• Show
Clear All

Re: Presidential debates

Gah...wrong remark referance...doh!

Here's the 'boy' thing:

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/ripti...upt_into_r.php

Hitting the Arab news isn't good either, even if it is feed stuff:

http://www.arabnews.com/?page=4&sect...=8&m=10&y=2008
    Last edited by Peshkwe; October 7, 2008, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Less than an hour after the debate ended, and the CNN.com poll shows:

Who fared better in today's presidential debate?

Sen. John McCain... 15%... 11,475

Sen. Barack Obama... 82%... 63,880

No clear winner... 4%... 2,734

Total Votes: 78,089

Wow! That's one helluva big margin. It'll be interesting to see what other polls show in the morning.
      McCain somewhat desperately needed some kind of home run hit and it didn't happen. Instead, at times he kinda seemed like a doddering old grandpa out there. Does he have the stamina and energy to be president for possibly 8 years, at which time he'll be 80 years old?
      Nope.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

John McCain left the building real quick. I thought he liked Town Hall meetings?

Comment

Well, we decided not to play Debate Bingo tonight and decided to toast each other and drink a glass of wine every time McCain said "my friends." At this point, I am soooooooooo wasted! So I'll kedp this short.

In my opinion these are the highlights, and I will paraphrase.

O'bama's best moment when asked about how to fix the econommy, JFK said we were gpoinng to put a man on the moon. He didn't know how we were going to do it, the American people didn't know how we were going to do it, but he inspired the American people and we did it. Those were powerful words to me. I lived through that era. I was inspired by JFK. Obama inspired me.

McCain's best moment was a question about putting sanctions on the Russians, he said if he said yes it would start another cold war, if he said no, it would give license to the russians, so the answer was maybe. I thought he gave a bettert answer than Obama, one that made sense to me.

The lowest of the low points, first when McCain called Obama "that one" and then at the end of the debate when Obama reached out to shake McCains hand and McCain turned away, so Obama shook cindy McCain's hand insted. McCain is despicable!!!!!!

The high point was when Obama andhis wife stuck around after the debate was over to work the crowd. Now THAT is campaigning!

Good night.
          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
            John McCain left the building real quick. I thought he liked Town Hall meetings?
            Elvis, I mean John McCain has left the building.

Comment

Obama will invade Pakistan's borders, AGAINST THEIR PERMISSION, and will say it outloud.
              McCain will keep the whole thing a secret. And you might not know. And that is the best answer.

McCain has military experience. Some think we are in a war. 1 point for McCain for anybody who honestly believes we are in a war. Even die-hard Libs.

Obama surfs. Yup, I said it. And I surf too. And you should surf too. No matter how old you are. I know some guys over 70 who still paddle out. 4 bonus points. I betcha McCain doesn't surf.

What about Cocktail Hour? Who would you rather sip a cold one with? Pretty clear to me that McCain wins this one all the way. He almost has a Gin Blossom like Teddy K. Yup I said it. Please get me a beer while you are in the kitchen.

Both guys support Israel. With military dilegence, effort and firepower. I'm for that too.

The DU thinks the "old guy" would be the best choice after watching the debate. I made her watch it. She hated it. She's smarter than all of us. 3 points for McSame.

At this point, it's damn near a toss-up. I pick McCain and Biden. Together.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com
              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                The lowest of the low points, first when McCain called Obama "that one" and then at the end of the debate when Obama reached out to shake McCains hand and McCain turned away, so Obama shook cindy McCain's hand insted. McCain is despicable!!!!!!

The high point was when Obama andhis wife stuck around after the debate was over to work the crowd. Now THAT is campaigning!
                I had to attend a function earlier tonight, so I'll have to catch a replay later.

Until I actually watch it, I obviously can't comment on the substance. But it sure sounds like McCain came out on the short end when it came to style for the second straight debate. And this, in a town hall format where McCain is supposedly strong in.

Disrespecting Obama and quickly leaving the Town Hall,... man, I thought it was bad enough when George H.W. Bush was caught looking at his watch twice at a town hall debate against Clinton in '92. But this tops it.

McCain's handlers had better make sure they keep him far away from any piece of rope. If he gets his hands on one, McCain will invariably end up hanging himself.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

From CNN's Political Ticker (which is different than their online poll that I quoted a few posts above this one):

By CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser

A national poll of debate watchers suggests that Barack Obama won the second presidential debate.
                  • Fifty-four percent of those questioned in a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey conducted after the debate ended said that Obama did the best job in the debate, with 30 percent saying John McCain performed better.
                  • A majority, 54 percent, said Obama seemed to be the stronger leaderduring the debate, to 43 percent for McCain.
                  • By a greater than two to one margin — 65 percent to 28 percent — viewers thought Obama was more likeable during the debate.

"Obama had made some gains on the leadership issue even before the debate," said CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "McCain's advantage on leadership shrunk from 19 points in September to just five points this weekend. If Obama can use this debate to convince Americans that he is a stronger leader than McCain, he may be difficult to defeat."
                  • A majority of debate watchers polled thought Obama was more intelligent, by a 57 percent to 25 percent margin over McCain.
                  • Twice as many debate watchers also thought Obama more clearly expressed than McCain, with 60 percent giving the nod to the Democratic nominee and 30 percent to his GOP opponent.
                  • Hands down, debate watchers questioned thought McCain rather than Obama spent more time attacking his opponent: 63 percent said McCain went more negative, as opposed to 17 percent who pointed to Obama.
                  • Half of those polled say Obama answered questions more directly, 13 points ahead of McCain.
                  • By a 14 point advantage debate watchers thought Obama seemed to care more about the probelms of audience members who asked questions.
                  • McCain did come out on top in one category that neither candidate wants to win: By a 16 point margin, debate watchers thought McCain seemed more like a typical politician during the debate.
                  • According to the poll, 64 percent had a favorable opinion of Obama after the debate, up four points from the pre-debate result. McCain’s favorability rating remained unchanged: both before and after the debate percent of those polled had a favorable opinion of the Republican nominee both before and after the debate.

(...)
                  • The poll suggests that independent voters thought Obama won the debate. Fifty-four percent of those identifying themselves as independent say Obama performed best, with 28 percent saying that McCain did the better job.
                  • Among Democrats, 85 percent say Obama won, with just 5 percent saying McCain was the winner.
                  • Among Republicans, 64 percent say McCain won, with 16 percent saying Obama won the night.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll was conducted by telephone with 675 adult Americans who watched the debate. All interviews were taken after the end of the debate. The audience for this debate was 38 percent Democratic and 31 percent Republican — very close to the partisan breakdown among all Americans nationwide. The survey's sampling error is plus or minus 4 percentage points.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
                    I think it's those petty actions and the snarks that will do McCain in more so than the non-answer talking point speak.

The 'that one' and the refusal to shake hands is gonna be eaten up like candy to the racists out there...same as Palin's little innuendos she's been playing at that's recently caused a black cameraman to be called the n-bomb and shouted st to 'sit down BOY!'
                    Yeah, "That one" and the handshake snub won't help his cause. It almost seems physically impossible for McCain not to appear arrogant and condescending and it's evident in his negative body language and facial expressions/responses. IMO, I thought he addressed certain points better and had clearer proposals than Barack, but in debates, appearances do matter and the media is going to have a field day tomorrow. I can't wait to watch the Daily Show and see what Jon Stewart has in store...

Barack did much better in hitting back than in their first debate, where he seemed to agree with everything McCain said, and I thought he killed it on health care and foreign policy and was also much better on the economy.

Comment

Cancel that no handshake bit, they did handshake and even did the guy 'shoulder hug' thing. It was just really quick and miss-able:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K_MK...eature=related

Comment

CNN has the whole debate up with a running transcript at the side:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/...ipt/index.html

Kinda cool, but at 90:50 time (or there about) you can see McCain cross over into Tom Brokaw's camera shot...that's probably where the chest bump hug happened and wasn't picked up by CNN's camera crew.

Wonder which network was the one that caught it?

Comment

According to the viewers on Faux News:

Who won the debate?

McCain 86%
                          Obama 12%
                          undecided 1%

Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                            What about Cocktail Hour? Who would you rather sip a cold one with? Pretty clear to me that McCain wins this one all the way. He almost has a Gin Blossom like Teddy K. Yup I said it. Please get me a beer while you are in the kitchen.
                            Yeah, who would you rather drink with --- that one earned us eight years of Dubya.
                            Originally posted by Marco View Post
                            Yeah, "That one" and the handshake snub won't help his cause. It almost seems physically impossible for McCain not to appear arrogant and condescending and it's evident in his negative body language and facial expressions/responses.
                            Ah, for the days when the candidate's stands on issues and plans for their term in office were the factors the American Public used for choosing how to vote.

But, no - now we worry about who snubbed who, who we'd rather drink with (like any of us here expects to be imbibing with the POTUS at our neighborhood tavern any time soon), who can best flirt with foreign leaders ...

The American political structure is a joke, a shell of what it used to be, and a flashing-neon-sign obvious reflection of our nation's stumbling, decrepit, corrupt and well-past-its-prime place in today's world.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              Ah, for the days when the candidate's stands on issues and plans for their term in office were the factors the American Public used for choosing how to vote.

But, no - now we worry about who snubbed who, who we'd rather drink with (like any of us here expects to be imbibing with the POTUS at our neighborhood tavern any time soon), who can best flirt with foreign leaders ...

The American political structure is a joke, a shell of what it used to be, and a flashing-neon-sign obvious reflection of our nation's stumbling, decrepit, corrupt and well-past-its-prime place in today's world.
                              As I said in my previous post, in a debate, appearances matter and by all accounts, McCains was not good and it could and likely will draw a negative reaction from the general public. Nothing wrong with that, as far as I can tell. As I also said, I thought McCain did a better job than I expected in the debate and illustrated his proposals well, but that I felt Barack won by hitting back on several issues that he let slide in the last debate: foreign policy, "not tipping his hand", the economy, etc.

But way to play the martyr and cherry-pick what I said into some inference that my criteria for deciding who to vote for solely lies in a perceived handshake snub and has nothing to do with issues whatsoever. Can you even see us peons from way up high on that perch you put yourself?

Comment

Big fat newsflash for Tim, we've been in Pakistan many times in the last few years and are currently there now, against their permission.

And, oh, how I'd love to sit with John McCain for a cold one and see how he enjoys his drink, without teeth.

I wonder if JMc will want to 'postpone' next week's debate.
                                He could use a lifeline right now. Maybe he'd like to phone Lieberman.
                                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
                                X