Oahu Stations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oahu Stations

KTUH 90.3 FM. Also available at 89.7 from Kaimuki to 'Nalo and 91.3 on the North Shore.
    "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Most radio stations survey people over the phone. They play a 7 second music clip and ask your opinion of it.

From that, they generate a playlist of 2-300 songs. That means you hear the same narrow grouping over and over and over.

Malcolm Gladwell in his book "Blink" points out that a 7-second clip cannot be compared to listening to the whole song. It's faulty research methodology.

Coke found this out the hard way. They were losing taste contests to Pepsi, and came out with New Coke. But people's reactions to a sip are different than to a glass.

Coke quickly reversed directions, but our radio stations have yet to learn the lesson.

The more they try to play only safe songs that listeners want to hear, the more they turn us off.

Comment

Originally posted by Creative-1 View Post
        Malcolm Gladwell in his book "Blink" points out that a 7-second clip cannot be compared to listening to the whole song. It's faulty research methodology.
        That's true if you've never heard the song before. Clear Channel called me up for one of those. It was all stuff I'd heard regularly on KSSK, so my comments where based on the whole song.

Now where this does become a major issue is music downloading sites. How can you judge if you want it or not based on a 30 sec sample? Sometimes the sample doesn't even contain the hook line that cues you in that you kinda know that song.

My problem with the Clear Channel experience is that it was all stuff I tolerated but didn't really like. There wasn't enough range in the survey for me to express what I wanted to hear.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
          KPOI 105.9 FM seems to be going through a format change. Classic rock is mostly gone, now a mix of various rock hits.
          Ummmm, are you sure about that? Classic rock mostly gone? Hmmmm

Just went to KPOI's website and here are just some titles from the last 50 songs they played.

Misty Mountain Hop (Led Zeppelin)
          Gimme All Your Lovin' (ZZ Top)
          Jumping Jack Flash (Rolling Stones)
          Evil Woman (Electric Light Orchestra)
          Squeeze Box (The Who)
          Rambling Man (Allman Brothers Band)
          Highway To Hell (AC/DC)
          Message In A Bottle (The Police)
          Another One Bites The Dust (Queen)
          Pretty Woman (Van Halen)
          House Of The Rising Sun (The Animals)
          Jackie Blue (Ozark Mountain Devils)
          Crosstown Traffic (Jimi Hendrix Experience)
          Keep Your Hands To Yourself (Georgia Satellites)
          Walk This Way (Aerosmith)
          Somebody To Love (Jefferson Airplane)
          Owner Of A Lonely Heart (Yes)
          Time Of The Season (The Zombies)
          Africa (Toto)
          Mony Mony (Billy Idol)
          Proud Mary (Creedence Clearwater Revival)
          Tumbling Dice (Rolling Stones) only 90 minutes after Jumping Jack Flash!

And so on. Now on that same list, I did see some artists that you would normally not lump into the classic rock (or the old album-oriented rock) playlist, like Carole King, Earth Wind & Fire, Seals & Croft, and the Go-Go's. The way I see it is, KPOI seems to have expanded their roster of artists on their rotation. But classic rock "mostly gone?" Hardly.

It appears KPOI's playlist, while incorporating more pop artists into the mix, still structures their music from the mid 1960s all the way up to about the early '90s.

107.9 has seemingly abandoned the "oldies" moniker on their station IDs (now calling themselves "Hawaii's Cool Gold"). Their regular rotation runs from the mid 1960s to the late '70s. But once in a while, '80s material does get in there. (A few days ago, somebody requested Billy Ocean's Caribbean Queen!)
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

KPOI 105.9 FM seems to be going through a format change. Classic rock is mostly gone, now a mix of various rock hits.
            Originally posted by Creative-1 View Post
            The more they try to play only safe songs that listeners want to hear, the more they turn us off.
            I'm having a hard time telling 105.9 from KSSK, KRTR, and 107.9. And I miss Alice Cooper's rock-education show.

It's like reading a magazine where the Jim Beam and Camel ads have been replace with Kool-Aid and exercise equipment.

Anyone know if there's another classic-rock station on Oahu? Or has our demographic been deemed a bunch of cheapskates who don't support the advertisers?

If they think we're cheap now, wait until we turn off the radio and stick to our own iPods...
            Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
            Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
            We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
            Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
              If they think we're cheap now, wait until we turn off the radio and stick to our own iPods...
              That's what gets me about the new format. It's yet another attempt by radio to compete against the iPod. A game they can't win. Alice understood that. Between his banter, Cooper's Classics, Cooper's Covers, he offers something that's not to be found on a MP3 player.

Comment

I tuned in yesterday afternoon on the drive home just to see what's up with KPOI, and they segued from Led Zeppelin's "Misty Mountain Hop" to something from Paul Simon back into Patti Smith's "Because the Night."

I don't think I'll be making that mistake again.

Comment

Congratulations John Dietz, you are ruining KPOI. 80's pop rock + soft rock + weak classic rock, will not work. I heard a Styx and The Eagles once an hour for three hours in a row. KSSK and KRTR are already doing this format.

Plus with no true air talent on the air, Dietz why????????? Because he does not care what listeners want, he only wants to do the cheapest thing possible. I'll miss Alice Cooper, I'll miss the 80's KPOI/98 Rock. And B-Rock, stopping ripping and reading every story that comes across your lap. Those stories and bits are not funny and not interesting.

Comment

More tracks ripped from KPOI's most recently played page.

6:23 PM Robert Palmer Simply Irresistable
                    6:15 PM Elton John Crocodile Rock
                    6:12 PM Moody Blues The Story In Your Eyes
                    6:08 PM Talking Heads Burning Down The House
                    6:05 PM Eric Clapton After Midnight
                    6:01 PM Foreigner Double Vision
                    5:57 PM Tom Petty The Waiting
                    5:54 PM Carole King I Feel The Earth Move
                    5:50 PM PRINCE WHEN DOVES CRY
                    5:45 PM Thin Lizzy The Boys Are Back In Town
                    5:36 PM TOM COCHRANE LIFE IS A HIGHWAY
                    5:32 PM Doobie Brothers Listen To The Music
                    5:27 PM Led Zeppelin Whole Lotta Love
                    5:23 PM THE GO-GOS HEAD OVER HEELS
                    5:17 PM Paul McCartney and Wings Live And Let Die
                    5:14 PM Grand Funk Railroad Some Kind Of Wonderful
                    5:09 PM R.E.M. Losing My Religion
                    5:05 PM LOGGINS 7 MESSINA YOUR MAMA DONT DANCE
                    5:01 PM Bob Seger and The Silver Hollywood Nights
                    4:57 PM Elton John Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
                    4:53 PM BILLY JOEL A MATTER OF TRUST
                    4:48 PM Supertramp Give A Little Bit
                    4:38 PM Genesis Thats All
                    4:34 PM Seals and Crofts Diamond Girl
                    4:30 PM Bruce Springsteen and Th Born To Run
                    4:26 PM PRINCE and THE REVOLUTION RASPBERRY BERET
                    4:16 PM Jimmy Buffet Margaritaville
                    4:13 PM OTIS REDDING DOCK OF THE BAY
                    4:10 PM Pretenders Brass In Pocket (Im Special)
                    4:05 PM Doobie Brothers Jesus Is Just Alright

So I guess yes there are a lot of the old classic rock tracks here... but Otis Redding, Prince, Carole King... not exactly classic rock... maybe they are leaning more to classic rock lite or classic rock pop. Anyone know what to classify their format? AC Rock?

Anyone sent in a name suggestion for 105.9?
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

KSUK?

I kid, I kid. And it's all well and good to have an IPOD, but you can only listen to the same songs so many times. You need a place to hear NEW songs so you can download them to put ON the IPOD to listen to. That's where the radio comes in for me. And I didn't even have an I-Thing until Nov. 2008 (I know, I know...how did I live) when I got my IPhone. And I lost all my CDs on the plane when I moved to Hawaii. So that sucked.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

5:54 PM Carole King I Feel The Earth Move
                        Yikes! That's the second day in a row I've seen that on KPOI's playlist. Hmmmm, could be a sign that the station's playlist is limited, maybe only 300 songs or so.

So I guess yes there are a lot of the old classic rock tracks here... but Otis Redding, Prince, Carole King... not exactly classic rock... maybe they are leaning more to classic rock lite or classic rock pop. Anyone know what to classify their format? AC Rock?
                        It seems to be that KPOI is sprinkling in some older adult contemporary music. (Whereas KRTR and KSSK plays more recent AC material, from the 1990s all the way up to today.) But I want to emphasize the word sprinkle. The bulk of the programming still centers around the old classic rock staples (as even Mel acknowledges.) It should also be pointed out that while pop and soul artists from the 1960s thru the '80s have been incorporated into the mix, KPOI's playlist steers clear of disco and hip-hop. And while there's still country- rockers like CCR and the Allman Brothers, there's no pop-country artists, a la Kenny Rogers or Glenn Campbell.

It will be interesting to see where the future direction of KPOI's programming is headed.
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

They're rounding off the sharp edges of the music,looking for more female listeners. Classic rock will always be about #13 in the ratings,year after year. But it really won't have any growth. They're trying to move up in the ratings,so we'll end up with another semi-adult contemporary station.Uggh. A cross between KSSK and a true classic rock station will be an ugly mix. I've ordered another 16GB memory chip for my Fuze music player. That will give me @ 5,000 tunes on my player. Aloha car radio.

Comment

I grew up listening to KKUA, KIKI, KCCN, and eventually 98 Rock, KQMQ, stations that in the late 70's and early 80's opened up the world for me in terms of music. Whenever I come back home, I try to see what stations are still around. I generally will tap into whatever Hawaiian music I'll find just because I don't get that around here, but it's sad to see that even in Hawai'i, a lot of the stations have conformed to eliminating their DJ's/announcers to the point where it's just a makeshift iPod playlist. For me, I like going into a city or town and hearing what's local, meaning local flavor, local voices, I want to catch the vibe of the city. Yet I know in the last 30 years, there has been a shift in making sure stations play the same 250 songs all the time, especially as companies are able to buy more than one station in a city or region, so if one company owns stations across a state or region, you'll most likely hear the same Creedence Clearwater Revival song everywhere.

I really liked it when Radio Free Hawai'i was around, and if it's not Hawaiian music I'm listening to, I'll definitely listen to KTUH.

Obviously more people have iPod's or make their own custom CD-R's to play in their cars, or of course whatever exists of satellite radio, and yet these stations continue to take away any life out of what used to be an incredible way to listen to music. Maybe as we become more aware of how the biz works, we realize that for a lot of mainstream stations, the music is a lure for you to stick around and listen to a 6 minute commercial block. There was a local station here (Washington State) where the commercial block was 11 minutes, and it happened twice. That's 38 minutes of music in an hour, probably less if you include any weather, traffic reports, or station ID's.

I enjoy both old and new music, so I'll get into Totimoshi, Emily Wells, and Kat 010 as much as I enjoy listening to King Crimson, New York Ensemble Rock'n'Roll Ensemble, and Sun Ra, but if I'm on a "classic rock" or "oldies" station, I'll most likely hear "Do You Feel Like We Do", "Proud Mary" (CCR, never Ike & Tina Turner's cover), and "In The Air Tonight". It's funny to think that games like "Guitar Hero" and "Rock Band" are one of the few ways a younger generation gets to hear album tracks.

Comment

hope this link works - to a PBN "latest news" story about clear Channel changes to programming and sales:

http://pacific.bizjournals.com/pacif...l?surround=lfn

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                                hope this link works - to a PBN "latest news" story about clear Channel changes to programming and sales
                                A PBN news story? Reads more like a Clear Channel press release, if you ask me.

The press release says nothing specific about how "managers will have the latitude to choose content and talent for their stations..." Even more disturbing, when it talks about how it is "extremely challenging for some local stations to invest in developing the highest-quality programming and talent," CC then blows their own horn about the ratings success of their nationally syndicated shows hosted by Ryan Seacrest and Steve Harvey. So much for any firm commitment on CC's part to have stations develop homegrown talent and programming. If anything, it sounds like they might be homogenizing their product even more. Oh joy! In addition to hearing the same songs from city to city, we can look forward to hearing the same announcers as well.

The way I read this is: pure PR puff piece designed to make potential advertisers excited about the "new" face of CC radio stations when in reality, no concrete plans are being announced to depart from the same ole same ole.
                                Last edited by Frankie's Market; April 18, 2009, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X