Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oahu Stations

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    CC then blows their own horn about the ratings success of their nationally syndicated shows hosted by Ryan Seacrest and Steve Harvey. So much for any firm commitment on CC's part to have stations develop homegrown talent and programming. If anything, it sounds like they might be homogenizing their product even more. Oh joy! In addition to hearing the same songs from city to city, we can look forward to hearing the same announcers as well.

The way I read this is: pure PR puff piece designed to make potential advertisers excited about the "new" face of CC radio stations when in reality, no concrete plans are being announced to depart from the same ole same ole.
    Yep. From my experience, that's pretty much what CC does. It seems like they sweep from city to city, force the local stations off the air (in the most polite way, of course), and then cram up the dial with the same crappy $hit you hear everywhere else. They did it to Dallas about 7 (?) years ago. Luckily, Dallas finally fought back and we're slowly getting our local stations back on the air.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Must admit that it's been a long time that I've heard a new song on the radio that excited me. The iPod is more or less a personal mix tape for me and that serves a purpose. I end up finding new music online and placing it on an iPod or CD. Radio in Hawaii hasn't really expanded my musical horizon the way the net has. I want music, info and entertainment from my radio and it isn't winning my listening time if it just turns into a company's iPod on AM and FM.

Comment

This will not only date me, but reveal more about me than I like.

I avoid music radio like the plague, and play CD's & stuff in my car and at home. No station caters to my tastes.

My favorite radio was News Radio 99 - KHVH, Honolulu. Long gone... RIP.

Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
        ~ ~
        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Oahu Stations - new music?

While I am a fan of most of the talk radio stations in town, I have to say that for music radio, none of the stations offer me the kind of new music I am searching for. So like a lot of people I find a lot of my new music online at various websites and services.

Some of them include:
          • iTunes - I've bought many new songs by simply listening to the 30 second sample or searching for a longer version on the artist website, most typically MySpace.com.
          • Amazon.com - same as iTunes. They also give away more free music than iTunes, so if you can download legally for free, why not?
          • MySpace.com - I have found several new artists and listened to their music on the service. The interface for myspace stinks but they do have some good tunes and interesting artists.
          • YouTube.com - sometimes I'll stumble into a pretty good music video of a new song that I never heard before that I like.
          • The Sixty-One.com - This website is brimming with a lot of indie and yet to be discovered artists. I've listened to many good and bad songs there... and have even bought tracks of the songs I like.

I can't remember the last time I heard a new song on the radio that motivated me to buy it. Most of the time if I am listening to radio and it is not talk radio, then it is to a station that plays old, familiar music that I already have in my collection or heard many times before.

And like many all of my music is loaded into my iTunes and my iPods for personal listening.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Besides terrestrial radio, sales of top 40 hits were also promoted through jukeboxes. But that was then. While music will always be around and an important part of most people's lives, we need to keep in mind that the technology and outlets through which we receive music will always be evolving and changing.

There was a time, long long ago, when carrying around a portable Sears turntable (with mono sound no less!) and a stash of 45s to slumber parties made you the coolest kid on the block.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

A PBN news story? Reads more like a Clear Channel press release, if you ask me.

The press release says nothing specific about how "managers will have the latitude to choose content and talent for their stations..." Even more disturbing, when it talks about how it is "extremely challenging for some local stations to invest in developing the highest-quality programming and talent," CC then blows their own horn about the ratings success of their nationally syndicated shows hosted by Ryan Seacrest and Steve Harvey. So much for any firm commitment on CC's part to have stations develop homegrown talent and programming. If anything, it sounds like they might be homogenizing their product even more. Oh joy! In addition to hearing the same songs from city to city, we can look forward to hearing the same announcers as well.

The way I read this is: pure PR puff piece designed to make potential advertisers excited about the "new" face of CC radio stations when in reality, no concrete plans are being announced to depart from the same ole same ole.
              Apparently, I'm not the only person who sees right through Clear Channel PR spin and lip-service to increasing localism in its radio station programming and operations. This blogger nails it on the head.

http://insidemusicmedia.blogspot.com...-localism.html
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

KHCM AM 880 has switched from country music to Chinese programs.

Chinese Music Replaces Country on AM

Programming from China has replaced country music on KHCM-AM 880 in Honolulu in an agreement between station licensee Salem Media of Hawaii Inc. and R&C Productions Inc., both California based.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Apparently, I'm not the only person who sees right through Clear Channel PR spin and lip-service to increasing localism in its radio station programming and operations. This blogger nails it on the head.

http://insidemusicmedia.blogspot.com...-localism.html
                  I've said it before and I will repeat it until my lips fall off

SCREW CLEAR CHANNEL!!!!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Working...
                  X