replacing them when you arrive here? We already have more than enough cars on this island and there are plenty still sitting in car lots waiting to be driven away. Just a suggestion - I've never tried to move with a car but have heard it's very expensive and complicated.

good luck with the move and with your new job! You'll be working with a very important agency. They have done some good work here.
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                  - I've never tried to move with a car but have heard it's very expensive and complicated.
                  We have brought numerous cars home to Hawaii. If your car cannot be sold on the mainland for the same price that you'd be able to buy another (as reliable) car here, then the cost of shipping actually makes sense.

Sometimes bringing to Hawaii an already-paid-in-full, good running, 8 year old car (that could not be sold for much money on the mainland) is worth the approx $1000. in shipping. You'll start off at your new home with one less thing to worry about - reliable transportation. If you get a year out of the shipped car, it gives you a year to put off worrying about a new one (during a time when you'll already be busy sorting out a new job and home and schools and ... etc etc, you get the idea).

It is not all that complicated. And sometimes a very good value.

Good luck with your move.
                  Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Howdy and welcome to HT

I guess being prior military, the two of you are used to uprooting and moving to new places (though I assume it never gets "easy"). Glad to hear you have friends on O'ahu, to help you get settled in. I bet you'll be motivated to find your own place quick, when you realize how cramped a Honolulu condo can get.

Take care and cya around.
                    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                    "
                    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Working...
                    X