The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 4

There should be a translation subtitles option during the debates to show what they're really thinking and saying.

Comment

McCain's Planetariophobia

This is no surprise. McCain was just a boy when the authorities went after Galileo.

Comment

I may not be the brightest crayon in the box....in fact I know I'm missing a few colors....and the Democrats may not be the best pick for who's to run this country, but I am sooo very tired of the 'neo-stupid' movement we've been fed under the guise of 'folksiness'.

At this point I'd probably vote for almost anyone that shows they have more than two brain cells to rub together and shows they're not afraid to use em to strike a spark.

PLEASE!!!

I'm tired of being forced to puddle around in vapid tar pits of faux stoopid.

Comment

for those that are on the fence on who to vote for, and are willing to watch a three minute video, you may want to clickhttp://www.catholicvote.com/ it may be time to vote your conscience.
          Last edited by escondido100; October 9, 2008, 06:56 AM. Reason: broken link
          the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

WOW, are these the typical McCain supporters?!

The cameraman does seem to taunt at a couple points, but a lot of it is unprovoked.

The two videos, check 'em out

http://news.aol.com/political-machin...ing-prospects/
            flickr

An email from God:
            To: People of Earth
            Date: 9/04/2007
            Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
            God

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
              The two videos, check 'em out
              No thanks, I've already seen Deliverance.

Comment

Why I am so cynical about the elections ---

Read the discussions on any internet boards, HT included. Look how easily many people fall into divisive class-ism. ALL liberals are cockroaches. ALL Republicans are evil. ALL Democrats are godless. ALL conservatives are heartless.

People who profess to hate racism have no problems dissing all members of another category. It’s no different, except that stereotyping by race has become a “bad” thing to do – while it’s still acceptable to stereotype by other classifications: Age. Monetary status. Religious affiliation. Political leaning.

If you are capable of seeing why it is inaccurate to put specific behavioral traits at the end of phrases such as “all Hawaiians are …” or “all Blacks are …” or “all Haoles are …,” you should have no trouble grasping why it’s equally incorrect to say “all Baby Boomers are …,” “all Christian fundamentalists are …” or “all NPR listeners are …”

National politicians of recent vintage have become masters at manipulating this divisiveness in Americans, and using it to their advantage. Any real message of what they will propose to do if they are in power is overwhelmed by their wild taunts about the perceived faults and flaws of their opponents.

The voting public that craves intelligent discussion of issues has lost out to those who want to hear more about a candidate’s child’s child, or acquaintances from the 1960s, or number of divorces – or any of a number of far more trivial topics.

This didn’t start with the election of 2008, by any means. But it is why I continue to profess that the American Empire is in dramatic decline, and it’s foolish to fail to recognize that. And when we look for someone to blame, it ain’t the media or the politicians --- the culprits look back from the mirror.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                  No thanks, I've already seen Deliverance.
                  lol, Great post, would read again!
                  flickr

An email from God:
                  To: People of Earth
                  Date: 9/04/2007
                  Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                  God

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    Why I am so cynical about the elections ---

Read the discussions on any internet boards, HT included. Look how easily many people fall into divisive class-ism. ALL liberals are cockroaches. ALL Republicans are evil. ALL Democrats are godless. ALL conservatives are heartless.

People who profess to hate racism have no problems dissing all members of another category. It’s no different, except that stereotyping by race has become a “bad” thing to do – while it’s still acceptable to stereotype by other classifications: Age. Monetary status. Religious affiliation. Political leaning.

If you are capable of seeing why it is inaccurate to put specific behavioral traits at the end of phrases such as “all Hawaiians are …” or “all Blacks are …” or “all Haoles are …,” you should have no trouble grasping why it’s equally incorrect to say “all Baby Boomers are …,” “all Christian fundamentalists are …” or “all NPR listeners are …”

National politicians of recent vintage have become masters at manipulating this divisiveness in Americans, and using it to their advantage. Any real message of what they will propose to do if they are in power is overwhelmed by their wild taunts about the perceived faults and flaws of their opponents.

The voting public that craves intelligent discussion of issues has lost out to those who want to hear more about a candidate’s child’s child, or acquaintances from the 1960s, or number of divorces – or any of a number of far more trivial topics.

This didn’t start with the election of 2008, by any means. But it is why I continue to profess that the American Empire is in dramatic decline, and it’s foolish to fail to recognize that. And when we look for someone to blame, it ain’t the media or the politicians --- the culprits look back from the mirror.
                    I don't get it. No one 'looks back from the mirror'. An image may be reflected, but no one 'looks back'. So you believe no one is to blame. Okay, I might find a point of agreement there. It's mighty hard to blame the ignorant for spreading the 'facts and faith' they've been taught and for disregarding the reality they've been told isn't there or isn't true or isn't important. Who's to blame for teaching others to believe as they themselves believe - who could do otherwise? What parent or teacher says, "Believe nothing but what you personally analyze and determine through continual investigation, experimentation and logical reasoning to be true, no matter who claims it to be true - not even what I am telling you right now"?
                    Last edited by salmoned; October 9, 2008, 03:15 PM.
                    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                      I don't get it. No one 'looks back from the mirror'. An image may be reflected, but no one 'looks back'. So you believe no one is to blame.
                      When your eyes are closed, you will not see.

No, you certainly don't get it; that is obvious by your assumption of what I believe.

Comment

Yes, and even with open eyes one cannot see without illumination. So, why don't you turn on a light?

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                          Yes, and even with open eyes one cannot see without illumination.
                          And there we do agree. So - back to the thread's topic, then?

Comment

The only difference I see between your comments and the attitude you deride is that you didn't use the word 'all' in your group characterizations. Characterizing 'National politicians of recent vintage...' and 'The voting public that craves intelligent discussion...' is clearly in the same vein of fallacy as 'all Christian fundamentalists...'. So I now can clearly see who's looking back in your mirror.

Comment

Here comes a classic zinger....ya ready libs?

It's amazing to me how Obama's rise in the polls has been inversely proportional to Wall St's gigantic losses. The only station reporting this is Fox News. Not a mention, or even the merest speculation on MSNBC, CNN, or NPR.

Just thinking out loud. And with recent Fed interest cuts, I think I might refinance and go on another real estate buying spree. Gotta love the way the money markets respond when liberalism is perceived as succeeding.

Perhaps there is a bright side to an Obama Presidency, and I just never noticed.

glurg
                              FutureNewsNetwork.com
                              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I have seen articles and heard news stories that attribute the increase in Obama's popularity at least in part to the rise in economic concern and the feeling that McCain is not good (or as good) in handling economic matters. Another part that seems to be helping Obama is a general distaste the voters seem to have for mudslinging and negative campaigning.

Comment

Working...
                                X