Canon EOS 5D MarkII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canon EOS 5D MarkII

Canon has a new DSLR in the works, whose new feature is the ability to capture video at 1080p 30fps. In many ways it can't compete with a professional video camera, but it rocks in two areas: 1) amazing low light performance, and 2) minimal gear you need to carry around. All for $2,7000.

Pulitzer prize winning photographer Vincent Laforet got his hands on a prototype. Canon gave him 72 hours to play with it. After rushing the logistics into place, he spent 12 hours capturing footage with minimal gear.

This is the movie he threw together:
    http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/control...articleID=2086

Here's the behind the scenes story (keep in mind the pictures you see aren't still photos, but frame captures from the video footage):
    http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2008/...try/#more-1085

Everything is in prototype stage, so there's a lot of hype, but it looks promising. I can't justify dropping $3K for a Sony PD-170 videocamera, but a Canon EOS 5D MkII...
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Re: Canon EOS 5D MarkII

Another preview from a respectable source, Michael Reichmann:
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/vi...-preview.shtml

And here's a video preview. He's a bit long winded. Sample clips can be found at the end:
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/vi...-preview.shtml

(in the video he says 1080i, but he corrects himself online and verifies it's 1080p)
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "

Comment

tempting!

Put it in a TV studio.
      Burl Burlingame
      "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
      honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
        Put it in a TV studio.
        As in you hope your TV studio (I assume you work in one) gets one, so you can play with it? Or do you think it'd only be useful in a studio?

[please keep in mind I'm not a video professional. correct the following if I'm wrong]

As a video camera, the 5DmkII has some significant limitations. The LCD screen can't tilt, so you'll tend to keep the camera at eye level. I imagine it'd be hard to use overhead. You could keep it low to the ground, but you'll have to squat or lie down. That precludes running with the camera down low.

It lacks the manual controls the pros are used to. Zoom is manual only, and I hear not the smoothest. I guess it depends on the particular lens. I don't think there's a way to control shutter speed and aperture (or if so, I doubt it's easy).

Audio is very important in video, and the 5DmkII lacks support in that area. It has a mic input, but just a mini-jack I think. It doesn't have one of those powered XLR connectors so your microphone selection is limited.

I doubt it has all those little things which allows the video seamlessly enter a professional video editing system. Synchronizing timestamps and all that stuff, especially if you use an external device to capture the audio?

Speaking of video editing, the video isn't stored raw; it's compressed. That means you're not gonna have a lot of wiggle room when using video filters.

Luckily I'm not a professional and I don't have the same needs. Most of the footage I've taken has been short clips, and nothing too fancy. Most of it has been at night or indoors, hence the appeal of shooting quality video at ISO 3200. My current weakness is audio, so maybe I'm not skilled enough to appreciate what I'd be missing if I went with a 5DmkII.

And in the end this is all day dreaming. Though I could "afford" the camera, it's not a necessity. It would definitely require a "Uh, honey..." conversation
        "

Comment

I'm pretty excited about this camera. I can't wait until the dpreview.com guys get their hands on an actual production model.
          I am Jack's absent signature.

Comment

Originally posted by kamapuaa View Post
            I can't wait until the dpreview.com guys get their hands on an actual production model.
            Same here. I like dpreview's detailed coverage. I'm curious to see how the 5D MkII's low light performance stacks up against the Nikon D700.
            "

Comment

3 grand?

tempting very tempting

will it also give you instrcutions on how to use it?
              stay forever young

Comment

Originally posted by Seeking Penance View Post
                will it also give you instrcutions on how to use it?
                If you mean instructions on how to be a better photographer, I doubt it. Consumerism thrives on making people believe they're better photographers just because they have expensive cameras. I currently don't have the skill to match this camera, so I shall continue to day dream.

On the other hand, if you're wondering whether the camera will come with a printed user manual, I'm guessing it will. To save money, some consumer electronics skimp on the manual and just give you an electronic version on a CD. I haven't seen the camera companies do this yet, but Canon cuts corners by not including a hood with its lenses.
                "

Comment

Working...
                X