• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 4

McCain: "After I whip his 'you-know-what'"

Comment

huh. What happened to McCain's thought that a proper presidential candidate should "talk and walk softly and carry a big stick"? Wasn't his criticism of Obama that he felt Obama was talking too much about what he'd do to opponents intead of just doing it?

Comment

Yeah, what's with all this 'code talking' - 'his you-know-what' = black ass; 'stark differences' = he's black, I'm white. If McCain has something to say, why not just say it? Leaving it all to the listener's imagination just doesn't cut the mustard. I respected the man for his 'maverick' ways, but he's no maverick today.
        Last edited by salmoned; October 13, 2008, 11:43 AM.
        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

McCain adds:
          I wanna emphasize again, I respect Sen. Obama," McCain said. "We will conduct a respectful race and we will make sure that everybody else does too,...
          It's a little late for that claim, isn't it?

Comment

Well, it was only a matter of time. After days of McCain and Palin hammering Obama for "palling around with terrorists" because of his serving on an educational board with former 1960s radical Bill Ayers, Virginia's GOP chairman has taken it further and now links Obama to Osama Bin Laden. And even after the initial wave of criticism to this statement, the Republican official did not back down from his outrageous charges. How low will the Republicans go?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...101201956.html
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I really think some people are trying to rile up the nuts enough to try to kill Obama.

Comment

It's all about the 'dog whistle' effect.

http://ethicalmartini.wordpress.com/...dog-whistling/

“Dog whistling”, or “dog whistle politics” is a relatively new term that’s emerged in politics over the past decade or so. It refers to the art of calling up your supporters and getting them riled up by using subtly coded language that appeals to their baser instincts.

http://racecardpoliticswatch.wordpress.com/about/

Dog-Whistle Racism is political campaigning or policy-making that uses coded words and themes to appeal to conscious or subconscious racist concepts and frames. For example, the concepts ‘welfare queen,’ ’states’ rights,’ ‘Islamic terrorist,’ ‘uppity,’ 'thug,' 'tough on crime,' and ‘illegal alien’ all activate racist concepts that that have already been planted in the public consciousness and now are being activated by purposeful or accidental campaign activities, media coverage, public policy and cultural traditions. So, what’s dog whistle racism? It’s pure political theater to push buttons to win elections and policies.

Basically it uses phrasing and purposeful pauses in sentences to troll for reactions. If you aren't a part of the targeted audience or one who has been targeted by that specific audience....you won't really notice it. It's meant and psychologically pitched for the sonic understanding of the targeted audience, like a dog whistle is sound pitched for only a dog's hearing.

Once the reaction to the psychological pitch has been picked up by the few, that understanding is passed to other like minded individuals and it starts a cascade effect.

Comment

“It has deeply saddened us to see Senator McCain abandon his historic support for ACORN and our efforts to support the goals of low-income Americans."

Comment

*cackles* @ the thought of support and the abandobment of mccain towards low-income

and obama is a supporter of low-income americans? i hurl at the thought - aside from the 4 years he supported and as a community organizer, offering neighborhood economic development at Grove Parc in Chicago.

not forgetting the 8 years as Grove Parc's representative in the Illinois State Senate and 4 years as a U.S Senator - the end to that.

all obama ever talks about now is middle america and the middle class no mention of low income america

unless of course i am hallucinating

*cackles*
                    stay forever young

Comment

You know that the McCain/Palin campaign is in serious trouble when the most stinging criticism comes, not from liberals or independents, but from McCain's own party.

As if the earlier swipes from conservative mainstays like George Will, Kathleen Parker, David Brooks, and Christopher Buckley weren't bad enough, more dissenters have come out of the right-wing woodwork today:

Bill Kristol (NY Times/Fox News commentator) calling on McCain to fire his campaign strategists.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/13/op...=1&oref=slogin

Christopher Hitchens (Vanity Fair/Slate columnist) is now openly endorsing Obama, as he can no longer hide his distaste for McCain and Palin.

http://slate.com/id/2202163

Even Florida Gov. Charlie Crist has seemingly distanced himself from the McCain/Palin bandwagon, publicly saying that he plans to spend less time on the presidential campaign trail. Not surprising, given state polling data that now shows the Democratic ticket is in the lead and that Crist and the Florida GOP will have their hands full trying to avert an Obama coattail effect on the state and local races there.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/poli...ry/722731.html
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

post 81 should be deleted. The last two words should not be used in a public forum, or any forum for that matter.
                        i will not vote for obama, but if elected he will be my president. currently he is a US senator and despite differences he deserves respect.
                        Last edited by escondido100; October 13, 2008, 06:35 PM.
                        the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

Sen. McCain is going to be on Letterman later this week because he knows the presidential nomination goes through David Letterman.

Comment

The death card is a legit topic, and has been discussed here already.
                            I still say it's very possible, if not probable that there will be an attempt.

McCain is going to wish somebody would off him when Letterman get's hold of him.
                            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                              McCain is going to wish somebody would off him when Letterman get's hold of him.
                              I don't think McCain will have it that bad on The Late Show this Thursday. As long as McCain utters the magic words, "I'm sorry," Dave will probably bury the hatchet..... Well, maybe after Dave receives an apology and gets a couple of good-natured zingers in at the senator.

Comment

Originally posted by escondido100 View Post
                                post 81 should be deleted. The last two words should not be used in a public forum, or any forum for that matter.
                                i will not vote for obama, but if elected he will be my president. currently he is a US senator and despite differences he deserves respect.
                                The topic has been in the news a lot lately since a few McCain supporters have been shouting for someone to kill Obama. You'd have to censor a lot more than this forum to quiet that information. I'm not saying that I hope someone kills a presidential candidate, just that there are certain people who are trying to incite crazy people to do just that.

Comment

Working...
                                X