Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unsettled Economy

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    Supposedly, this first debate is to focus on foreign policy and national security. But with all the chaos happening on Wall Street, it wouldn't be surprising if the moderator decides to emphasize the economy instead.
    Especially since the two highlighted items are closely linked.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      Especially since the two highlighted items are closely linked.
      Leo I think you are spot on. Al Quaida is playing this very smart. They have our economy tied up in knots with fighting "wars" we cannot win. They have an American society that lives in constant fear and is willing to mortgage its future to make it risk free. Our economy IS our national security!

Are we a "great" society that has failed to adapt and change? Is the American society doomed? From Wikipedia: Jared Diamond in his recent book "Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed" suggests five major reasons for the collapse of 41 studied cultures.
      Are we next?
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
        Leo I think you are spot on. Al Quaida is playing this very smart. They have our economy tied up in knots with fighting "wars" we cannot win. They have an American society that lives in constant fear and is willing to mortgage its future to make it risk free. Our economy IS our national security!
        Bankrupting the U.S. has long been one of Osama Bin Laden's publicly stated goals.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
          And how many of us refused the "Economic Stimulus" rebate check? This is a tax rebate the country can't afford. Even Allen Greenspan says the government can't have tax cuts without corresponding cuts in spending and programs. Yet WE (the collective we) stand in line to accept the handout (maybe you could even call it a bailout).
          Why pick on the IRS stimulus package? That cost about a $150 billion dollars in total? How many times more money has our govt. spent in Iraq and Afghanistan the six years? You tell me that.

At least the IRS stiumulus payments result in money being spent and kept here at home, helping domestic businesses. If you ask me, that is a far better way to help our economy instead of sending those same dollars abroad.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Why pick on the IRS stimulus package? That cost about a $150 billion dollars in total? How many times more money has our govt. spent in Iraq and Afghanistan the six years? You tell me that.
            If you read through the thread, my response was to the statement, "It's not my fault." To answer your question, the military incursions in several places around the world have been multiple times more expensive than the IRS package.

The Economic Stimulus package is only one example that directly affected the average US taxpayer, that we could have done without. WE are responsible. WE are at fault.
            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Even though McCain has gotten a significant boost from his convention and has statistically tied with Obama in most of the major daily tracking polls, Obama still has a lead when people are asked who do they think will do a better job in handling the economy. (Conversely, McCain continues to lead when the same people are asked who they think will do a better job when it comes to national security.) It's looking more and more like this election will be one that is ultimately decided by people's pocketbooks.
              I think you’re reaching again. There’s a lot of people who are racist, pure and simple and are voting for McCain solely because he is white. All you have to do is look at the comments on “makeshift messageboards” attached to newspaper websites and on youtube. We on HT are actually the few intelligent ones. There’s a whole lot of stupid people in America. (Just look at who we re-elected in 2004!) And who can blame them? They’re a product of our failing, outdated, industrial-era public school system.

But I don't think any major shift will occur until the first presidential debate takes place next week Friday. Supposedly, this first debate is to focus on foreign policy and national security. But with all the chaos happening on Wall Street, it wouldn't be surprising if the moderator decides to emphasize the economy instead.
              Agreed. Simpleminded or intellectual, the majority want to hear the candidates debate the issues. Hopefully, the moderator and panelists don’t toss softballs.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

AIG is gonna get $85 billion loan from the fed reserve:

http://www.forbes.com/topstories/200...markets50.html

The Fed, apparently unable to convince private-sector companies to provide the cash, did the deal itself. That raises the question of whether the financial-services industry really felt that AIG's demise would have been catastrophic. The only alternative explanation would be that Wall Street won a game of chicken with the Fed, forcing it to rescue a private-sector company and setting a precedent that likely will be difficult to live down.

Time to stuff your money in the mattress.

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
                  [...]
                  Time to stuff your money in the mattress.
                  And hope your house isn't robbed or doesn't catch fire!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    And hope your house isn't robbed or doesn't catch fire!

Mason jar or coffee can buried in the back yard then? Hmm....wonder if I can find a coal heater for this winter.

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
                      Mason jar or coffee can buried in the back yard then? Hmm....wonder if I can find a coal heater for this winter.
                      I don't have a back yard...front or side either! That's one of the many reasons I like condo living 'cept there's no place to bury anything of importance!

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                        I think you’re reaching again. There’s a lot of people who are racist, pure and simple and are voting for McCain solely because he is white. All you have to do is look at the comments on “makeshift messageboards” attached to newspaper websites and on youtube. We on HT are actually the few intelligent ones.
                        I think your last statement is a bit of a reach, but whatever.

I never said that racism was not a factor. Of course, there will always be bigots who will never vote for an African-American, no matter what. Just as there are those who will never vote for a woman, no matter what.

But the diehard racists/sexists are getting smaller in number. Forty years ago, you would never have had the situation we have now, where one major party has a Black man, and the other has a woman. Believe it or not, attitudes in this country are slowly changing.

There’s a whole lot of stupid people in America. (Just look at who we re-elected in 2004!) And who can blame them? They’re a product of our failing, outdated, industrial-era public school system.
                        Blaming the public school system for what? For some people being racists? To me, that's behavior learned in the home.

If it's their voting habits,....then I think that's a silly observation. Voters have made bad choices in elections throughout history, not just in 2004.

And something to think about. If quality/level of education would have made someone more likely to have voted Democrat in 2004, then you might want to take a gander at exit polling data from that year. The results may not match up to your preconceived notions.

According to CNN's exit poll, those voters who did not complete high school voted for Kerry, 50-49%. If they graduated from high school, they voted for Bush, 52-47%. If they were college educated, they voted for Bush, 54-46%.
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Believe it or not, attitudes in this country are slowly changing.
                          We'll see.

Voters have made bad choices in elections throughout history, not just in 2004.
                          Yes, but if you had read my post carefully, you would have seen the word re-elect. Click here, for further clarification.

According to CNN's exit poll, those voters who did not complete high school voted for Kerry, 50-49%. If they graduated from high school, they voted for Bush, 52-47%. If they were college educated, they voted for Bush, 54-46%.
                          I’m not surprised you would interpret it that way. Am I the only one besides Leo Lakio who’s not a blind partisan on this board? I think you are the one with the preconceived notion. My remarks had nothing to do with the general election candidates and everything to do with leadership. I was referring to Mr. Smackdown, Wesley Clark, IMHO the only American general who has won a war since World War II. He should have been elected president in 2004.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                          USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

<< not a blind partisan >>
                            FutureNewsNetwork.com
                            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Yes, but if you had read my post carefully, you would have seen the word re-elect.
                              Ulysses S. Grant was re-elected President, despite numerous embarrassing scandals that plagued his administration. Franklin Delano Roosevelt was re-elected to a fourth term, despite looking visibly ill and underweight while campaigning. While FDR was a great president through his first three terms, his brief fourth term is mostly remembered for his less-than-sharp negotiations with Joseph Stalin at the Yalta Conference.

I’m not surprised you would interpret it that way. Am I the only one besides Leo Lakio who’s not a blind partisan on this board?
                              Of course. You would declare yourself the very epitome of objectivity. How could it be otherwise?

I think you are the one with the preconceived notion. My remarks had nothing to do with the general election candidates and everything to do with leadership. I was referring to Mr. Smackdown, Wesley Clark, IMHO the only American general who has won a war since World War II. He should have been elected president in 2004.
                              Wesley Clark. Oh, silly me. How could I have missed what should have been so obvious. Lesse, what did he accomplish in the 2004 Presidential race? Winner of a grand total of one Democratic primary. Dropped out of the running before that year's Super Tuesday. Yep, sounds like the kind of exploits that will be hailed in historical textbooks for the next couple of generations.

Comment

Check bankrate.com for the Safe and Sound Ratings of your bank.

Locally, it looks like BOH and First Hawaiian are solid, while Central Pacific Bank has the worst rating...

Comment

Working...
                                X