No announcement yet.

Where can I get the best sushi on Oahu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I get the best sushi on Oahu?

I saw the old thread on this topic, but I thought in the years that there may be a new restaurant. Where can I get the best sushi? More specifically the best tuna?

I would like to know specifically about Waikiki, but I would go anywhere on Oahu for really amazing sushi.

Re: Where can I get the best sushi on Oahu?

sounds totally illogical, but the best sushi place in town is Mitch's Sushi in mapunapuna. Go to yelp.com for reviews and read nadine kam's review on star bulletin.com. If you can wait til tomorrow, I might be able to pm you some pics from when I took eric there for his birthday last August. It is pricey- about $200 for both of us. But you can take a look at their menu online (they're easy to find via google). The spiny lobster sashimi is so sweet and they make an end of dinner miso soup out of the shell and leavings for you to enjoy. In fact, I might have detailed that dinner in a previous entry on HT; just do a search for Mitch's sushi and you'll probably find it.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I ditto Mitch's Sushi. No other restaurant even comes close. Worth the $$ for a special occassion!
      Bitter & Sweet....all in one bite.

Comment

If you do Mitch's (which my sushi-loving friends say is easily the best on the island), do the $75 whatever-the-chef-brings-you deal. I haven't been there, but I have been to Sushi Sasabune, which is known for having a very demanding chef. A friend of mine saw him scold some young women for eating their nigiri sushi in bites. The women were offended and left.

We paid for the omakase and I think I lasted seven or nine courses; my share was $120. It was a heavy blow to my finances, but it was totally worth it. Best meal of my life.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Sorry! I was mistaken about having posted a Mitch's entry on HT. Maybe if I get my homework done early enough, i'll post about it tonight in this thread...with pictures, even!
          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
            If you do Mitch's (which my sushi-loving friends say is easily the best on the island), do the $75 whatever-the-chef-brings-you deal. I haven't been there, but I have been to Sushi Sasabune, which is known for having a very demanding chef. A friend of mine saw him scold some young women for eating their nigiri sushi in bites. The women were offended and left.

We paid for the omakase and I think I lasted seven or nine courses; my share was $120. It was a heavy blow to my finances, but it was totally worth it. Best meal of my life.

two comments here: (1) it's now $95, not $75, but it includes lobster sashimi and abalone sashimi, which, if purchased ala carte, are $52 and $50, respectively. (2) no matter how big the piece is, i've learned to eat sushi properly--in one bite--all to eric's amusement, as well as the sushi chef's approval.

pictures from eric's bday dinner at mitch's last month, from left to right are:

(1) tableau of hamachi ($8), toro ($20), & mirugai ($12). all prices are for two pieces. note that the rice underneath the fish is maybe an inch and a quarter long & half an inch wide, with the fish at least twice as long as that in the case of the toro and hamachi.
            (2) one of two bowls of lobster miso made from one order of lobster sashimi
            (3) jewels of fish behind the glass. my mouth waters just looking at this picture. note the fattiness of the salmon and the toro.

mitch's menu here.

we loved that they had fish we've never seen in other restaurants: salt water eel (anago), spotted sardine (kohada), kampachi, and monkfish liver (ankimo), which people who enjoy both foie gras and raw fish would love (we did). monkfish liver is rightly called "le foie gras de la mer," and i would say that is an accurate statement.

i'm too tired to write the place up properly, so here's an entry from gochiso gourmet that says it all well enough.

make sure that if you BYOB, you bring enough to share with the sushi chefs. also, you MUST MAKE RESERVATIONS, or risk being told to come back at some later hour or *gasp* another day. and do not go alone. it's a shame to go alone, not bcs you're alone, but bcs eating at a restaurant like this is an experience best shared. besides, you won't possibly be able to quaff down the two large bowls of lobster miso you'll get, because there's no way you'll be able to resist ordering the lobster sashimi anyway. let me tell you--that lobster sashimi will make you wonder why people ever cook lobster instead of eating it raw all the time, presuming they get it fresh.
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X