Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 4

Originally posted by Kaukura View Post
    i have read that it is known but very hush hush that Laura Bush smokes. Maybe she's quit or has tried to, but I've read that she does indeed do so. Not that it matters IMO.
    Can you still "smoke a pipe" in the White House? I thought you get impeached for that.

Comment

George congressman and longtime civil rights activist John Lewis had some strong words for John McCain and Sarah Palin today.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpu...f-mccains.html

"As one who was a victim of violence and hate during the height of the Civil Rights Movement, I am deeply disturbed by the negative tone of the McCain-Palin campaign. What I am seeing reminds me too much of another destructive period in American history. Sen. McCain and Gov. Palin are sowing the seeds of hatred and division, and there is no need for this hostility in our political discourse."

Lewis even invokes segregationist former Gov. George Wallace, saying Wallace "never threw a bomb. He never fired a gun, but he created the climate and the conditions that encouraged vicious attacks against innocent Americans who were simply trying to exercise their constitutional rights. Because of this atmosphere of hate, four little girls were killed on Sunday morning when a church was bombed in Birmingham, Alabama."

Lewis concludes: "As public figures with the power to influence and persuade, Sen. McCain and Gov. Palin are playing with fire, and if they are not careful, that fire will consume us all. They are playing a very dangerous game that disregards the value of the political process and cheapens our entire democracy."

To which John McCain (someone who never fails to capitalize on playing the hurt aggrieved victim of harsh comments) predictably had this to say.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpu...-offended.html

"Congressman John Lewis' comments represent a character attack against Governor Sarah Palin and me that is shocking and beyond the pale," McCain said. "The notion that legitimate criticism of Senator Obama's record and positions could be compared to Governor George Wallace, his segregationist policies and the violence he provoked is unacceptable and has no place in this campaign.""The notion that legitimate criticism of Senator Obama's record and positions could be compared to Governor George Wallace, his segregationist policies and the violence he provoked is unacceptable and has no place in this campaign."

McCain continued, saying "I am saddened that John Lewis, a man I've always admired, would make such a brazen and baseless attack on my character and the character of the thousands of hardworking Americans who come to our events to cheer for the kind of reform that will put America on the right track."

"I call on Senator Obama to immediately and personally repudiate these outrageous and divisive comments that are so clearly designed to shut down debate 24 days before the election. Our country must return to the important debate about the path forward for America."

I tell you. McCain has some nerve calling on Obama to repudiate the comments of John Lewis, when he and his running mate didn't repudiate the yells of traitor, terrorist, off with his head, and kill him from his own supporters at McCain/Palin rallies. Only yesterday when some nutjob lady called Obama an Arab did McCain finally respond to this kind of outrageous sentiment. But if McCain thinks that this one (rather belated) act of condemning anti-Obama smearing gives him the license to browbeat Obama into keeping the rhetoric in the campaign clean, give me a FREAKIN' BREAK! McCain is like the spoiled little kid who has no problems making fun of everybody else in the schoolyard. But when all the other kids get fed up and they turn the tables on him, the spoiled kid runs to the teacher and starts hysterically crying that the other kids have ganged up together to tease and harrass him.

I don't know how Barack Obama will respond to this latest tempest in a teapot. But if it was up to me, I would say, "Grow up, Sen. McCain. Straighten out your own house first before you presume to lecture Obama and his surrogates on running a clean campaign."
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

How Racism Works...

What if John McCain were a former president of the Harvard Law Review?
        What if Barack Obama finished fifth from the bottom of his graduating class?

What if McCain were still married to the first woman he said 'I do' to?
        What if Obama were the candidate who left his first wife and became engaged one month later?

What if Michelle Obama were a wife who not only became addicted to pain killers, but acquired them illegally through her charitable organization?
        What if Cindy McCain graduated from Harvard?

What if Obama were a member of the Keating-5?
        What if McCain were a charismatic, eloquent speaker?

If these questions reflected reality, do you really believe the election numbers would be as close as they are?
        This is what racism does. It covers up, rationalizes and minimizes positive qualities in one candidate and emphasizes negative qualities in another when there is a color difference.

You are The Boss... which team would you hire?

With America facing historic debt, 2 wars, stumbling health care, a weakened dollar, all-time high prison population, mortgage crises, bank foreclosures, etc.

Educational Background:

Obama:
        Columbia University - B.A. Political Science with a Specialization in International Relations.
        Harvard - Juris Doctor (J.D.) Magna Cum Laude

Biden:
        University of Delaware - B.A. in History and B.A. in Political Science.
        Syracuse University College of Law - Juris Doctor (J.D.)

vs.

McCain:
        United States Naval Academy - Class rank: 894 of 899

Palin:
        Hawaii Pacific University - 1 semester

North Idaho College - 2 semesters - general study

University of Idaho - 2 semesters - journalism Matanuska-Susitna College - 1 semester

University of Idaho - 3 semesters - B.A. in Journalism

Now, which team are you going to hire ?

>> PS: What if Barack Obama had an unwed, pregnant teenage daughter....

Comment

FM, all that crap from JMc's response is pure coaching from his handler's teachings by Karl Rove. McCain himself couldn't put two sentences together such as the ones writen for him.

Yet another wheel off the BS Express. It's already a unicycle and by tomorrow it'll be up on blocks.
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

The Ohio Republican Party used Jackson Brown's "Running On Empty" in a pro-McCain/anti-Obama campaign ad, without permission (Browne is suing over this one).

Sen. McCain's crew also used a "we're not worthy" clip from Wayne's World, without permission - until Mike Myers told them to stop.

Gov. Palin used Heart's "Barracuda" without permission, even after receiving legal notice to cease and desist.

During the primary season, John Mellencamp had to tell Sen. McCain's campaign to stop using his songs "Our Country" and "Pink Houses" (without permission, of course) at his rallies.

Most recently, it's the Foo Fighters who have told the McCain camp to cease the use of their song "My Hero." (Do I need to add ... without permission?)

If you have any appreciation for the creative artists whose work you enjoy - please take note of the GOP's repeated lack of respect for their intellectual property rights.

Comment

Its been on a couple of Air America shows that the Republicans have already stolen this election by having their secretaries of state in 6 of the "battle ground" states purge Democrats from voter rolls--100,000 in Colorado alone, a fifth of Democrtic voters. So the country gets elderly doddering confused and very angry McCain for president while it slides into another Depression and fully half the population will know its another bogus government, and if God forbid McCain can't finish his term the absolutely unqualified hockey mom with that incredibly irritating voice becomes the Commander In Chief. Anyway, keep your eye on the electoral vote, see if Iowa and Colorado and New Mexico go Republican and there is an unusually low turnout of Democratic voters. Not that the press would ever report that. They are now occupied with whatever trivial transgressions ACORN has committed, and are oblivious to the purge of the Democratic voter rolls. Maybe Air America is wrong. I would prefer to believe so.

Comment

Don't forget the theme from Rocky

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/ar...nce_on_mccain/

Use of Van Halen's stuff:

http://newsroom.mtv.com/2008/09/05/v...ld-mccain-use/

John Hall told him to knock off using 'Still the One'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDelE...eature=related

And Franky Valli:

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/200...-campai-1.html

They whine about having to pull the we're not worthy bit:

http://www.johnmccain.com/mccainrepo...1-077b5438c319

He is busted for using Katie Couric in a politcal ad:

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/...4128.asp?c=rss

Now the Foo Fighters?
                http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b330...th_mccain.html

Sooo it's up to what...a total of 10? (two for Mellencamp) versions of infringement so far?

Comment

Ummm...Make that 11....it's bad when FOX has to send a Cease and Desist for copyright infringement:

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/...7190.asp?c=rss

"Fox News requests that you immediately cease and desist from any further use of the copyrighted material and that access through the Website to the Material, and any other Fox News materials, be immediately disabled."

And yet....the irony ...

http://technorati.com/posts/UuZyw6St...%2Bv1OQaMVs%3D

Sean Cairncross, the party's chief counsel, wrote (.pdf) the Foster City, California online vendor that the GOP "takes infringements upon its trademarks seriously." "Please cease and desist from allowing vendors to utilize the federally registered trademarks of the RNC or we will be forced to consider a legal remedy," Cairncross wrote CafePress.

Although to be fair Obama got one too from CBS:

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/...5839.asp?c=rss

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    If you have any appreciation for the creative artists whose work you enjoy - please take note of the GOP's repeated lack of respect for their intellectual property rights.
                    Very true. Although you can't really blame the Republicans for trying. Vast majority of all the cool songs are made by liberals. If GOP politicians had to stick with conservative-minded musicians, they would be restricted to either country music or to trailer trash rockers like Ted Nugent or Kid Rock.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                      [...]If GOP politicians had to stick with conservative-minded musicians, they would be restricted to either country music or to trailer trash rockers like Ted Nugent or Kid Rock.
                      Oh thank gawd...someone else feels the same way about KR as I do!!! I just don't get his success...at all! Generation gap?

Comment

Ted Nugent, Kid Rock.....auwwrighghghhhh and Bocephus, with Monday Night Football/NASCAR/hunting/fishing/farming/old skul rules. Morality, Honor, Dignity, Family, Truth, Honesty, Hardwork, and Friendship. Treat others....et al.

A BBQ at my place, and a seat for all. Bring your favorite enemy.
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com
                        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

William Buckley's son for Obama Buckley's Podcast about same subject on bloomberg.com
                          Last edited by Vanguard; October 12, 2008, 06:00 AM.

Comment

This is just sad:

http://the-uptake.groups.theuptake.o...ryView/id/939/

Comment

Newt Gingrich says the GOP is worried about Sen. McCain's chances:
                              "He has to make the case that he's different than Bush and better than Obama on the economy," said former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, one of more than a dozen prominent Republicans who in interviews during the past week expressed concern over the course of McCain's bid. "If he doesn't win that case, it's all over, and it's going to be a very bad year for Republicans."
                              Source

Comment

lol!!!!

thank you matapule!!!

i look forward to signing on to hawaii threads - just to find out matauple's thoughts on mccain and palin....especially that......of palin

it is clear matapule dislikes palin and mccain with a passion

for that matapule you deserve a curtsy

*curtsies to matauple*
                                stay forever young

Comment

Working...
                                X