Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Hurricane is Coming, Should I Stay or Should I Go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Hurricane is Coming, Should I Stay or Should I Go?

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    Why do some people still think they can beat a hurricane and not evaculate? I lived on Kauai when Hurricane Iwa hit Kauai in '82, and fortunate to be on Oahu when Hurricane Iniki striked in '92. We have no choice in Hawaii to wait a hurricane out, because there's nowhere else to go.
    Exactly! Unless the government wishes to give us all a California vacation?!

PS:I helped out boater friends during Iniki and rode out Iwa well anchored in Keehi Lagoon.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

My Makaha condo building was the hardest hit building on Oahu during Iniki. Residents were evaculated <g> to a school in one of the valleys. We can't outrun the winds but we can outrun the tides.

Several residents chose to ride out the storm even tho' the condo complex is oceanfront! One elderly, handicapped gentleman with 2 teen boys refused to leave even tho' he lived on the ground floor. His sons strapped him on a surfboard that they held on to. As the tide and winds blew out their makai facing sliding doors and swiftly surged thru the entire unit and out the mauka facing bedroom window, the boys continued to hold on to the board working to steady it. At one point they were treading water in the bedroom. As the surge receded it sucked out the stove and refrigerator...it was that strong. Amazingly, all 3 survived, as did the other residents who stayed. A couple of tenants did not survive the aftermath, however, as their medical conditions were exacerbated by a loss of medication and the loss of utilities. By the time paramedics got to them it was too late.

It was a very scary, very destructive time.

During Iwa I lived in a single family home that wouldn't have been impacted by the tide from a hurricane altho' it was in the tsunami inundation zone. We stayed put except to pick up my kids from school when it was evaculated <g>!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        Residents were evaculated <g> to a school in one of the valleys.
        (...)
        We stayed put except to pick up my kids from school when it was evaculated <g>!
        Does the Board Of Education know about all this on-campus evaculation?!?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
          Does the Board Of Education know about all this on-campus evaculation?!?
          Isn't the Board of Edumacation pro-evaculation?

Comment

Yes, the Superattendent of Edumacation has said to wait until they see the police coming and follow their instructions, then everyone is to evaculate at the same time.
            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Yep, we are oceanfront, too, and we are all ready to evaculate at any time.

Comment

Pro? They're professional evaculators?!?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                X