I'm Back in School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Back in School

After 22 years of being in the drywall and metal stud trades and having two spinal surgeries I have decided to go back to school. I'm in my 5th week of school at ITT Tech for Construction Management. First two years I'm studying Computer Drafting and Design for an Associates Degree. After that it's off for a BS in Construction Management.

This will enable me to come back home after I graduate. I'll finally be able to live in Honolulu without pinching pennies! I hope work for Hawaiian Dredging as a Project Manager.

Re: I'm Back in School

Originally posted by Zendik View Post
    After 22 years of being in the drywall and metal stud trades and having two spinal surgeries I have decided to go back to school.
    Wow. Your body has definitely paid its dues.

I'm in my 5th week of school at ITT Tech for Construction Management.
    Congrats on going back to school, to improve your life. I'm sure it's both scary, exciting, and boring at the same time. Best of luck to you, dude
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

I'm back in school too. xD

But it's mandatory for someone of my age.

Comment

After 22 years of being in the drywall and metal stud trades and having two spinal surgeries I have decided to go back to school. I'm in my 5th week of school at ITT Tech for Construction Management. First two years I'm studying Computer Drafting and Design for an Associates Degree. After that it's off for a BS in Construction Management.

This will enable me to come back home after I graduate. I'll finally be able to live in Honolulu without pinching pennies! I hope work for Hawaiian Dredging as a Project Manager.
        I just wanted to say that I think your going back to school after 22 yrs is awesome. I went back after 9 years. I'm still there 25 years later .

Comment

congratulations Zendik
          stay forever young

Comment

Hey Zendik! How's school?

Comment

Truly congrats on choosing school to all that do!
              I've been told I should too, recently.
              If(when) I do, it'll be for art and writing courses though.
              Not what was suggested.

I write poetry and draw, but fear of failure has held me back.
              Want to make a go at my creative side.
              What a hippie, alternative, whatever kind of guy... really.
              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

This is an inspiring thread for me.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

After 22 years of being in the drywall and metal stud trades and having two spinal surgeries I have decided to go back to school.
                  Hmmm. Seems like "drywall" and "back problems" go hand-in-hand. Warning to any young person thinking about a career in this line of work.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Congrats to everyone here who has decided to go back to school, or who is already there! I made that decision as well 7 years ago. Now, in just 2 weeks, I will be graduating with my Masters Degree in English from Southern Illinois University. I am so excited, and can't believe that all my hard work has finally paid off!
                    To everyone who is on this same path of education, just keep plugging away at it! It's such a satisfying feeling to finally reach this goal. hugs,
                    Nelli

Comment

Ohmygosh, Nelli, congrats to you! That's wonderful!!

Its nice to hear "just keep plugging away - its worth it" from someone who's about to finish. Whenever I get discouraged at school, this phrase becomes my mantra.
                      ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Turtlegirl, thank you! Yes, that thought was what always kept me going too...that and the knowledge that I was setting a wonderful example for my kiddos! Now they all want to go to college and I am so proud of them..and myself (of course living on campus in family housing, the boys got a glimpse of the "college girls"...that may have persuaded them that college was the right choice even more than I did haha)!
                        You can definitely do it! Go all the way girl!
                        Nelli

Comment

I can relate to all of you! After getting tired of being stuck because of not having a master's degree, last year I decided on going back to grad school to get my Master's in Info. Systems. I graduate in April from U. of Phoenix's online school (6 week accelerated courses to get the degree in one year). I graduate in April . For anyone who is hesitant to go back, I'm doing it for my family as well as myself because in these tough times, we'll need as much help as we can get.

Comment

Hawaii bound Nelli they have family college housing? I would really be interested in that? Can you tell me more about it? Is it all over the United States or just in your state?

Thanks
                            Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Comment

Yes they have family housing at a lot of universities. Not all of them have it, but a lot do. Just look at some different schools and look at their housing links. It really helped a lot because my rent was taken out of the student loans, and everything was included. Plus they had family services, lots of activities for the families, and some after school kid care too. It would have been really difficult to get through school without all that support
                              (especially as a single mom of three)
                              ... definitely worth looking into!
                              Nelli

Comment

Working...
                              X