Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pizza?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Pizza?

I can't believe this after 31 threads no one mentions pizza in the Kaukau Korner forum?

Oh dear!

Woe is me!

In any event sometime last week while going thru Sears Ala Moana I entered the store from the ewa side ground level where Zippys and the other food places are. And the Pizza Hut Express is no longer there.

I have been getting my pizza fix from Costco or from the Taco Bells. The Taco Bell location at Ala Moana seems to have the personal pan pizza sort of ready to go, while the South King/Keeaumoku Street location you have to wait at least 5 minutes to get a personal pan pizza.

Default Re: Pizza?

My fave is Papa John's. Excellent crust, good sauce(not too sweet), and can't beat the garlic butter and jalapenos. Luckily one just opened up in my neighborhood.

Costco pizza is pretty damn good. When I lived in HI Kai I used to walk over to Costco, grab a slice, sit at one of the tables near the water with a book. Good times.

NYC pizza is overrated in my book. When I was here circa '90-91 I remember it as being 'ono but now it seems like there are a lot of second-rate pizza joints around selling greasy, flavorless, over-processed pies. The good stuff is still there but it's very hit-or-miss.

Boston North End is great, I used to go there all the time when I would hang out in Kaimuki.

One thing I think is missing in Hawai'i (esp. downtown and Waikiki where there are pedestrians) is small-kine street food carts. You know, in NYC, Chicago, etc. you got hot dogs, pizza by the slice, pretzels, etc. In India you can buy samosas or pakoras. If you're not in the mood for a big plate lunch it would be nice to be able to just grab a manapua or spam musubi and a soda.

Big, floppy New York style is a favorite of mine as well... for which Boston's provides a good fix. When we lived in town, my family and I would go to the Manoa location. Their combos with spinach and garlic were great, though I often went with the basic pepperoni... folding it, of course, after adding red peppers and garlic salt to make a handy pizza sandwich.

I remember their first Kailua store. The employees there were a colorful bunch. (Although the flap a few years back about their owner's reluctance to hire locals dimmed the appeal a bit.)

I like Costco pizza too. A good price covers many sins!

For home delivery, I like Papa John's too, if only for the butter and garlic dipping sauce (sense a pattern?). We just tried Pizza Hut's gimmicky four-panel pizza, and while it's neat (and apparently a hit with kids), there's more crust there than anything else.

Well, the Pizza Hut Express is now combined with Taco Bell at Ala Moana, near McD's, so it isn't surprising they closed the one by Zippy's.

Papa John is pretty good but I think my favorite is that wacky "potpourri" version at Magoo's. Pineapple on pizza!

Occasionally I do buy a slice or two at Sbarro's in the Ala Moana Food Court but it's often on the greasey side and sloppy to eat.

Pineapple on pizza? Ack! Phthbbth! Ptui!

The whole concept of pineapple as a cooking ingredient has always escaped me. Pineapple and meats are just plain wrong. I shudder when I see "Hawaiian" recipes that call for putting pineapple over everything.

But getting back to pizza, I'm partial to the crust and tangy sauce they do at Domino's. Big Kahuna's over in Mapunapuna is also very good.

Well, I no stay da āina, but ovah heah in Oregon we get one new company called "Flying Pie Pizza"... all hand-tossed crusts, and fills to make yoah mout' watah. Best pizza I evah wen grine....
    Aloha,
    Mokihana

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Miyashiro
    Pineapple on pizza? Ack! Phthbbth! Ptui!

The whole concept of pineapple as a cooking ingredient has always escaped me. Pineapple and meats are just plain wrong. I shudder when I see "Hawaiian" recipes that call for putting pineapple over everything.
    I also hate that. Mostly on the mainland, they have pineapples on "Hawaiian pizza".

Back on topic, lately I've been enjoying my pizza fresh from the oven (store bought from Sam's Club). Its usually ready in 15 minutes or so, and its a good deal for a family.

But if I go out, then I'd go with Pizza Hut's pizza. I've tasted Papa John's pizza, and to me, they don't do pizza right.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Quote Originally Posted by AuntieNellieKulolo
    My fave is Papa John's.
    I try not to support corporate chains that come here and ruin our islands, especially when we can find ono pizza at Magoo's:
    dollar steinees, small pizza, big enuff for two; ask for the combo with shrimp and capers. have em make it well done.
    Too good.

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Antonio's on Waialae Avenue next to the laundramatte under the overpass across from Kahala Mall.

Probably the best New York style pizza I've ever eaten.

Oooooooh yeah. I went there on my dinner break once or twice when I worked across the street. Sometimes I would sell my grandma for good pizza.

I have renounced Sbarro. I like CPK

I usually just make pizza instead of buying.

Quote Originally Posted by AuntieNellieKulolo

NYC pizza is overrated in my book. When I was here circa '90-91 I remember it as being 'ono but now it seems like there are a lot of second-rate pizza joints around selling greasy, flavorless, over-processed pies. The good stuff is still there but it's very hit-or-miss.
    You need to find the right place. In Manhattan, the pizza is not as good as it is in the boroughs (Queens, Brooklyn) and especially Long Island.
    Alot of Manhattan pizza places are crappy,and don't go to a RAY'S looking for good NY 'za...Ray's is a tourist pizza place. The mom and pops are the best.
    Last edited by tikiyaki; June 27th, 2006 at 07:43 PM.

To all you anchovy lovers:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060703/sc_nm/eu_anchovy_dc

"Anchovy fishing will be banned in the Bay of Biscay until the end of the year to preserve stocks, the European Commission said on Monday."

Better start stocking your shelves w/ them from the stores so that you can put em on your pizza by yourself.

It's not for me... Never understood the concept of fish on pizza

But then again...my wife can't understand the concept of pineapple on pizza

Default Pizza thread...?

I searched for a previous thread on this... sorry if I'm searching in the wrong place or something......couldn't find one....

However... who do you think has Hawaii's best pizza?

I had this really weird experience today.... and I was going to post it on HT's Hawaii's favorite Pizza....however there was no thread....

However... today... I dared myself to try 7-11's "Sandwich Pizza"

Holy smokes....the bugga was good.... I love pizza... and this bugga was decent for a quick 7-11 substitute.... think it cost $3.19 out of the warmer...had plenty meat.. plenty cheese...etc...

I think this is the best 7-11 product I've ever tried out of their warmer

Hey.... no need do dishes at least... j/k

Default Re: Pizza thread...?

Quote Originally Posted by manoasurfer123
    I searched for a previous thread on this... sorry if I'm searching in the wrong place or something......couldn't find one....
    You neva look hard enough!
    http://hawaiithreads.com/showthread....ighlight=pizza

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stwahine
    You neva look hard enough!
    http://hawaiithreads.com/showthread....ighlight=pizza

Auntie Lynn
    admin...please transfer my original thread....

Mahalo...

and 7-11 pizza sandwiches rock!

Please decribe the pizza sandwich to me, I want to try to make one. Was it like a folded-over pizza? Or like a sandwich? Baked? Fried? Bready? Crisp or thick? If you wanted to make one, yourself, how would you do it?

Thanks in avance

Quote Originally Posted by manoasurfer123

However... who do you think has Hawaii's best pizza?
    The only dedicated thread I could find on HT was Pizza?, started by Helen. Perhaps Admin should rename this thread "Hawaii's Best Pizza"?

Between the "big three", Pizza Hut is still my favorite.

As much as I love to shop at Costco, their concession stand Pizza ranks poorly on my list, mainly because of the "spongey" crust texture.

Still, they redeemed themselves in the frozen section when they recently brought in this Sicilian Chicken Pizza. Awesome!

I was very impressed with our order at Buca Di Beppo. It has that true hearth oven baked flavor and the sauce has a home-made flavor to it. Nice.

I love Hot Pocket Pizza! Cheap, easy and onolicious!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Exclamation Re: Pizza?

Threads merged. Be sure to search before posting a new topic. But if you do end up starting a new thread, it's not neccessary to make a whole production out of starting it. Mahalo!

Is there anywhere on Oahu that makes thin crust pizza, like what one finds in Italy?

I have never been to Italy but the places that tend to have thin crust is Boston North End, Magoo's (it's more of a soda cracker type of crust) and Pizza Hut as an option (even through they tend to market thick crust pizzas).

The Harbor Special (or whatever it's called) is a great pizza at Harbor Pub.

I generally stick with Boston's. Especially since there's one right down the street from where I live... mmm.... Big Red...

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard
    Is there anywhere on Oahu that makes thin crust pizza, like what one finds in Italy?
    Try Antonio's New York Style Pizza across the freeway from Kahala Mall. I never used to like thin crust pizza (grew up in the Chicago area with their deep dish pizzas) but I absolutely love Antonio's pizzas. They get many of their ingredients in from the East Coast (they cousins who own the place are of Italian descent and from the East Coast).

Um, is there anyone who DISLIKES Boston's Pizza? I don't like the stuff at all...it gets cold quickly and tastes HORRIBLE if it's not completely fresh. I like my pizza with more leftover staying power...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast