Pizza?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Pizza?

My fondest memories of pizza was in college in San Diego. My last year my room mate and I lived across the street from a local pizza joint. Oh...they had broke da mouth pizza. For starters, they offered regular or whole wheat crust. Second, the pizza sauce came from a secret recipe that had a little spice to it. The cheese was tasty, but most importantly, they wrapped the crust over which contained their secret pizza sauce inside. The last bite was as good as the first.

What struck me with this pizza experience was that there were only 2 other locations of this pizza joint, San Jose, CA and Oregon. When my father left the islandz for mainland college in Oregon, he too, experienced this pizza joint during his college daze. He mentioned that it was an unforgettable tasting pizza.

I can remember many of nites out with the fellas while trying to sober up and chowing on Woodstock's Pizza. Yummm! Yummm! On sundays my room mate and I hosted pizza parties in our apartment while watching Married With Children and The Simpsons (early 90's) Brings back some wild memories.

Comment

When I was station in the Washington D.C. area in the early 1980's. Pizza Hut offered for a limited time a Pizza with shreded barbeque pork on it. Tasted just like the barbeque pork my co-worker use to bring back from North Carolina. The wife, kids and I use to go at once a week to Pizza Hut to eat that pizza. It was a big hit in that area that they brought it back twice more.

For me locally I am a Papa John fan love the hand toss crust and lots of jalapenos. Also can't get enough of the garlic sause. Unfortunately for me thought most people in my household prefer Pizza Hut. And a number of them order theeir pizza without tomato sauce, what is up with that.

Just purchased a "Presto 03430 Pizzazz Pizza Oven" from Amazon.com for $34. Can anyone recommend some good store brought pizza.

Comment

Here are some of my favorites:
        • Pizza Hut- Pepperoni and Supreme
        • California Pizza Kitchen
        • Boston's Pizza- Spinach and Garlic
        • Papa John's Pizza
        Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

In Hilo there's a small shop called Pizza Hawaii. They are located in the Puainako Towncenter , the pizza is the best in town and blows Pizza hut away in taste.
          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
          Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
            PIZZA MY HEART is good too also. They are pretty much everyewhere in the Bay Area
            I'm not exactly a pizza fan, but whenever I'm near one of the many Pizza My Hearts in Willow Glen, Campbell, Santa Cruz, etc. or near San Jose State, I usually grab a slice for five bucks because they throw in one of their t-shirts . . . stenciled with the city name.

I like the red surfboard logo (see? a link to Hawaii) & take several t-shirts with me whenever I know I'm gonna be stuck in Hawaii for any extended length of time. You can always use a white t-shirt.

I've tried several different pizza slices and I agree with Danny; they're pretty good.

If I'm going out for pizza, PIZZA CHICAGO is more my style. I especially like their vegetarian pizza with the thick bread-like crust.
            Last edited by Palama Kid; March 27, 2007, 02:37 PM. Reason: Needed to mention Pizza Chicago
            Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

The best pizza I had so far (never been to NYC or Chicago) was in Ventura (CA). I think the place was called Pizza Chief? Or something like that. It's relatively close to the pier.
              I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Originally posted by Palama Kid View Post
                I usually grab a slice for five bucks because they throw in one of their t-shirts
                A five-buck slice? OK, with a free t-shirt, that's better.

Is a second slice cheaper? You can say, "I already have the shirt, thanks."

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                  A five-buck slice? OK, with a free t-shirt, that's better.

Is a second slice cheaper? You can say, "I already have the shirt, thanks."

uhhhhh no just whatever the standard price per slice and the warm friendly service.

Comment

The absolute best pizza i've ever had was in Hermosa Beach, California. It was called "Pedones Pizza".

I used to like North Beach Pizza in San Francisco in the 80's (but it changed after that). Tommasso's also was a good place.

I have fond memories of my childhood eating Straw Hat Pizza, but I dont' think that chain exists anymore (or has for years).

Haven't tried much pizza here in Honolulu. Most people seem to order Pizza Hut or Papa Murphys (here at work anyways). I'm sure I'd enjoy the smaller home made pizzeries better. Moving next week to the lower Makiki area from the Punchbowl, so I;m sure I'llhave a better chance to sample some other pizza places..
                    n'importe

Comment

Anywhere on Oahu sell Chicago style deep dish pizza?

Comment

Big Kahuna by the airport is as close as it gets, Hurricane.

I miss the deep-dish joint that used to be around the corner from Cinerama Theater (before it became a Checkers) on Kalakaua.
                        "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post

I miss the deep-dish joint that used to be around the corner from Cinerama Theater (before it became a Checkers) on Kalakaua.
                          after weeks of us both trying to remember the name of the place every time we drove past kalakaua, i finally used ask.com to look up "pizza, kalakaua avenue" and discovered it was called emilio's pizza. i never had their pizza, which i know many said was cheap and amongst the best in town, but i did adore their carbonara, and it was in their restaurant that i first had escargot. unfortunately, in its latter years, whoever was in the kitchen performed very inconsistently. when it was good, it was heavenly. when it was bad...well, let's just say i was once served a carbonara with a "broken" sauce.

another pizza joint we miss is magoo's. they had the best pepperoni in town AND they delivered to eric's place. *sigh*

pizza hut lost both of us two years ago one night when we ordered delivery from them and it came almost two hours later. its better bites were cold and chewy; its worst had the texture of biscotti, but cheesily greasy. bleh.

my favorite delivery pizza now is papa john's thin crust, extra sauce, pepperoni, tomato and mushroom, with anchovies (what??!! that's what bagoong is made of, so of course anchovies are scrumptious to me!) and jalapenos or banana peppers on the side. i prefer to sprinkle dried oregano, basil and garlic powder on the pizza according to my whim versus use their special seasoning or garlic sauce. sometimes, i like to pour a little balsamic dressing on the pizza, which i'm sure some find disgusting. eh, better than eating pizza with ranch dressing, which is something my ex got me doing until i came to my senses.
                          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

We happened to be out in Kailua on Friday and found that Bob's Pizzeria had finally opened. It is in the spot formerly occupied by Deb's Ribs & Old School Soul Food next to Braun Urgent Care Clinic and just across the road from Kalapawai Market. Boston-style which means it's all about the crust - it was perfect. The sauce could definitely use more zing, but overall a decent pie. The better half was thrilled at the possibility of ordering a pizza topped with anchovies and artichoke hearts (I managed to dissuade him on this visit). They also have calzones. BTW, if you order a slice, you get like half a pie, so you have been warned! I think the price per "slice" is about $5. The place was packed on Friday and again on Sunday when we stopped by.

Comment

Saw the current pizza thread and dug this one up to bump it. Figured there had to be a best pizza thread already here.

I'm from Chicago and I and everyone I know there prefers thin crust pizza. The "Chicago style pan pizza" as a local favorite is a tourism urban legend. Sure, if you're feeding a 9 year old's birthday party or filling a buffet for beer-drinkers, stuff 'em full of bread. But if you're enjoying dinner with your family, stick to the good stuff.

My favorite place for pizza is in a village on the edge of the city called Elmwood Park. The restaurant is named Armands, no apostrophe.www.armandspizzeria.com/armands/armandreviews.htm Armands has been in business, at the same location longer than the 50 odd years I have been around.

Pepperoni doesn't belong on pizza, it should be on a submarine sandwich. Italian sausage is the only meat that should be on pizza. My nephew from California went to Armands, when he was a teenager, and asked for pineapple on his pizza. He was soundly rebuked. Check the menu on the link, pineapple is not listed as a topping. You order pineapple on your pizza, you may earn a wedgie.

I would like to try more pizza on Oahu. Magoo's sounds interesting. Did I hear it's closed? Papa John's is a joke and Pizza Hut is barely edible. Mama's in Kailua is another one that sounds interesting. My favorite so far is Round Table. Plus they have Bear's games.
                              Last edited by Fritz; May 14, 2009, 12:10 AM.
                              You can apply any terms to any situation to suit your perspective.

Comment

http://money.cnn.com/2014/01/14/news...ice/index.html

Mo small?

Comment

Working...
                                X