Can you recommend a plumber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you recommend a plumber?

We have an old house. I like to refer to it as vintage--43 years old. As a result, our pipes are crapping out here and there. We called a plumber and got someone after two weeks of waiting, only to get billed for a job (nearly $400) that was unacceptable. A kid in plumbing 101 could have done it in two hours, but this person took four hours and a friend to make matters worse. A couple of discussions resulted in the company walking away without my money.

That's why I'm asking to find out if anyone can recommend a solid, dependable, certified, respected, plumber on Oahu. Fortunately, we don't have an emergency, but this whole situation makes me wonder how nuts it would be if there were. And I also wonder just how few certified plumbers there are here.

Mahalo,
    Aloha from Lavagal

Re: Can you recommend a plumber?

Plumbers and Electricians are in short supply throughout the State. Expect $75/hr for a plumber, and up to $100/hr for an electrician.

It's a great business to go into right now if you can handle all the crap work.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
      Plumbers and Electricians are in short supply throughout the State. Expect $75/hr for a plumber, and up to $100/hr for an electrician.

It's a great business to go into right now if you can handle all the crap work.
      It was actually $110 the first hour, $95 per hour after that. And still, not exactly skilled workmanship.
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Sounds about right. I was aiming low to try to ease your pain.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Haven't personally used a plumber in Hawaii, but TNH Plumbing (622-1695) in Wahiawa has been busy over the last few years. If they were fly-by-night we wouldn't be seeing their trucks so often. They've been fixing water-supply leaks in concrete slabs that were causing litigation threats with Castle & Cooke.

A friend gave me a word-of-mouth referral to JJ's Drain Service in Pearl City (455-4030). They seem to be a spouse team. Again I haven't used them but I'm keeping the refrigerator magnet handy.

Is it a job that you'd want to tackle on your own after a Home Depot class? The reason I ask is because there are plenty of big jobs for the good plumbers, which leaves a lot of inexperienced guys doing toilet & faucet repairs. We had so much trouble getting a plumber for a 1990 bathroom rehab that we ended up doing the whole job ourselves. 30 phone calls and only two responses. It was literally easier to learn how (not to mention cheaper) than it was to get someone to come out to the house for an estimate, let alone to do the work.
          Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
          Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
          We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
          Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Try calling Creative Plumbing...very reliable.

Comment

With the new "Shark-Bite" copper plumbing that require no soldering (as in, no sweat), plumbing has become much easier. It's REAL expensive, but it never leaks, and comes apart easy also with a $.99 cent tool.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

I heard something very interesting during a meeting at my Makaha complex. Due to unbridled "neglect", the complex is experiencing plumbing problems that need to be addressed immediately. The complex's insurance agent was present for the meeting. During a discussion of galvanized vs PVC vs copper, agent told us about other complexes that went with PVC but then had a problem with rats gnawing thru those pipes. Yikes! I'd never heard of that. I wonder if there's a coating that can be applied to PVC that will repel rats.

Comment

I really appreciate everyone's participation in this thread. I've placed a couple of calls but got none back. I will definitely share my results.
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
                    Try calling Creative Plumbing...very reliable.
                    Sorry I’m slow at responding to this. My property manger called Creative Plumbing to replace some drain pipes under the kitchen sink of a rental. They billed me some very high prices for the parts. One piece cost me $47. This is the piece that goes between the sink drains. It called a continuous waste. That same piece in Home Depot was less than $6. I complained to my property manger and he talked to them. Their response was they use a better grade of plastic pipe than what you can by at the hardware store.

Chrome plated brass is still a lot less than $47 at the hardware store.

I call them Creative Pricing and Plumbing.

I’ve had much better luck with A1 plumbing. Still cost a bundle.
                    "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
                    Ayn Rand

Comment

Try 1-808 225 2640

Comment

Originally posted by 68-eldo View Post
                        Sorry I’m slow at responding to this. My property manger called Creative Plumbing to replace some drain pipes under the kitchen sink of a rental. They billed me some very high prices for the parts. One piece cost me $47. This is the piece that goes between the sink drains. It called a continuous waste. That same piece in Home Depot was less than $6. I complained to my property manger and he talked to them. Their response was they use a better grade of plastic pipe than what you can by at the hardware store.

Chrome plated brass is still a lot less than $47 at the hardware store.

I call them Creative Pricing and Plumbing.

I’ve had much better luck with A1 plumbing. Still cost a bundle.
                        Wow really sorry to hear about this. I've used them before and was always satisfied with the workmanship and cost. It's been a few years so maybe the the people in charge have changed. Sorry that my suggestion turned out to be a bad one.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
                          Wow really sorry to hear about this. I've used them before and was always satisfied with the workmanship and cost. It's been a few years so maybe the the people in charge have changed. Sorry that my suggestion turned out to be a bad one.
                          I was just relating my experience. Others may have a different experience. But at least they will be forewarned.

My problem may be more related to having a property manager. Maybe an individual will get a better deal.
                          "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
                          Ayn Rand

Comment

What I found with the company I worked with was that they had no one but this journeyman they sent, and an apprentice, available. I don't understand that. Apparently, they use certified plumbers for big contract jobs. So who is hiring real plumbers? How much do they cost? And why do they throw incompetent employees at manini homeowners? This only ruins their reputation among the salt of the earth. I got an apology letter from the owner of the company, Alpha and Omega Plumbing, but I still have a bowl under my bathroom sink, a leaky kitchen faucet, and shower valves that are overly sensitive and turn in the wrong direction.
                            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Whenever I can I do it myself. Cost is about one tenth of using a licensed plumber and I can keep at it until I’m satisfied.

Questions? Ask the old lady in the plumbing department of Yamashiros in Kaneohe. There are a few good people in City Mill that can help you too. Look for the old people.
                              Ayn Rand

Comment

Working...
                              X