Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Growing Up In Hawai'i

Default Growing Up In Hawai'i

What is it like growing up in Hawai'i? What things set apart growing up in Hawai'i from growing up in other places? Are there unusual things kids get to do there?

I grew up at the beach in Cal, near Mexico. We ran around on the cliffs, we surfed and skateboarded, we snuck into Tijuana and drank, we had beach parties, we drove up to LA and cruised the Sunset Strip. You'd park on Mt. Soledad, you'd go to the Ace Drive In for only $1.25 a car for horrible movies (but who was watching?)...it was a fun place to grow up. How about you? What was it like for you as a kid where you grew up?

Default Re: Growing Up In Hawai'i

I grew up in Iowa.

(sound of crickets ... not chirping, because they are bored, too. )

Nah - it was a good place to be from.

Default Good one, Leo!

This is a great topic, and one that I've always wished I could know about everyone who had the fortune to be raised in this fine state, taking the bad with the good. I hope it get's plenty of replys.

As Leo say's, "it's a good place to be from", and that's how I feel about LA/So Cal. If you grew up there, you probably know it was one of the best places to do so, especially if it was as a 'baby boomer'. I consider myself to have been very lucky to be born a winner and then extend that luck into being in the right place at the right time and knowing the right people to live the life most kids my age accross America were only dreaming about.
    You can see my childhood friend, Dennis Roth/Lil' Daddy and some cool pix here - www.rothoriginals.com
    Funny tho, Danny Sugerman was the one kid that lived the life I dreamed about, that being more than a fly on the wall inside The Doors organization.

LA became a good place to be 'from' by '75, and luck was with me again as I landed on Oahu.

I love(d) LA!

Cool Re: Growing Up In Hawai'i

I was raised in Ewa, Fernandez Village. Walk to school, walk where ever all over barefooted. It was a much more simple time, Hawaii in da 60's. I walked to Hula practice; from Fernandez Village to Haole Clubhouse. Ewa had Japanee Camp, Korean Camp, Banana Camp, Mango Road, Tenny Village, Verona Village, Haole Camp; and nobody was offended. Each place had all different nationalities but way way back in the day it started out as Korean camp or whateva.

Everbody new everybody. Literally. If you did something wrong any adult who saw you be "naughty" could & would pinch your ear or buss out da slippa. Anden dey would tell your parents and you get lickens again.

As a kid, I think we lived to go out and play. Climb a tree, walk to Pakay stowa, trow rocks, go to the park, play chasemasta etc etc etc. We stayed outside and played. If you stayed in the house shoots you end up having to clean something.

Anden in HS we use to hitchhike. Oh but we won't go there.
    Last edited by GypsyLika; September 25th, 2008 at 01:45 PM.
    ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

heh lika, i grew up in ewa beach--the older part during the same time as you. we used to go to tenny village for dinner sometimes. who taught you hula back then? i started dancing when i was 5 and took lessons from auntie joanie lindsey. remember when they would burn the sugar cane fields and the ashes would float around the area for miles? what about old farrington highway? that was the only way to the west side. no houses just cane fields. one lane in and one lane out.

i loved going to ewa beach park and picking ogo with my granny and other family members. my best friend and i would walk miles during halloween to trick-or-treat. playing the ukulele or guitar; riding skateboard; playing flag football in the streets; playing catch with my dad; going to his mountain ball games. barney's burger house and their smashed cow burger; woolworth's and sloop john b's.

happy times, sad times. boy was i a tom boy!
    "chaos reigns within.
    reflect, repent and reboot.
    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

What is "chasemasta"?

Remember the good old days, when children were expected and required, by ALL adults, to behave themselves. Then the ACLU got involved, and for some reason we can't figure out why our schools are failing.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

i think we called the game "chase" chasemasta as in chase master. at least that's what i remember.

the famous line from our mother was, "just wait 'til your father gets home." that's it, you knew you were going to get it with the black belt or da slippah. good thing we learned rather quickly.
    "chaos reigns within.
    order shall return."

Quote Originally Posted by timkona View Post
    Remember the good old days, when children were expected and required, by ALL adults, to behave themselves. Then the ACLU got involved, and for some reason we can't figure out why our schools are failing.
    Ow - my neck snapped from that extreme bit o' thread-twisting. Tim - can you leave any thread to itself, without turning it into an opportunity for one of your off-topic rants perspectives?

Comparing the change of times in terms of child rearing is right on target for this thread. After all, most would admit that we all grew up in a slightly different time. Behavior standards have relaxed over time.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Thumbs up Re: Growing Up In Hawai'i

a product of divorced parents - i spent my summers and holidays at my mothers with her second husband in anchorage, alaska - i unfortunately was stuck with my father and his second wife in san francisco, california (san mateo to be exact) when school is in session

i enjoyed my childhood years, i was an evil child, a menace to our neighbors - the devil's spawn (so i was told). some say it was cry out for attention. i did it - simply because i could do it and got away with it.

during the summers we would pack up the motorhome and drive down to kenai, alaska - salmon fishing. it was always a white christmas.

elementary years - i was causing havoc. a vivid memory comes to mind - during recess i dusted the eraser in one of the students eye...boy did i pay for that one....i was instrutced to stand at the corner - with both my hands in the air for 3 whole hours.....if that wasn't punishment enough - i was also told to recite and chalk the following sentence 200 times "I Lomi will seek penance" - enough said. that alone didn't do justice, i was at it again the next day. a rascal child i was.

i can also remember running around the san jose swap meet as child on the weekends - my step mother had a booth/kiosk out there sellling hand made crafts and quilts she sewn.

shortly after i grew out of my elementary years i was shipped off to mother and spent my teens in anchorage, alaska - boy was that a mistake - i would spend after school hours at earthquake park located by the airport - drinking and smoking with the rest of the other heathens from junior high and high school - we spent our weekends at kincaid park to pass the time. during the winters we went ice fishing down the street or behave like fools skiing at hillside. we would drive out to wasilla every other summer - camping at grandma lucy's.

enough said

Ahhh, the younger days, where you didn't have the signs, "Do not enter", or "Private Property". Where you have to find public access and parking to get that ole' swimming or camp grounds. (If still there) Where access is no longer denied, because too much people getting injured and the state gets sued. As they say enjoy, when you can, while still dea'....

-The old mud and water slides up the mountain. So smooth and natural, landing in the cleanest of water ponds. Where mountain apples and fresh water was there to sustain you.
    -Walking home, picking up lychee and other fruit was abundant and neighbors gave freely. Playing in the rivers and the mountains. Enjoying the scenes of the waterfalls.
    -Enjoying the free fresh sugar cane stalks and the laugh of coconut man with wheelbarrel & hat. Talking story with blind Kapuna man to make his lauhala hats and give good advice.
    -Enjoying the campouts with friends; guitars in hands and eat what you catch. Before, we could make fire on the beach to keep warm.

Plenty to say, times change, but gotta' say - good company helps when growing up .....
    ... They said I'm much better now .... Tee Hee ...

Born and raised in SoCal had some benefits, like not being too far from the islands My first visit was when I was 5 to meet my extended ohana on the island of Oahu. Since then, I had the great fortune to spend many summers with my cousins and visiting outer islands to meet additional relatives.

Small keiki memories include picking ogo at Ewa Beach and eating it right there in the ocean , attending church bible camp with friends named Mapu and Manu, going to the new arcade center in Honolulu (forgot the name), working with my auntie and cousins on the farm, and boogie boarding at Makaha over the reef at about 3 feet deep Also, listening to radio (can't remember the station) that did a segment on having kids talk on the phone with other similar age kids. (I tried calling in, but never got through)

Watching the Andy Bumatai shows on TV and going to comedy shows with Mel Cabang were real fun too. Luckily, with many prior visits, I was able to understand much of the local humor and the pidgin jokes that were mentioned.

I continued returning for summer visits during my college days taking a high school buddy to introduce him to the islands. He immediately connected with the islands and my extended ohana. He is of Mexican ethnicity and could easily be mistaken as a native Pacific Islander of which my ohana affectionately dubbed him the name of Ed "Kealoha" from the mainland.

Today, as my wife and I raise our two keikis, I plan to return to the islands to teach them about some of the things that I learned and part of their heritage. Hawaii is so many things on so many different levels, that each time I visit, it is a spiritual renewal as well as a pilgrimage for my ohana and me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake's Ohana View Post
    Born and raised in SoCal had some benefits, like not being too far from the islands My first visit was when I was 5 to meet my extended ohana on the island of Oahu. Since then, I had the great fortune to spend many summers with my cousins and visiting outer islands to meet additional relatives.

Small keiki memories include picking ogo at Ewa Beach and eating it right there in the ocean , attending church bible camp with friends named Mapu and Manu, going to the new arcade center in Honolulu (forgot the name), working with my auntie and cousins on the farm, and boogie boarding at Makaha over the reef at about 3 feet deep Also, listening to radio (can't remember the station) that did a segment on having kids talk on the phone with other similar age kids. (I tried calling in, but never got through)

Watching the Andy Bumatai shows on TV and going to comedy shows with Mel Cabang were real fun too. Luckily, with many prior visits, I was able to understand much of the local humor and the pidgin jokes that were mentioned.

I continued returning for summer visits during my college days taking a high school buddy to introduce him to the islands. He immediately connected with the islands and my extended ohana. He is of Mexican ethnicity and could easily be mistaken as a native Pacific Islander of which my ohana affectionately dubbed him the name of Ed "Kealoha" from the mainland.

Today, as my wife and I raise our two keikis, I plan to return to the islands to teach them about some of the things that I learned and part of their heritage. Hawaii is so many things on so many different levels, that each time I visit, it is a spiritual renewal as well as a pilgrimage for my ohana and me.
    You got your local born and your local at heart. You got the heart.

Comparing the change of times in terms of child rearing is right on target for this thread.[...]
    Sorry, Tim, it's not. That subject is currently being discussed here.

remember the puka shell craze? we'd spend the weekends hunting for them. dad made all kinds of jewelry.

yes, everyone knew everyone else and it was fun spending time at granny's sister's house in waiahole where we'd also pick mountain apples, lei. gee i wonder if we bumped into eachother while picking ogo at ewa beach park? granny, imo, made the best pickled kind.
    "chaos reigns within.
    order shall return."

Still have my collection of puka shells, stopped only 2yrs ago. Got knocked around too much by the waves and kinda' like not the same right now, getting betta'. Probably, with the mountain apples .... lived in Kaneohe, in the hanna butta' days.

Finding good seaweed, more lucky outer island these days though. Ewa was choice for the night dive area's. Ono lobster spots. Small this island, you going bump into somebody again. I'm just bad with names

How bout' back then, when the man came calling out with the bamboo on his shoulder and the containers at the end. "Chariu Bao". Or when they had contest in Kaneohe on who can find the famous ... Lani Moo. Okay, went too far back ... getting old ....

Well, I, too, grew up in L.A.--in the San Fernando Valley, for those of you familiar with the area. I was a boomer, so it was, as far as I could see, a charmed life. My parents had a small but decent home, I had one older sister, and we rarely wanted for anything. My parents were NOT wealthy, but they provided for us well and sent us to Christian school, and when it was birthdays/Christmas, it was their joy to give us nice gifts and also many wonderful memories. Dad had a good job with the telephone company, so he had a very steady income. We never, ever had to consider things like an alcoholic parent or one of them stepping out on the other. I remember playing outside--both out front and in the back--till it was dark, with a bunch of neighborhood kids, all summer; playing pinochle as a family at the kitchen table till we were rolling on the floor with laughter; swinging on our swing set to the cricket chirps--just "stuff", but sooooooo good. (This was before you had to have every moment of your day, whether it be summer or school days, taken up by some sport or extra-curricular activity.) Mom didn't work and she would bake quite often, giving us cupcakes when we got home, and I can still see us standing at the stove while she taught me how to cook several things. Believe me, there were plenty of rough times, too, but my parents loved each other and that gave us the stability we needed in our lives. Living in LA back then was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo different than living here now. I hope to get out of here someday. (Maui would be nice--haha) I'm so glad I grew up at the time I did--things were so much better; people were nicer; you didn't have to be afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by HawaiiMama View Post
    Well, I, too, grew up in L.A.--in the San Fernando Valley, for those of you familiar with the area.
    I, too, spent a few years there. Attended Rio Vista Elementary and Walter Reed JH.
    [...] I remember playing outside--both out front and in the back--till it was dark, with a bunch of neighborhood kids, all summer;
    Yep...me, too! And, remember the Good Humor ice cream truck?! We played tag, hide and seek, basketball, hop scotch, cowboys and indians, jump rope, house. And then there were the weeks at the beach...always my favorite. I don't ever remember uttering, "I'm bored."!
    [...]Living in LA back then was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo different than living here now.
    I agree however one of my strongest memories is of the smog, the smog alerts and having to stay inside during recess because it was so bad. And this was during the early to mid 1950s.
    I hope to get out of here someday. (Maui would be nice--haha) I'm so glad I grew up at the time I did--things were so much better; people were nicer; you didn't have to be afraid.
    Those were certainly different times...so carefree.

Where I lived, the local San Diego TV stations wouldn't come in because the mountain blocked their signals but LA stations came in fine, so my childhood TV favorites were all LA shows: Captain Zoom on channel 2, Engineer Bill on channel 9, Sheriff John on channel 11, Skipper Frank on channel 5, and Wrangler Jim on channel 7. I know a lady who was a neighbor of Sheriff John then, she said he was a really nice guy, every bit as nice in person as he was on TV. I was glad to hear that. I think Engineer Bill was famous for some kind of outrageous obscene outburst on the air once, just the thing for impressionable young minds.

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    And, remember the Good Humor ice cream truck?!
    Yep. And remember the milk delivery trucks that came house to house? I want to say it was Adohr Milk, but.
    Wait. Look at this L. A. Time story that I found! A flashback on Good Humor, Adohr, and more.
    Those were the days.

We played tag, hide and seek, basketball, hop scotch, cowboys and indians, jump rope, house.
    At that young age you played house?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalalau View Post
    Captain Zoom on channel 2, Engineer Bill on channel 9, Sheriff John on channel 11, Skipper Frank on channel 5, and Wrangler Jim on channel 7.
    Wasn't it Engineer Bill who got us to drink our milk with the "Red light... green light" game?
    Wait. Engineer Bill is on YouTube at this link!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (And the red light green light game is there, starting about 7 minutes in.)
    I'm absolutely shocked that I remembered RLGL after 50 years or so.
    Anyway, that same YouTube spot also has Sheriff John, Chucko The Birthday Clown, and... Soupy Sales.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Quote Originally Posted by kani-lehua View Post
    heh lika, i grew up in ewa beach--the older part during the same time as you. we used to go to tenny village for dinner sometimes. who taught you hula back then? i started dancing when i was 5 and took lessons from auntie joanie lindsey. remember when they would burn the sugar cane fields and the ashes would float around the area for miles? what about old farrington highway? that was the only way to the west side. no houses just cane fields. one lane in and one lane out.

i loved going to ewa beach park and picking ogo with my granny and other family members. my best friend and i would walk miles during halloween to trick-or-treat. playing the ukulele or guitar; riding skateboard; playing flag football in the streets; playing catch with my dad; going to his mountain ball games. barney's burger house and their smashed cow burger; woolworth's and sloop john b's.

happy times, sad times. boy was i a tom boy!
    I took hula from NT Kuulei Clark, she came from Aiea. I love going to Ewa Beach to pick sea weed la dat, sad nowdays no moe. We use to go Hau Bush alot too. My oldest sista is from da first graduating class of Campbell anden us moved to Waipahu.

Oh da Tavern in front da gym. Dey had da bestest Hamburga Steak and great cream pies.

OH fo'reals TrickorTreat time; from Fernandez Village us walked all da way to Tenny Village by da gym side cause everybody knew Mrs. Ching gave out her pickled mango. No way would stuff la dat happen dese days.

When dey burned cane by the Ewa Graveyard all us kids who live in dat area would go hangout right across da street & watch. It was like raining ashes. Thats so unhealthy but nobody told us that. Same wit da mosquito truck. We would all run in da fumes. Auwe. No wonda I turned out all lolo
    ~Lika

Quote Originally Posted by GypsyLika View Post
    Same wit da mosquito truck. We would all run in da fumes. Auwe. No wonda I turned out all lolo
    Haha. I bet it smelled good, though
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

What is "chasemasta"?

Chasemasta = Tag

The ACLU did not have notting to do wit raising my kids. Me&DH raidsed our kids. Till dis day I expect my kids to behave demselves and no make A. Anything stupid, ugly, mean, or negative etc. dey do is a reflection of ME. I will be da first to karang dem upside da po'o should dey bring any kinda shame to da ohana.

The schools shouldn't be raising our kids they should be teaching them. The kids failure are a reflection of the lack adults expectation and/or direction. Look at the kids parents or lack of and.....
    ~Lika

lika: yeah, i was going to mention hau bush, but forgot to.

i don't remember the mosquito trucks, but do hear people talking about them and running through the "smoke screen." a friend of mine thinks that's why she is infertile?

campbell high school's baseball field was literally our back yard. the only thing that separated us was a chain link fence. we'd sit under the mango tree with dad's friends and watch the games.

another good memory of growing up was going to st. joseph's school in waipahu. they had the best lunches and their butter cookies were da bomb! tetherball, hopscotch, dodgeball, basketball and track were some other activites we played on the grounds. oh, yeah and agmata store had the best fried noodles.
    "chaos reigns within.
    order shall return."

In Illinois everyone (but me, my mom wouldn't let me amongst so many things not allowed) was running through the fog the mosquito trucks made nightly in the neighborhood I remember it really smelled nasty.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast