Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Presidential debates

Here is what he said:

McCain: Well, it's the civil rights issue of the 21st century. There's no doubt that we have achieved equal access to schools in America after a long and difficult and terrible struggle.

But what is the advantage in a low income area of sending a child to a failed school and that being your only choice?

So choice and competition amongst schools is one of the key elements that's already been proven in places in like New Orleans and New York City and other places, where we have charter schools, where we take good teachers and we reward them and promote them.

And we find bad teachers another line of work. And we have to be able to give parents the same choice, frankly, that Sen. Obama and Mrs. Obama had and Cindy and I had to send our kids to the school -- their kids to the school of their choice.

Charter schools aren't the only answer, but they're providing competition. They are providing the kind of competitions that have upgraded both schools -- types of schools.

Now, throwing money at the problem is not the answer. You will find that some of the worst school systems in America get the most money per student.

So I believe that we need to reward these good teachers.

We need to encourage programs such as Teach for America and Troops to Teachers where people, after having served in the military, can go right to teaching and not have to take these examinations which -- or have the certification that some are required in some states.

Look, we must improve education in this country. As far as college education is concerned, we need to make those student loans available. We need to give them a repayment schedule that they can meet. We need to have full student loan program for in-state tuition. And we certainly need to adjust the certain loan eligibility to inflation.
    soo....yup he did.

Comment

Well, I guess all that killin people in Iraq and Afghanistan will come in handy after all...
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Here's the Troops to Teachers site with how it currently works:

http://www.ed.gov/programs/troops/index.html

Comment

To Ron, et al,

It is not the killin' that molds soldiers into likely candidates for teaching. It is the discipline, structure, customary learning, and positive attitude with good moral, that molds youngsters into potentially good candidates for academia.

Your "W" biased opinion of the military, salted with memories of Vietnam, have blinded you to the #1 avenue for education/achievement/life training in the world. Trust me, when Stanford discovers something REALLY COOL, the military takes over. And then, the only way to learn about the cutting edge is in the military. Ranking Academia absolutely hates this simple fact.

Happiness and a can do attitude must be taught, and than practiced regularly. They are both good lessons. And they will always lead to a long term positive self image.

In this vein, it is obvious why John McCain is a fine choice to lead the nation.

Tonight I listened to the debate on radio in the car. And even my lib friend thought McCain had a better, nicer speaking voice, with more tonality and personality, that Obama.

Remember the Nixon/Kennedy debates? On TV.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
            [...]
            Tonight I listened to the debate on radio in the car. And even my lib friend thought McCain had a better, nicer speaking voice, with more tonality and personality, that Obama.[...]
            I felt the debate was somewhat of a draw with McCain having a stronger first half and Obama having a stronger second half. I've already voiced one of my main objections above. I watched the debate on CNN where they had a split screen going quite a bit of the time. It was interesting to watch each candidate's reaction as the other was speaking. Even the CNN analysts felt McCain hurt his chances with his negative facial reactions. He just couldn't hide his disdain for Obama. That's something you, needless to say, could not 'see' on the radio. I can just imagine McCain, as president, pulling that kind of immature behavior on a foreign head of state or, heaven forbid, drop his guard and drop the "c" bomb on a female head of state...any female, really, but we've already dissected that subject. John McCain happy? Positive? I guess you and I have different definitions of those words!

Comment

How do we know McCain is old? His blinker is stuck!

Comment

Ron...Tim...

Put down the dueling broad brushes.

There are military folks who would make excellent teachers and would raise up their students teaching by disciplined example. Who are excited and current and forward thinking in methodology and innovation of their field of study.

There are also folks in the military who tho they may have a degree in a subject, haven't touched the subject since they got that degree. Who are little control freaks and emotionally as cold as a dead mackerel.

There are a whole lot of military folks who fall somewhere between.

What I didn't like hearing was about doing away with the certification process for the folks in this program.

If an ex-military member had a degree in a subject covered under the program, but hadn't touched the subject in 15-20 years decided to go into teaching, They could take advantage of the program simply for being military and honorably discharged. they could then become a teacher in a low income struggling school district with no checks on whether they knew the subject to be taught any more.

A civilian who has kept up with any innovations in their chosen subject doesn't get a pass from that certification process. They have to prove that they know what the hell they're doing.

Hunh?

The certification process may not be the greatest and does vary from state to state...but it does help weed out some of the incompetents. To give one sector a total pass just 'cause they put on a uniform?

Sorry kids, that doesn't cut it for me as a parent. I want someone who's on top of their game teaching my kids, not some out of their league HOO-RAH!.

Comment

CNN.com's poll as of a few minutes ago:

Who fared better in Wednesday's presidential debate?

Sen. John McCain... 23%... 122,401

Sen. Barack Obama... 70%... 371,066

No clear winner... 6%... 34,075

Total Votes: 527,542

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

• Edward Broad Brush Hands here, not...

El Tim-o, I'll not be trusting you any time soon. But, thanx for the invite.
                    The fact that 'the military' is the primary gang that takes over is a huge part of the problem. 'They' have stolen and perverted science every chance they've gotten. In the short and long run, we lose. Yes, we get dribs and drabs of benefit from it all, but nothing like we should.
                    I'm all for an awesome military, simply because it's unfortunately a need. But they aren't the be and end all in my America. Those who really pull the strings here have used and abused the military to the detriment to us citizens.
                    We'd be much farther along as a successful and thriving country if we all played fairly amongst ourselves.

Comment

Didn't get to watch the entire debate as I was fighting for control of the TV with my girls (on the bright side, I got to watch most of the debate and see Dora help a baby unicorn find her way home at the same time!), but I give the slight edge to Senator Obama for staying cool and not letting himself get baited. That was a pretty slick sidestep by Obama when he was asked if he thought Palin was qualified to be President.

McCain had nothing to lose and came out firing but once he saw that he couldn't get under Barack's skin, he faded. But I thought he did pretty well, with the scripted "I am not George Bush" line, and keeping Barack on the defensive. Got a little tired of hearing about Joe the Plumber. And I was mesmerized by the undecided worm line during the debate.

Was watching Biden talk about the debate earlier on some morning show and was snickering at his rant about how where he's from, he doesn't know any plumbers that make $250,000 a year. The more I hear and read about Biden, the more I like him. And then, on the flip side, there's Palin (yuck). I can't get over how hypocritical she is when she defends her "terrorist" comments about Obama as fair game, and yet refuses to do open-ended interviews or hold any news conferences. It's simply unbelievable that a national candidate plain refuses to answer questions, yet somehow feels perfectly entitled to go on the attack.

Got sent this link and thought some here would find it amusing (If it's already been linked, my bad). Try moving your mouse around the office for more giggles: http://www.palinaspresident.us/

Comment

Joe the Plumber is a GOP Mole and the October Surprise--AND a member of the Keating family

Comment

Well Marco, Palin has been crackin' the ol' Dick 'The Monster That Wouldn't Die' Cheney play book nightly.
                          But she didn't learn how to fool all the people, all the time, and neither did Dick.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                            "you want to run against President Bush, you should have run four years ago" -- it sounds like Senator McCain's been waiting a very long time to use that one.
                            No kidding. It was effective tho', but only on the surface. Sort of like a good jab that takes a second to recover from.

I thought that McCain was winning in the first 30 min, not that I agree with him, but he did come out swinging. I think Barack did a Rope a Dope with him tho', as later on McCain dug himself into a hole he couldn't get out of, painting himself even more of a loose cannon than people already thought.

Barack kept his cool, which seems to be what people (me being one of them) like about him. I DID wish he would have gotten more aggresive tho', but in the end, he came out on top anyway.

3 more weeks !
                            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Ooopsies!

Joe the 'unlicensed' Plumber.....

http://www.reuters.com/article/vcCan...39355520081016

"It's a shame that this guy has ended up in this situation because it seems like he's misrepresented himself -- and for that matter the plumbing and pipefitting industry."

or is it -

Joe the 'I owe taxes' Plumber...

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p..._eQ&refer=home

According to records on file with the Lucas County Court of Common Pleas, the state filed a tax lien against Samuel J. Wurzelbacher for $1,182.98 on Jan. 26, 2007, that is still active.

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                                [...]
                                Barack kept his cool, which seems to be what people (me being one of them) like about him. I DID wish he would have gotten more aggresive tho', but in the end, he came out on top anyway.[...]
                                And therein lies Obama's strength...
                                This, for me, is important in a leader.
                                Dropping "c" bombs, smirks of disdain, a vile, unpredictable temper and blatant lying are very unbecoming, don'tcha think?! Unacceptable, actually.

Are any of you on the MoveOn.org email list? The latest email discusses:
                                The GOP is trying to purge Democratic voters off the rolls to steal the election in states like Ohio, Florida, and Colorado.
                                Even if I didn't like Obama I'd vote for the democratic candidate as a vote against McCain. And Palin!

Comment

Working...
                                X