Growing Up In Hawai'i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing Up In Hawai'i

What is it like growing up in Hawai'i? What things set apart growing up in Hawai'i from growing up in other places? Are there unusual things kids get to do there?

I grew up at the beach in Cal, near Mexico. We ran around on the cliffs, we surfed and skateboarded, we snuck into Tijuana and drank, we had beach parties, we drove up to LA and cruised the Sunset Strip. You'd park on Mt. Soledad, you'd go to the Ace Drive In for only $1.25 a car for horrible movies (but who was watching?)...it was a fun place to grow up. How about you? What was it like for you as a kid where you grew up?

Re: Growing Up In Hawai'i

I grew up in Iowa.

(sound of crickets ... not chirping, because they are bored, too. )

Nah - it was a good place to be from.

Comment

Good one, Leo!

This is a great topic, and one that I've always wished I could know about everyone who had the fortune to be raised in this fine state, taking the bad with the good. I hope it get's plenty of replys.

As Leo say's, "it's a good place to be from", and that's how I feel about LA/So Cal. If you grew up there, you probably know it was one of the best places to do so, especially if it was as a 'baby boomer'. I consider myself to have been very lucky to be born a winner and then extend that luck into being in the right place at the right time and knowing the right people to live the life most kids my age accross America were only dreaming about.
      You can see my childhood friend, Dennis Roth/Lil' Daddy and some cool pix here - www.rothoriginals.com
      Funny tho, Danny Sugerman was the one kid that lived the life I dreamed about, that being more than a fly on the wall inside The Doors organization.

LA became a good place to be 'from' by '75, and luck was with me again as I landed on Oahu.

I love(d) LA!
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I was raised in Ewa, Fernandez Village. Walk to school, walk where ever all over barefooted. It was a much more simple time, Hawaii in da 60's. I walked to Hula practice; from Fernandez Village to Haole Clubhouse. Ewa had Japanee Camp, Korean Camp, Banana Camp, Mango Road, Tenny Village, Verona Village, Haole Camp; and nobody was offended. Each place had all different nationalities but way way back in the day it started out as Korean camp or whateva.

Everbody new everybody. Literally. If you did something wrong any adult who saw you be "naughty" could & would pinch your ear or buss out da slippa. Anden dey would tell your parents and you get lickens again.

As a kid, I think we lived to go out and play. Climb a tree, walk to Pakay stowa, trow rocks, go to the park, play chasemasta etc etc etc. We stayed outside and played. If you stayed in the house shoots you end up having to clean something.

Anden in HS we use to hitchhike. Oh but we won't go there.
        Last edited by GypsyLika; September 25, 2008, 12:45 PM.
        ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

heh lika, i grew up in ewa beach--the older part during the same time as you. we used to go to tenny village for dinner sometimes. who taught you hula back then? i started dancing when i was 5 and took lessons from auntie joanie lindsey. remember when they would burn the sugar cane fields and the ashes would float around the area for miles? what about old farrington highway? that was the only way to the west side. no houses just cane fields. one lane in and one lane out.

i loved going to ewa beach park and picking ogo with my granny and other family members. my best friend and i would walk miles during halloween to trick-or-treat. playing the ukulele or guitar; riding skateboard; playing flag football in the streets; playing catch with my dad; going to his mountain ball games. barney's burger house and their smashed cow burger; woolworth's and sloop john b's.

happy times, sad times. boy was i a tom boy!
          "chaos reigns within.
          reflect, repent and reboot.
          order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

What is "chasemasta"?

Remember the good old days, when children were expected and required, by ALL adults, to behave themselves. Then the ACLU got involved, and for some reason we can't figure out why our schools are failing.
            FutureNewsNetwork.com
            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

i think we called the game "chase" chasemasta as in chase master. at least that's what i remember.

the famous line from our mother was, "just wait 'til your father gets home." that's it, you knew you were going to get it with the black belt or da slippah. good thing we learned rather quickly.
              "chaos reigns within.
              order shall return."

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                Remember the good old days, when children were expected and required, by ALL adults, to behave themselves. Then the ACLU got involved, and for some reason we can't figure out why our schools are failing.
                Ow - my neck snapped from that extreme bit o' thread-twisting. Tim - can you leave any thread to itself, without turning it into an opportunity for one of your off-topic rants perspectives?

Comment

Comparing the change of times in terms of child rearing is right on target for this thread. After all, most would admit that we all grew up in a slightly different time. Behavior standards have relaxed over time.
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com
                  Energy answers are already here.

Comment

a product of divorced parents - i spent my summers and holidays at my mothers with her second husband in anchorage, alaska - i unfortunately was stuck with my father and his second wife in san francisco, california (san mateo to be exact) when school is in session

i enjoyed my childhood years, i was an evil child, a menace to our neighbors - the devil's spawn (so i was told). some say it was cry out for attention. i did it - simply because i could do it and got away with it.

during the summers we would pack up the motorhome and drive down to kenai, alaska - salmon fishing. it was always a white christmas.

elementary years - i was causing havoc. a vivid memory comes to mind - during recess i dusted the eraser in one of the students eye...boy did i pay for that one....i was instrutced to stand at the corner - with both my hands in the air for 3 whole hours.....if that wasn't punishment enough - i was also told to recite and chalk the following sentence 200 times "I Lomi will seek penance" - enough said. that alone didn't do justice, i was at it again the next day. a rascal child i was.

i can also remember running around the san jose swap meet as child on the weekends - my step mother had a booth/kiosk out there sellling hand made crafts and quilts she sewn.

shortly after i grew out of my elementary years i was shipped off to mother and spent my teens in anchorage, alaska - boy was that a mistake - i would spend after school hours at earthquake park located by the airport - drinking and smoking with the rest of the other heathens from junior high and high school - we spent our weekends at kincaid park to pass the time. during the winters we went ice fishing down the street or behave like fools skiing at hillside. we would drive out to wasilla every other summer - camping at grandma lucy's.

enough said
                    stay forever young

Comment

Ahhh, the younger days, where you didn't have the signs, "Do not enter", or "Private Property". Where you have to find public access and parking to get that ole' swimming or camp grounds. (If still there) Where access is no longer denied, because too much people getting injured and the state gets sued. As they say enjoy, when you can, while still dea'....

-The old mud and water slides up the mountain. So smooth and natural, landing in the cleanest of water ponds. Where mountain apples and fresh water was there to sustain you.
                      -Walking home, picking up lychee and other fruit was abundant and neighbors gave freely. Playing in the rivers and the mountains. Enjoying the scenes of the waterfalls.
                      -Enjoying the free fresh sugar cane stalks and the laugh of coconut man with wheelbarrel & hat. Talking story with blind Kapuna man to make his lauhala hats and give good advice.
                      -Enjoying the campouts with friends; guitars in hands and eat what you catch. Before, we could make fire on the beach to keep warm.

Plenty to say, times change, but gotta' say - good company helps when growing up .....
                      ... They said I'm much better now .... Tee Hee ...

Comment

Born and raised in SoCal had some benefits, like not being too far from the islands My first visit was when I was 5 to meet my extended ohana on the island of Oahu. Since then, I had the great fortune to spend many summers with my cousins and visiting outer islands to meet additional relatives.

Small keiki memories include picking ogo at Ewa Beach and eating it right there in the ocean , attending church bible camp with friends named Mapu and Manu, going to the new arcade center in Honolulu (forgot the name), working with my auntie and cousins on the farm, and boogie boarding at Makaha over the reef at about 3 feet deep Also, listening to radio (can't remember the station) that did a segment on having kids talk on the phone with other similar age kids. (I tried calling in, but never got through)

Watching the Andy Bumatai shows on TV and going to comedy shows with Mel Cabang were real fun too. Luckily, with many prior visits, I was able to understand much of the local humor and the pidgin jokes that were mentioned.

I continued returning for summer visits during my college days taking a high school buddy to introduce him to the islands. He immediately connected with the islands and my extended ohana. He is of Mexican ethnicity and could easily be mistaken as a native Pacific Islander of which my ohana affectionately dubbed him the name of Ed "Kealoha" from the mainland.

Today, as my wife and I raise our two keikis, I plan to return to the islands to teach them about some of the things that I learned and part of their heritage. Hawaii is so many things on so many different levels, that each time I visit, it is a spiritual renewal as well as a pilgrimage for my ohana and me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake's Ohana View Post
                          Born and raised in SoCal had some benefits, like not being too far from the islands My first visit was when I was 5 to meet my extended ohana on the island of Oahu. Since then, I had the great fortune to spend many summers with my cousins and visiting outer islands to meet additional relatives.

Small keiki memories include picking ogo at Ewa Beach and eating it right there in the ocean , attending church bible camp with friends named Mapu and Manu, going to the new arcade center in Honolulu (forgot the name), working with my auntie and cousins on the farm, and boogie boarding at Makaha over the reef at about 3 feet deep Also, listening to radio (can't remember the station) that did a segment on having kids talk on the phone with other similar age kids. (I tried calling in, but never got through)

Watching the Andy Bumatai shows on TV and going to comedy shows with Mel Cabang were real fun too. Luckily, with many prior visits, I was able to understand much of the local humor and the pidgin jokes that were mentioned.

I continued returning for summer visits during my college days taking a high school buddy to introduce him to the islands. He immediately connected with the islands and my extended ohana. He is of Mexican ethnicity and could easily be mistaken as a native Pacific Islander of which my ohana affectionately dubbed him the name of Ed "Kealoha" from the mainland.

Today, as my wife and I raise our two keikis, I plan to return to the islands to teach them about some of the things that I learned and part of their heritage. Hawaii is so many things on so many different levels, that each time I visit, it is a spiritual renewal as well as a pilgrimage for my ohana and me.
                          You got your local born and your local at heart. You got the heart.
                          ... They said I'm much better now .... Tee Hee ...

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                            Comparing the change of times in terms of child rearing is right on target for this thread.[...]
                            Sorry, Tim, it's not. That subject is currently being discussed here.

Comment

remember the puka shell craze? we'd spend the weekends hunting for them. dad made all kinds of jewelry.

yes, everyone knew everyone else and it was fun spending time at granny's sister's house in waiahole where we'd also pick mountain apples, lei. gee i wonder if we bumped into eachother while picking ogo at ewa beach park? granny, imo, made the best pickled kind.
                              "chaos reigns within.
                              order shall return."

Comment

Working...
                              X