Growing Up In Hawai'i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Growing Up In Hawai'i

Still have my collection of puka shells, stopped only 2yrs ago. Got knocked around too much by the waves and kinda' like not the same right now, getting betta'. Probably, with the mountain apples .... lived in Kaneohe, in the hanna butta' days.

Finding good seaweed, more lucky outer island these days though. Ewa was choice for the night dive area's. Ono lobster spots. Small this island, you going bump into somebody again. I'm just bad with names

How bout' back then, when the man came calling out with the bamboo on his shoulder and the containers at the end. "Chariu Bao". Or when they had contest in Kaneohe on who can find the famous ... Lani Moo. Okay, went too far back ... getting old ....
    ... They said I'm much better now .... Tee Hee ...

Comment

Well, I, too, grew up in L.A.--in the San Fernando Valley, for those of you familiar with the area. I was a boomer, so it was, as far as I could see, a charmed life. My parents had a small but decent home, I had one older sister, and we rarely wanted for anything. My parents were NOT wealthy, but they provided for us well and sent us to Christian school, and when it was birthdays/Christmas, it was their joy to give us nice gifts and also many wonderful memories. Dad had a good job with the telephone company, so he had a very steady income. We never, ever had to consider things like an alcoholic parent or one of them stepping out on the other. I remember playing outside--both out front and in the back--till it was dark, with a bunch of neighborhood kids, all summer; playing pinochle as a family at the kitchen table till we were rolling on the floor with laughter; swinging on our swing set to the cricket chirps--just "stuff", but sooooooo good. (This was before you had to have every moment of your day, whether it be summer or school days, taken up by some sport or extra-curricular activity.) Mom didn't work and she would bake quite often, giving us cupcakes when we got home, and I can still see us standing at the stove while she taught me how to cook several things. Believe me, there were plenty of rough times, too, but my parents loved each other and that gave us the stability we needed in our lives. Living in LA back then was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo different than living here now. I hope to get out of here someday. (Maui would be nice--haha) I'm so glad I grew up at the time I did--things were so much better; people were nicer; you didn't have to be afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by HawaiiMama View Post
        Well, I, too, grew up in L.A.--in the San Fernando Valley, for those of you familiar with the area.
        I, too, spent a few years there. Attended Rio Vista Elementary and Walter Reed JH.
        [...] I remember playing outside--both out front and in the back--till it was dark, with a bunch of neighborhood kids, all summer;
        Yep...me, too! And, remember the Good Humor ice cream truck?! We played tag, hide and seek, basketball, hop scotch, cowboys and indians, jump rope, house. And then there were the weeks at the beach...always my favorite. I don't ever remember uttering, "I'm bored."!
        [...]Living in LA back then was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo different than living here now.
        I agree however one of my strongest memories is of the smog, the smog alerts and having to stay inside during recess because it was so bad. And this was during the early to mid 1950s.
        I hope to get out of here someday. (Maui would be nice--haha) I'm so glad I grew up at the time I did--things were so much better; people were nicer; you didn't have to be afraid.
        Those were certainly different times...so carefree.

Comment

Where I lived, the local San Diego TV stations wouldn't come in because the mountain blocked their signals but LA stations came in fine, so my childhood TV favorites were all LA shows: Captain Zoom on channel 2, Engineer Bill on channel 9, Sheriff John on channel 11, Skipper Frank on channel 5, and Wrangler Jim on channel 7. I know a lady who was a neighbor of Sheriff John then, she said he was a really nice guy, every bit as nice in person as he was on TV. I was glad to hear that. I think Engineer Bill was famous for some kind of outrageous obscene outburst on the air once, just the thing for impressionable young minds.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            And, remember the Good Humor ice cream truck?!
            Yep. And remember the milk delivery trucks that came house to house? I want to say it was Adohr Milk, but.
            Wait. Look at this L. A. Time story that I found! A flashback on Good Humor, Adohr, and more.
            Those were the days.

We played tag, hide and seek, basketball, hop scotch, cowboys and indians, jump rope, house.
            At that young age you played house?!?

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
            Captain Zoom on channel 2, Engineer Bill on channel 9, Sheriff John on channel 11, Skipper Frank on channel 5, and Wrangler Jim on channel 7.
            Wasn't it Engineer Bill who got us to drink our milk with the "Red light... green light" game?
            Wait. Engineer Bill is on YouTube at this link!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (And the red light green light game is there, starting about 7 minutes in.)
            I'm absolutely shocked that I remembered RLGL after 50 years or so.
            Anyway, that same YouTube spot also has Sheriff John, Chucko The Birthday Clown, and... Soupy Sales.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
              heh lika, i grew up in ewa beach--the older part during the same time as you. we used to go to tenny village for dinner sometimes. who taught you hula back then? i started dancing when i was 5 and took lessons from auntie joanie lindsey. remember when they would burn the sugar cane fields and the ashes would float around the area for miles? what about old farrington highway? that was the only way to the west side. no houses just cane fields. one lane in and one lane out.

i loved going to ewa beach park and picking ogo with my granny and other family members. my best friend and i would walk miles during halloween to trick-or-treat. playing the ukulele or guitar; riding skateboard; playing flag football in the streets; playing catch with my dad; going to his mountain ball games. barney's burger house and their smashed cow burger; woolworth's and sloop john b's.

happy times, sad times. boy was i a tom boy!
              I took hula from NT Kuulei Clark, she came from Aiea. I love going to Ewa Beach to pick sea weed la dat, sad nowdays no moe. We use to go Hau Bush alot too. My oldest sista is from da first graduating class of Campbell anden us moved to Waipahu.

Oh da Tavern in front da gym. Dey had da bestest Hamburga Steak and great cream pies.

OH fo'reals TrickorTreat time; from Fernandez Village us walked all da way to Tenny Village by da gym side cause everybody knew Mrs. Ching gave out her pickled mango. No way would stuff la dat happen dese days.

When dey burned cane by the Ewa Graveyard all us kids who live in dat area would go hangout right across da street & watch. It was like raining ashes. Thats so unhealthy but nobody told us that. Same wit da mosquito truck. We would all run in da fumes. Auwe. No wonda I turned out all lolo
              ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

Originally posted by GypsyLika View Post
                Same wit da mosquito truck. We would all run in da fumes. Auwe. No wonda I turned out all lolo
                Haha. I bet it smelled good, though
                "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                "
                Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                  What is "chasemasta"?

Remember the good old days, when children were expected and required, by ALL adults, to behave themselves. Then the ACLU got involved, and for some reason we can't figure out why our schools are failing.

Chasemasta = Tag

The ACLU did not have notting to do wit raising my kids. Me&DH raidsed our kids. Till dis day I expect my kids to behave demselves and no make A. Anything stupid, ugly, mean, or negative etc. dey do is a reflection of ME. I will be da first to karang dem upside da po'o should dey bring any kinda shame to da ohana.

The schools shouldn't be raising our kids they should be teaching them. The kids failure are a reflection of the lack adults expectation and/or direction. Look at the kids parents or lack of and.....
                  ~Lika

Comment

lika: yeah, i was going to mention hau bush, but forgot to.

i don't remember the mosquito trucks, but do hear people talking about them and running through the "smoke screen." a friend of mine thinks that's why she is infertile?

campbell high school's baseball field was literally our back yard. the only thing that separated us was a chain link fence. we'd sit under the mango tree with dad's friends and watch the games.

another good memory of growing up was going to st. joseph's school in waipahu. they had the best lunches and their butter cookies were da bomb! tetherball, hopscotch, dodgeball, basketball and track were some other activites we played on the grounds. oh, yeah and agmata store had the best fried noodles.
                    "chaos reigns within.
                    reflect, repent and reboot.
                    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

In Illinois everyone (but me, my mom wouldn't let me amongst so many things not allowed) was running through the fog the mosquito trucks made nightly in the neighborhood I remember it really smelled nasty.

Comment

Sad news, Kalalau

Engineer Bill/Stulla died this last Tues, at 97(!).
                        I'll bet he's got God and Satan set up with glasses of milk and playing 'red light green light'!
                        www.tvparty.com/lostlabill.html

Bombastic LA newsman, George Putnam just passed away last week, also in his 90s.

Sheriff John/Rovick is still alive, so we can still sing 'Come on, laugh and be happy and the world will laugh with you...'
                        www.tvparty.com/lostlasheriff.html

Man, life was simply great growing up in LA.
                        Last edited by Ron Whitfield; September 27, 2008, 11:23 AM.
                        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                          lika: yeah, i was going to mention hau bush, but forgot to.

i don't remember the mosquito trucks, but do hear people talking about them and running through the "smoke screen." a friend of mine thinks that's why she is infertile?

campbell high school's baseball field was literally our back yard. the only thing that separated us was a chain link fence. we'd sit under the mango tree with dad's friends and watch the games.

another good memory of growing up was going to st. joseph's school in waipahu. they had the best lunches and their butter cookies were da bomb! tetherball, hopscotch, dodgeball, basketball and track were some other activites we played on the grounds. oh, yeah and agmata store had the best fried noodles.
                          Don't know when you went to St Joe's but Mrs Montero was my best friends Mom & my friend got kicked out for smoking & cussing out Sister Benadette Clair.
                          ~Lika

Comment

Ohhhh, I'm so jealous of all of you! I grew up smack in the middle of suburbia- Plano, TX. There weren't any woods or creeks to play in or mosquito trucks to chase. I went to private school and had friends all over the stupid metroplex, so it's not like I could run across the street to see if my best friend wanted to come play. My friends and I lived a good 30 miles away from each other. That's why it was so necessary to have a car.

My parents weren't rich by any means, and I wasn't spoiled like most of my friends were. I had a job (!) in HS and had to earn my spending money.

But when I was a kid, I used to read a lot and I wanted to be able to run wild in some woods or a field or something more than anything. And of course everyone else thought I was crazy.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

LA TV--Whoa Nellie Dick Lane calling the wrestling matches live from the Olympic Auditorium sponsored by Lou's Garage, with The Intelligent Sensational Destroyer, Classy Freddie Blassie (God's Gift To Women--self proclaimed), Mr. Moto (I met him & his wife once, totally nice people, totally opposite of the TV wrestling character), Ricki Starr--out long before being out was in, Count No Account Billy Vargas and a huge supporting cast of wrestlers. There was always a little old lady seated in the front row who would beat the villains with her purse. Lane also called stock car races and Destruction Derby from Gardenia Stadium, and Roller Derby.

Channel 5 was the first TV station in the west, its done some good histories of itself and LA TV in the early years.

Comment

Ya know, there is (I think) only one bit a footage surviving of Dick Lane calling wrestling. Fortunately, it's a long stretch of film, from the late 50s. All those years of historic film were recorded over and almost everything from the glory day's at The Olympic are gone.

Freddie Blassie is one of my favorite personalities of all time, and I know the truth about the legendary acid incident, because it was my friend that did it. Only it was sulpher, not acid, but it was a strong batch my friend made up, and really stunk. When Blassie came out for the match, my bud tossed some on him, which enraged Freddie to the point he started after us and chased us all around the auditorium. I'll never forget his fingertips scraping the back of my shirt as he tried to get a hand on any of us running. Why we all ran when it was just one that did it was weird, but he scared the hell out of us. Finally, he had to give up and get in the ring and fight. But he stunk like rotten eggs so bad that his opponent wouldn't go near him at all. By then the sulpher was burning him pretty bad and he had to get it dealt with.
                                He mentions the 'acid' in his auto-bio. Wish he would have gone into it more. Just glad it didn't do serious harm, cause we loved the guy.

I recall watching sumo in the late 50s. Some of the first TV I remember seeing.
                                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
                                X