Pizza?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pizza?

I can't believe this after 31 threads no one mentions pizza in the Kaukau Korner forum?

Oh dear!

Woe is me!

In any event sometime last week while going thru Sears Ala Moana I entered the store from the ewa side ground level where Zippys and the other food places are. And the Pizza Hut Express is no longer there.

I have been getting my pizza fix from Costco or from the Taco Bells. The Taco Bell location at Ala Moana seems to have the personal pan pizza sort of ready to go, while the South King/Keeaumoku Street location you have to wait at least 5 minutes to get a personal pan pizza.

Re: Pizza?

My fave is Papa John's. Excellent crust, good sauce(not too sweet), and can't beat the garlic butter and jalapenos. Luckily one just opened up in my neighborhood.

Costco pizza is pretty damn good. When I lived in HI Kai I used to walk over to Costco, grab a slice, sit at one of the tables near the water with a book. Good times.

NYC pizza is overrated in my book. When I was here circa '90-91 I remember it as being 'ono but now it seems like there are a lot of second-rate pizza joints around selling greasy, flavorless, over-processed pies. The good stuff is still there but it's very hit-or-miss.

Boston North End is great, I used to go there all the time when I would hang out in Kaimuki.

One thing I think is missing in Hawai'i (esp. downtown and Waikiki where there are pedestrians) is small-kine street food carts. You know, in NYC, Chicago, etc. you got hot dogs, pizza by the slice, pretzels, etc. In India you can buy samosas or pakoras. If you're not in the mood for a big plate lunch it would be nice to be able to just grab a manapua or spam musubi and a soda.

Comment

Big, floppy New York style is a favorite of mine as well... for which Boston's provides a good fix. When we lived in town, my family and I would go to the Manoa location. Their combos with spinach and garlic were great, though I often went with the basic pepperoni... folding it, of course, after adding red peppers and garlic salt to make a handy pizza sandwich.

I remember their first Kailua store. The employees there were a colorful bunch. (Although the flap a few years back about their owner's reluctance to hire locals dimmed the appeal a bit.)

I like Costco pizza too. A good price covers many sins!

For home delivery, I like Papa John's too, if only for the butter and garlic dipping sauce (sense a pattern?). We just tried Pizza Hut's gimmicky four-panel pizza, and while it's neat (and apparently a hit with kids), there's more crust there than anything else.

Comment

Well, the Pizza Hut Express is now combined with Taco Bell at Ala Moana, near McD's, so it isn't surprising they closed the one by Zippy's.

Papa John is pretty good but I think my favorite is that wacky "potpourri" version at Magoo's. Pineapple on pizza!

Occasionally I do buy a slice or two at Sbarro's in the Ala Moana Food Court but it's often on the greasey side and sloppy to eat.

Comment

Pineapple on pizza? Ack! Phthbbth! Ptui!

The whole concept of pineapple as a cooking ingredient has always escaped me. Pineapple and meats are just plain wrong. I shudder when I see "Hawaiian" recipes that call for putting pineapple over everything.

But getting back to pizza, I'm partial to the crust and tangy sauce they do at Domino's. Big Kahuna's over in Mapunapuna is also very good.

Comment

Well, I no stay da ‘āina, but ovah heah in Oregon we get one new company called "Flying Pie Pizza"... all hand-tossed crusts, and fills to make yoah mout' watah. Best pizza I evah wen grine....
            Aloha,
            Mokihana

Comment

"The whole concept of pineapple as a cooking ingredient has always escaped me."

Oh, I love "Pineapple Upside Down Cake", although admittedly, the pineapple portion of the "potpourri" pizza at Magoo's isn't my favorite part of that option. (It combines four types of pizza-toppings in one big pizza.)

Comment

I gotta admit that Papa Johns's Garlic Butter Sauce is pretty good. I do like Boston's North End Pizza but it's been awhile since I had it.

I agree with Albert about Sbarros as far as sloppy to eat but it's alright and there are selections to their offerings.

Comment

Here in Northern California I enjoy the Pizza from Little Italy. Best pizza I tasted. Tin crust is crunchy and pan pizzas are buttery.
                  I love pineapple in general and love it with anything I eat. Nothing beats a fresh pineapple put in the fridge, taken out and cut up with a little bit of salt. I also like spam and pineapple or Ham with a pineapple sauce.

Comment

Originally posted by aleno
                    Ham with a pineapple sauce.
                    That's an old standby. The Hotel Yokosuka next door to my apartment offered that, and when I was really hungry for home cooking (other than my own on my single gas burner in my two-room, six-tatami apartment) I'd go to their restaurant and order that for about 1,000 yen. (1973-1974 prices, mind you).
                    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                      Pineapple on pizza? Ack! Phthbbth! Ptui!

The whole concept of pineapple as a cooking ingredient has always escaped me. Pineapple and meats are just plain wrong. I shudder when I see "Hawaiian" recipes that call for putting pineapple over everything.
                      I also hate that. Mostly on the mainland, they have pineapples on "Hawaiian pizza".

Back on topic, lately I've been enjoying my pizza fresh from the oven (store bought from Sam's Club). Its usually ready in 15 minutes or so, and its a good deal for a family.

But if I go out, then I'd go with Pizza Hut's pizza. I've tasted Papa John's pizza, and to me, they don't do pizza right.
                      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I'm mostly the thick crust type of person but I can handle the thin crust. For me the worst pizza to eat would be the cheese only pizzas. Nothing against cheese, I like cheese, but not if it's the only thing on it.

Comment

Went to Sbarro for dinner today at Ala Moana. A couple of slices and a bottle of water for $10.

I think the worse part was the stuffed sliced that I had, the bottom crust was so soaked that it broke apart while I was eating it.

Comment

What I hate the most is if you gat a pizza where the crust not cooked good. there are times when I buy a pan pizza and the crust is so doughy like not cooked long enough.

Oh....convert 1,000 yens for me?

Comment

pizza hut pan style meat lovers is my favorite!!!can't handle papa john's..back in the 90's my hubby managed a papa john's.he actually went to papa john's pizza "college" in kentucky for 1 week.@ the time,our roommate,& 6 of the drivers 4 pj's all lived in the same apt.complex...soooo!!!we had tons &tons of it..i do miss the garlic butter tho..

Comment

Working...
                              X