This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KGMZ Oldies 107.9 FM

It is reported today that several local on-air personalities at this radio station are losing their shifts and being replaced by a satellite music service starting next Monday.

Details at this link.

A satellite switch will remove some familiar voices from KGMZ-FM 107.9 come Monday morning.

This is the last weekday opportunity listeners will have to hear local radio hosts Sharen Nakashima at midday, Bart DaSilva in the afternoon and Ken "Hutch" Hutchinson in the evening on KGMZ-FM 107.9.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Re: KGMZ Oldies 107.9 FM

Originally posted by mel View Post
    It is reported today that several local on-air personalities at this radio station are losing their shifts and being replaced by a satellite music service starting next Monday.

Details at this link.
    BOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a sad "development"
    I like them all. Mahalo to them for making the day fun and pleasant! Take care and I'm sure things will work out for them. Satellite stinks.

Comment

Shoots! I was just getting good. I will miss the ShowTime playground and am looking forward to getting back in the game after football season. If we had some fun together, please know that that has been my most precious gift throughout my radio journey. Anyone can play you a song, not many of us any more can play while playing those songs. Tina Delgado is still alive.
      Keep searching for the "Lost Chord" Mel and fill your pockets with treasures along the way. Happy Trails. Ciao' babes! Awwwaah! -playing the part of
      "The Real" Ron O'Neil
      U Can't Go Back, But U Can Do It Again
      It's ShowTime
      tRRo'

Comment

I listened to Oldies 107.9 yesterday and heard a listener comment that the switch to satellite oldies reminds him of the old Cool 83 KIKI "Oldies Channel." I liked "the Oldies Channel" in the 1990s because they included 50s oldies. I doubt that "the Oldies Channel" today will play any 50s oldies. I'm pretty sure they will only play 60s and 70s oldies and even something from the 80s. I guess the only way to hear something from the 50s is to listen to Adult Standards sister 99.5 the Jewel.

Comment

Rontar, you went out in style this afternoon! The old Wili Moku airchecks were special and the roll call of all the names from Hawaii's broadcast past. I only wish I wasn't in my car. Listened to the last 10 minutes at home on the big Sony stereo.

Happy trails indeed.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Most of my iPhone is oldies, but I hate the KGMZ Oldies station.

There were tens of thousands of great songs that came out in the 1960s and 70s, but they play less than 500, and they play them over, and Over and OVER until I'm sick of "Sunny" and "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay."

Aretha may be the Queen of Soul, but they don't give her props by playing only a couple of her songs.

The Rolling Stones recorded over 300 songs, but they only play 5-10 of their songs.

Jeff Coelho said the market research was too expensive. I'm a market researcher and I'd urge him to stop the research, widen the play list, and stop playing the same old songs INTO THE GROUND.

Comment

Bob, I agree with your assessment of 107.9 FM's very limited playlist. Despite that, until today, they were at least in most ways, a radio station that had local personalities.

They also over the years have conducted voter polls and supposedly compiled a top 300 playlist from those votes and counted the songs down on some holiday weekend. I guess most of the recurring playlists are taken from those lists or maybe other "research".

About the only show that goes beyond the standard fare at KGMZ is Tom Moffatt's Rock n Roll Drive-In that airs Saturday mornings at 8 am to Noon. On that show he counts down the 15 or 20 top hits that were big in Hawaii on that particular date spotlighting a (old KPOI) chart from a particular year.

On those shows I've heard, he's managed to play a lot of songs from the 1950s, 60s, and 70s that were hits only in Hawaii and nowhere else in those days. And this is not limited to Hawaii only artists, but artists from other parts of the mainland and the world whose records only became hits in Hawaii.

For example in the 1970s.... "Keep it in the Family" by a group called The Road Home and "Long Time to Be Alone" by The New Colony Six.

Norm Winter's "Long Lost Oldies Show" which aired on Monday afternoons/nights for a while (he bought 2 hour blocks of time on KGMZ; don't know if he is still doing the show) generally goes deep and beyond the songs in standard rotation at KGMZ.

Of course now with only Ed Kanoi and Tom Moffatt continuing as live, local personalities, and the rest of the day serviced through a satellite programmer, it is almost assured that the same old hit songs will always be played and nothing so deep into artists lesser known hits.

Like you my iTunes are filled with more than 11,000 oldies (hit singles, album tracks, obscure cuts) that go beyond the usual 300 or so played on 107.9 FM. So you can guess what I am playing most in my 4 different iPods that feed off my iTunes library.

In the end, I think why many radio stations have gone to automated programming is the fact that costs have risen and many people have turned away from music radio to programming by themselves through the music they have available on iTunes, their iPods or other digital music players.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Creative-1 View Post

There were tens of thousands of great songs that came out in the 1960s and 70s, but they play less than 500, and they play them over, and Over and OVER until I'm sick of "Sunny" and "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay."

Aretha may be the Queen of Soul, but they don't give her props by playing only a couple of her songs.

The Rolling Stones recorded over 300 songs, but they only play 5-10 of their songs.

Jeff Coelho said the market research was too expensive. I'm a market researcher and I'd urge him to stop the research, widen the play list, and stop playing the same old songs INTO THE GROUND.
                Dear Creative One.. There were a few before you but who is counting. One very adequate programmer said once... If you go goofing and play a miss. Most folks will be tuning U out and catching the Rolling Stones' . because they missed your memory, so that is why I have to go off for a couple of minutes to make sure you remember the time. crap. I forgot to thank Michael and . also I hit my head.. Love to Cliff Richards. What an amazing voice and grace. Shake that head Cliff!
                Last edited by Rontar; September 14, 2008, 10:15 PM. Reason: missed writing a response
                It's ShowTime
                tRRo'

Comment

The Rolling Stones recorded over 300 songs, but they only play 5-10 of their songs, Creative said.
                  As a local, spontaneous Maverick this afternoon I cheated very nicely and played. "2000 Light Years from Home" . Very proud of that cheat. Oh! Just out of the all time all requested tunes of most folks time but I bet my Creative One friend would have been one of the few who did not punch me out for Rihanna. God I love Rihanna.
                  It's ShowTime
                  tRRo'

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                    Norm Winter's "Long Lost Oldies Show" which aired on Monday afternoons/nights for a while (he bought 2 hour blocks of time on KGMZ; don't know if he is still doing the show) generally goes deep and beyond the songs in standard rotation at KGMZ.
                    Sheriff Norm's "Long Lost Oldies Show" is still there, and I listened to it this evening. Thank God that show didn't disappear. The ironic thing about the "Long Lost Oldies Show" is that their oldies include Adult Standards tunes, e.g., Nat King Cole, Andy Williams, Gogi Grant, Eydie Gorme, etc. With Oldies 107.9 doing satellite oldies the rest of the time, I will tune to 99.5 the Jewel when I really want to listen to Adult Standards.

Comment

Mel makes a good point. The live DJ's are a very important part of the radio experience and will be missed by many of us.

I'm saddened by what looks to me like radio station owners who have no love for music.

I find that I'm taking a fresh look at my favorite artists' obscure album tracks and finding gold there. These songs never hit the charts and most never had any air time. But they were written and recorded by some amazing artists and many are beautiful.

Thanks for playing "2000 Light Years from Home" Rontar. I'm listening to it as I write this.

I love Rihanna too.

PS. Have any of you used iTunes 8.0's Genius Bar? It recommends songs others have that you might like based on one you select from your library.

I just upgraded to it this weekend and used it to download some obscure but nice tunes from Wishbone Ash, and Quicksilver Messenger Service.

For instance, I had overlooked some 30 y.o. Eagle Faves: Ol' 55 and Train Leaves Here This Morning, or the Doobie Brothers South City Midnight Lady and Toulouse Street.

Comment

For instance, I had overlooked some 30 y.o. Eagle Faves: Ol' 55 and Train Leaves Here This Morning, or the Doobie Brothers South City Midnight Lady and Toulouse Street.
                        I always really liked the Doobies' "I Cheat the Hangman," from the 1975 Stampede album. At something like 6:30, it rarely ever got any airplay except possibly late-nights on the AOR stations.

But you all make great points about there being so much great music on albums that never gets any airplay and therefore no exposure to people who might otherwise really appreciate those songs.

Comment

First off, my deepest sorrow to all those let go at KGMZ. I'm talking about Bart, Kenny, Sharen, Ron and the those on the weekend staff. It is no surprise that Jeff Coelho is behind this decision. If you look at Coelho's track record, he slashes radio talent at KPOI/KAHA The Big Kahuna most recently. Oh yes, justify your position by letting others suffer. It makes no sense.

I can see why they kept Tom Moffatt, but Ed Kanoi? He is the worst morning show host on the air. Clueless of the format and reads the weather every time he speaks, because he has no other crutch to talk about. Always laughing and mentioning how he doesn't know what's going on or how things aren't going correctly.

Now for Paul "The Kap'n" Stewart, is very knowledgeable, quick to the point, witty and knows radio morning show flow. I'll miss the scuds Kap'n used to shoot over Kanoi's head when Mr. Ed was clueless on the air. The Kap'n carried the morning show, the best of luck to him on KHCM. This will be short lived, because Coelho is setting him up to fail. No country music format has succeeded in Hawaii radio, the audience is not there. Kap'n should remain on KGMZ and Kanoi should have gone over to KHCM.

Let's look at the satellite switch that Erika Engle reported Colelho will implement. Having no talent and satellite radio verus local radio talent format stations. KGMZ in the last book was seventh overall in the 12+ numbers, the highest rated satellite rated station is KHVH at number 15. Way to go Coelho, wanting to bring down a successful station and numbers.

This just goes to show you that radio station owners and upper management today, does not care about the listeners or even the product they produce and send out over the air. All radio is today is real estate. Buy a station, cut cost, cut the on-air staff, bring in a computer, sit on it and tread water and then hope to turn a profit in a few years. By which the product is watered down, predictable because of a smaller music catalog and low cost to run.

I miss the old days of radio, when people used to say, "did you hear what Aku, Rabbett & Abbott did this morning." Those days are slowing going away. I am so lucky that the ipod is around. Remember Coelho the listener still has the choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Radiohead View Post

I miss the old days of radio, when people used to say, "did you hear what Aku, Rabbett & Abbott did this morning." Those days are slowing going away. I am so lucky that the ipod is around. Remember Coelho the listener still has the choice.

those days are are pretty much gone. here in hawaii anyway.

-vic
                            Enjoy this moment. This moment is your life.

Comment

I couldn't agree with you more.

Don't get me wrong. It's sad to hear about the local jocks going off the air. But the truth of the matter is that after a few weeks steady diet of listening to 107.9, the playlist is monotonous and the listening experience gets stale. Sad to say, but the handful of times I heard cool songs that came out of left field was, predictably, on syndicated programs like Dick Bartley's American Gold.

Whenever I'm at the office and I'm in the mood for oldies, I go to XM Radio online, where each of their oldies channels have infinitely broader playlists. I especially dig the edited Wolfman Jack shows.
                              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                              X