Presidential debates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Presidential debates

John McCain's Rage is a National Security Concern.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAyK-enrF1g

Do something....VOTE.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      Ah, for the days when the candidate's stands on issues and plans for their term in office were the factors the American Public used for choosing how to vote.
      Going back to what days? Maybe a bit farther back than you realize.

Is it just our generation that grades politicians on the visual, superficial aspects? It might surprise you to learn that on the first 1960 presidential debate between Kennedy and Nixon, many radio listeners thought that Nixon had the upper hand. But the reaction was just the opposite for TV viewers, who thought JFK decisively won it. I don't think it was a coincidence that you had such contrasting results with the fact that Nixon flunked the visuals when it came to his televised debate preperation. (Having a 5 o'clock shadow and wearing a suit that blended with the background, diminishing his physical presence in comparison to his opponent.) And Leo, we're talking about 1960. This was at a time when even the Baby Boomer generation wasn't old enough to vote yet!

No, voters basing their decisions on factors relating to style over substance goes way, WAY back.

The American political structure is a joke, a shell of what it used to be, and a flashing-neon-sign obvious reflection of our nation's stumbling, decrepit, corrupt and well-past-its-prime place in today's world.
      Our country and political system has gone through a lot of ups and downs over the years. But I, for one, still believe in the fundamental structure of the govt. our founding fathers gave us, with its systems of checks and balances.

And before anyone joins Leo in yearning for the "good ole days" of politics, may I suggest that one looks at the tremendous impact that Sen. Joseph McCarthy had on national politics from 1950-1954 with his Red Scare tactics. The Wisconsin senator was a master at exploiting the press with his ability to generate headlines, making startling and sweeping charges of govt. officials being Communist sympathizers, going all the way up to the even the highest levels. (Secretary of State Dean Acheson was not safe from McCarthy's accusations.) All the while that he kept the Truman administration in turmoil, McCarthy's much-publicized witchhunt was never able to uncover a single confirmed Communist working in government. Talk about the ultimate politics of distraction. And this, happening more than 50 years ago. Was this the "golden age" of politics? Uh huh.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
        According to the viewers on Faux News:

Who won the debate?

McCain 86%
        Obama 12%
        undecided 1%

Odd, that's not what their website says (assuming I am right in which news source you mean ) Even their website has Obama ahead 59%-41% (although the numbers do seem to be getting closer together as time passes)

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
          But way to play the martyr and cherry-pick what I said into some inference that my criteria for deciding who to vote for solely lies in a perceived handshake snub and has nothing to do with issues whatsoever. Can you even see us peons from way up high on that perch you put yourself?
          Chill, dude. I just grabbed one of the most recent comments that fits a long and ongoing criterion, and it wouldn't have mattered who wrote it. Don't be so quick on the defensive; it's not all about you (unless you're running for office, then of course, it is about you - and you just lost points for style, by your own assessment).
          Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
          It might surprise you to learn that on the first 1960 presidential debate between Kennedy and Nixon, many radio listeners thought that Nixon had the upper hand. But the reaction was just the opposite for TV viewers, who thought JFK decisively won it. I don't think it was a coincidence that you had such contrasting results with the fact that Nixon flunked the visuals when it came to his televised debate preperation. (Having a 5 o'clock shadow and wearing a suit that blended with the background, diminishing his physical presence in comparison to his opponent.) And Leo, we're talking about 1960. This was at a time when even the Baby Boomer generation wasn't old enough to vote yet!
          Surprise me? No - I was alive at that time (though a little too young to have much interest in politics, at least for another five years or so).
          Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
          And before anyone joins Leo in yearning for the "good ole days" of politics,
          Sorry - I should have emphasized the sarcasm better. Politics has been an ugly business for a very, very long time - and certainly not just American politics.

But I think you understood my primary point anyway (unlike Marco) - we still discuss too much of the superficial, while Rome burns around us.
          Last edited by Leo Lakio; October 8, 2008, 11:02 AM. Reason: Combining responses

Comment

Conservatives Call Obama’s Correct Pronounciation Of Pakistan ‘Exotic’ And ‘Annoying’

I'm wondering if these same conservatives use the "libary" pronunciation?

Comment

Chill, dude. I just grabbed one of the most recent comments that fits a long and ongoing criterion, and it wouldn't have mattered who wrote it. Don't be so quick on the defensive; it's not all about you (unless you're running for office, then of course, it is about you - and you just lost points for style, by your own assessment).
              When you quote my post then bemoan that voters are choosing who to vote for based on style not substance, then it seems blatantly transparent that you're including me in that group. And I'm perfectly justified in defending myself, without being subjected to the counter-argument that I'm being defensive and it's "not all about you". Which frankly, is about the dumbest argument ever.

But I think you understood my primary point anyway (unlike Marco) - we still discuss too much of the superficial, while Rome burns around us.
              Zing! Another passive-aggressive dig! Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                Conservatives Call Obama’s Correct Pronounciation Of Pakistan ‘Exotic’ And ‘Annoying’
                Is that anything like an NPR commentator calling Hawai`i "exotic?" Is that a word that will keep finding itself attached to Sen. Obama?
                Just as long as they don't start a "new-cue-lar" war.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
                  When you quote my post then bemoan that voters are choosing who to vote for based on style not substance, then it seems blatantly transparent that you're including me in that group. And I'm perfectly justified in defending myself, without being subjected to the counter-argument that I'm being defensive and it's "not all about you". Which frankly, is about the dumbest argument ever.
                  Wow. Sorry you're having such a personal image problem. Hope your day improves - and gets back on topic.

Comment

Wow. Sorry you're having such a personal image problem. Hope your day improves - and gets back on topic.
                    lol

what a joke

Comment

And now for something completely different - the C word

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Euu_DMhsXQo
                      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Re: And now for something completely different - the C word

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                        C...T
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Both candidates didn't take their gloves off. I guess they listen to the rule of "No glove, No love."

Comment

They "prolly" do.
                            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

More phat phax

US air strike in Pakistan kills 9 - www.news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081009/ap_on_re_as/as_pakistan
                              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Debate Questioner indeed knew about Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac

Comment

Working...
                                X