Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie to the forum and I'm moving to Hawaii

Aloha,

I wanted to get everyone’s input on my plans for moving to HI.

First, a little about myself. I am a 24yo professional from and currently living in Kansas City, MO where I have lived all my life. I have been in the professional world full time since I was 22. My degree is in Technical Writing with a minor in Computer Information Systems and I have worked for software and manufacturing companies alike.

I am planning on moving to Oahu this summer because it seems the most likely place to find solid work. I have been to Hawaii twice and I will be visiting this Feb. once more before I make the move. I plan on coming down for the move with between $3k and $5k. I will not have a car or any type of transportation and I am not worried about Rock fever or homesickness. I will be moving with minimal stuff for the first few months and take it from there. I realize I will probably have to do some restaurant work while I hammer out a job which I’m ok with (I have done plenty of that in the past). I plan on finding a month to month apartment when I first get down there and then use that as my base of operations for finding a better place and a solid job, maybe even go find someone to live with on roomates.com.

Does this sound like a pretty solid initial plan? I have never made a move like this and it’s a bit overwhelming. My main concern is making it work financially. I would appreciate any comments, suggestions, tips, or whatever.

Thanks,
    Zach
    Last edited by jzh797s; September 23, 2008, 04:59 AM.

Re: Newbie to the forum and I'm moving to Hawaii

Originally posted by jzh797s View Post
    [...]
    I am planning on moving to Oahu this summer because it seems the most likely place to find solid work.
    Serious question...how did you arrive at that conclusion?
    I have been to Hawaii twice and I will be visiting this Feb. once more before I make the move. I plan on coming down for the move with between $3k and $5k.
    Personally, I feel you've way underestimated this figure. This might only cover your first month's rent and the security deposit. The Hawaii Threads archives contain many discussions on this subject.
    I will not have a car or any type of transportation and I am not worried about Rock fever or homesickness. I will be moving with minimal stuff for the first few months and take it from there. I realize I will probably have to do some restaurant work while I hammer out a job which I’m ok with (I have done plenty of that in the past). I plan on finding a month to month apartment
    Hmmm...I'm not well versed on the current rental market or a predictor of next summers market, but I'm not sure that there are all that many month-to-month rentals available. Landlords like security. The exception is vacation rentals but they're expensive on a month to month basis. Craigslist might offer some insight.

If you end up with an appropriate rental on, say, the North Shore and a job in Waikiki you'll be faced with a very lengthy bus ride each day. Just something to think about!
    when I first get down there and then use that as my base of operations for finding a better place and a solid job, maybe even go find someone to live with on roomates.com.

Does this sound like a pretty solid initial plan?
    IMNSHO, Zach, it doesn't. Again, the HT archives will yield a wealth of information.
    I have never made a move like this and it’s a bit overwhelming. My main concern is making it work financially. I would appreciate any comments, suggestions, tips, or whatever.
    Something even more overwhelming is moving to Hawaii and running out of money with no fall back plan. What is your main motivation for making the move? I'd like to see you succeed but I personally feel you need to go back to the drawing board but that's just my 2¢! You need to arm yourself with more knowledge which this forum is full of!

Comment

Tutusue,

I appreciate your candor. Everything I have read so far leads me to believe that my best odds of finding a professional job (using my degree) will be on Oahu. Most of the apartments I have been looking at online are about $850 - 1k a month, but I thought that my inital monetary budget may be undershooting it a bit and you confirmed that. I will be selling my vehicle up here and will probably get around 7-10k from it. My figure for moving money will be closer to 10k-12k after recalculations. 3-5k is the worst case scenario if I wasn’t able to sell it.

My main motivation for moving is climate. Have you ever been in Missouri in the dead of winter? People don’t call it misery for no reason, lol. I love Hawaii, the climate, and especially all the outdoor activities it allots. I am a hiker, swimmer, camper, bike rider, fisherman, and hope to become a surfer. I have also taken up Photography and think that I could keep myself busy taking pictures for years there. Furthermore, seafood is my favorite thing in the world to eat and it isnt exactly the most fresh up her in good ol MO. I realize Cali and other places offer similar things, but nowhere in the world that I have been to offers the laid back and cheerful attitude of the Hawaiian people.

Thanks again for the 2¢, thats why I'm here. Ill keep on researching and looking through past threads.
      Last edited by jzh797s; September 23, 2008, 10:37 AM.

Comment

May all your dreams come true.
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

My husband's company is paying for us to transfer out to Oahu and they are allotting us 3K for housing alone. This doesn't cover transportation, gas, food, tolietries, furnishings/dishes, etc., a clothing budget or anything like that. We have a seperate budget for that. And that doesn't even get into medical coverage. You're young, yes, so am I (I'm 27), but you're also active. If you get sick or happen to injure yourself hiking or whatever, your starter job (while looking for the better job) isn't going to provide you medical insurance.

I'm scared to death to move even though his company is paying for the bulk of our moving costs. I can't imagine trying to do this on our own. I admire your bravery, and if this is truly what you want, really think it through- work here on the mainland for a while and save up some more. Just make sure you really have your bases covered and a fallback plan just in case.

Also, job-wise, try looking in the DFW area. There are still jobs in your field here. I used to do recruiting here. I know it's no Hawaii, but at least our winters aren't the miserable MO kind!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
            [...]If you get sick or happen to injure yourself hiking or whatever, your starter job (while looking for the better job) isn't going to provide you medical insurance.[...]
            Employee health insurance is mandated by the State, with limitations.
            Hawaii is the only state with an employer mandate. The state requires employers to provide health insurance to all full-time employees.
            A quick search turned up this interesting site.

My 2 hanai kids, when thrust into a situation where they had to work, found jobs as food servers. Since they were hired full time the restaurants had to provide health coverage. I was very thankful for that. I imagine lots of small business employers try to keep their employees hours to under 20/week.

Comment

That is very good to know! I had no idea! Sorry then for the misinformation, and thank you tutusue for the knowledge. As my husband and I currently have no health insurance now, I wonder if this will apply to us. Probably not, since he is only doing contract work through another company based in NJ, but helpful anyway.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Also, job-wise, try looking in the DFW area. There are still jobs in your field here. I used to do recruiting here. I know it's no Hawaii, but at least our winters aren't the miserable MO kind!
                Surlygirly! My buddy's new roommate moved here last week Wednesday from Colorado with a background in recruiting. (I never even knew that was a job) She had made 2 contacts from the mainland within 3 weeks before moving here, and she interviewed with them on last Friday and this Monday. This past Tuesday she started on her brand new, higher paying recruiter job here on Oahu!! Yay!! I love success stories!

(Just in case you were thinking of getting a job after you settle here...)
                ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

[...]I wonder if this will apply to us. Probably not, since he is only doing contract work through another company based in NJ, but helpful anyway.
                  Will your husband be payrolled thru that NJ company or thru a Hawaii company or will he invoice as an independent contractor?

Comment

(edit: changed my mind about responding)
                    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                    X