Oahu Stations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oahu Stations

So...give me the lowdown. I went online and saw that Oahu has one modern rock station. Everything else is Adult Contemporary or Lite Rock. Energy 101.1 looks good, but their website says they're only going to be on the air until January unless they can formalize something or other.

So what stations do you listen to or recommend? And will my Sirius work out here?

Can't think of anything creative this time

Re: Oahu Stations

I like Kcnn FM 100, and still stream it here on the mainland. I eat my lunch listening to Oahu morning traffic report,lol.
    flickr

An email from God:
    To: People of Earth
    Date: 9/04/2007
    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
      And will my Sirius work out here?
      Sadly, only if you plan on using it for a paperweight.

Comment

I listened to 105 KINE online from CA whenever I was packing and cleaning for our move here.
        ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

KXRG 101.1 FM LP (Energy 101) went off the air last year after KORL 101.1 FM acquired the rights to the frequency. This happened because KORL is a full power station vs. lower power KXRG. KORL is now programming "smooth jazz" on 101.1 FM.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Myself and most people I know get a little frustrated with the radio stations out here--we're all iPOD/MP3 people.

Comment

I will admit, kcnn gets really repetitive(as do MOST radio stations), and while living there, I listened to a lot of public radio. I liked kcnn because there is NOTHING like it on the mainland.
              flickr

An email from God:
              To: People of Earth
              Date: 9/04/2007
              Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
              God

Comment

Just fill your Ipod.

Comment

Since you mentioned that Oahu has only one "Modern Rock" station and that you have Sirius I used that as the base for this list.

Rock/Rock Oriented Stations;

KUCD "Star 101.9"-Modern Rock with a Top 40 lean, plays lots of 90's stuff...cross of "alt nation" and "Lithium". Trivial, "Game Show" oriented morning show.

KPOI 105.9-Classic Rock, mostly 70's with some 80's thrown in. All other the map in genre, in one hour can hear CCR, Billy Idol and Journey. Cue card readers for DJ's.

KHAI 103.5-"Air 1" Christian Alternative station, does play some secular stuff...mostly Maroon 5, Daughtry but occasionally hear P.O.D. or Staind.

KTUH 90.3-Freeform College station that does blocks of "College Rock".

KQMQ "93.1 The Zone"-Top 40 station with a Modern Rock lean, some hip-hop and rap. Mostly cue-card reading DJ's, except Augie T. in the morning(personally I think he's awful).

If you have Sirius, you can use the on-line service. Rumor has it that Sirius will be available via ground based repeaters in the next 6-12 months.

Some personal likes....another vote for KINE, Billy V. has the best morning show in town to me. If you like 80's music, KUMU 94.7 on Saturday night offers a 5 hour block, good stuff too.

Comment

KZOO Radio 45th

Erika Engle has an interesting article about KZOO radio's 45th anniversary. While I don't listen to Japanese language radio, you have to admit, it's quite a milestone for this station to be around this long with 1. local ownership and 2. the same format since its inception.

KZOO celebrates 45 years of serving Hawaii community

KZOO-AM 1210 turns 45 years old Saturday. It first signed on the air Oct. 18, 1963.

The primarily Japanese-language station has outlived competitors by staying focused on its niche audience and being not just a touch-point, but a lifeline for the community it serves.
                    Read the entire article at the link above (click on title).
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Oahu radio sux, period

Every station seems to try to outdo the others by being even worse.

KTUH FM is the only relief, music wise, as they change formats thruout each day, which presents it's own frustrations.
                      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Re: Oahu radio sux, period

We need a station dedicated to alternative rock/metal.

Comment

Ipod's the answer.

But if you gotta listen to the radio, try NPR. It's 90.1, I think, here in Kona. It's like going to the gym, for your brain.
                          FutureNewsNetwork.com
                          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

In Kona it would be mostly KKUA 90.7 FM for Hawaii Public Radio, though I think the main station, KHPR 88.1 FM can also be received. 90.7 airs from Maui.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

KPOI 105.9 FM seems to be going through a format change. Classic rock is mostly gone, now a mix of various rock hits.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X