Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What residents of Hawaii miss while being at someplace else

Default What residents of Hawaii miss while being at someplace else

Inspired by this post on this thread, we can discuss or list that things that State of Hawaii residents miss while traveling or living out of the state of Hawaii.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    I'm a happy hawaii import goin' on 34 years now. But when I go mainland, I probably whine a lot.

Got any of your own?
    For myself I don't travel often but I did go to Nevada last month and some of the things that floored me were:

You mean they serve macroni and cheese at the KFC here
    I should not cut thru the shrubs, their might be snakes in them
    Look at the choo-choo train
    Sand Storm
    Eating fired rice at a chinese bistro (the menu did say fired rice not fried rice)
    $2.50 for a can of Mountain Dew (to be honest that was at the San Franiscso airport on the way home).

Default Re: What residents of Hawaii miss while being at someplace else

Water that's warm enough to swim in, all year round!!
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

A warm ocean to enjoy.

We have shortened 2 different vacations. Begging airlines to let us come home early without extra charges.

When I am not here, I miss being home, terribly.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

The mana...it's unique.

Default Nothing

I'm always here and not leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    The mana...it's unique.
    yes, that's why we're moving to the big island. sorry, tim, we're tired of the ocean and long to be in the forest with its spirituality, serenity and peacefulness (sp). no, we won't be neighbors. we're moving to puna should the purchase materialize. flying up next wednesday for the home inspection.
    "chaos reigns within.
    reflect, repent and reboot.
    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

When I'm on the Mainland I miss surfing-- let alone good surfing.

I get awful tired of hearing [insert your favorite regional accent] "All y'all are from Hawayuh and yer vacationin' hee-yer?!?"

Right up there with [pick another gum-smacking regional accent] "Really? I went ta Wacky-wacky ## years ago on ma furst honeymoon an' lemme tell yew..."

Our kid claims to miss rice and all things li hing mui, but she makes do with french fries and chocolate.

I don't miss anything else but I'll point out some things to our kid that you can't get in Hawaii: "Look, honey, squirrels! Chipmunks! Autumn leaves! Morning fog! 65 mph speed limits with 25 miles of traffic jams!!"
    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

The food, the beaches, and the beach parks. But I have heard that the beaches and parks are not safe anymore with all the druggies and homeless there.

Quote Originally Posted by Nords View Post
    I don't miss anything else but I'll point out some things to our kid that you can't get in Hawaii: "Look, honey, squirrels! "

I was on the mainland for two weeks and did not see a single squirrel. I was highly disappointed.

I don't think I've been living here long enough to add anything to this list. I've only gone off-island once and I was too busy to miss anything other than my bed.

Quote Originally Posted by sophielynette View Post
    I was on the mainland for two weeks and did not see a single squirrel. I was highly disappointed.
    Me, too, SL. Went to the West Coast and to the East Coast, saw some pretty mountains and lots of rain and cloudy skies, hugged ohana and could not wait to get off the plane in Honolulu!!

Guess I'm really home now...get homesick for O`ahu! It was great to put the coat and long sleeve sweaters away.

(We looked hard for wildlife on the mainland to no avail. Saw ducks and a swan, though.)

I loved the list Slick gave on TG's thread...made me laugh!!

Here in Virginia Beach, VA there are a couple of so called "hawaiian restaurants" and they try to be like L & L or Zippys but they can't and also the prices are expensive. My husband and I went to this restaurant called "Ohanas" and the guy who opened it is from the Windward side but shoots he make the prices expensive... katsu $10 compared to L & L which is like $5. I don't know but after that experience we never went back.

We long to visit Hawaii and live on the ultimate island. We are Long Islanders and of course, there are plenty of Hawaiian wanna-bes on this island. Although we enjoy the luaus and had a few of our own, we never visited Hawaii. I even remember a place called the Bali Hai where my parents used to take me for occasions when I was little. We are trying to plan a honeymoon to Hawaii for our tenth anniversary and if we could relocate there we would be the happiest couple in the world! Meanwhile, I'll be wearing flowers in my hair, sipping tropical drinks and having Kona coffee in the morning...

Angry Re: What residents of Hawaii miss while being at someplace else

A restaurant called Hula Girl opened in Melbourne,Fl. this month. I went and looked at the menu and asked the Girl Server where the Spam and Rice were? She said "Euw....Spam is so unhealthy for you !!!" They did have it but didn't know how to fry it right Where are Zippy's-L and L when you really need them.......Auwe,Kouko

Never a resident of Hawaii but I miss Kelly O'Neils pub on Lewars. I miss the International market. The barefoot bar. The tourists 'round Duke's statue. Most of all I miss the climate and especially the lovely people.

It's very cold here now in England and it's 10.45 a.m. with the sleet battering against my windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Kouko View Post
    A restaurant called Hula Girl opened in Melbourne,Fl. this month. I went and looked at the menu and asked the Girl Server where the Spam and Rice were? She said "Euw....Spam is so unhealthy for you !!!" They did have it but didn't know how to fry it right Where are Zippy's-L and L when you really need them.......Auwe,Kouko

Perhaps you know this ? Spam was invented only 10 miles away from me in a place called Birkenhead/UK.

It was invented during world war two as cheap alternative to meat and means:-

Specialy Processed Artificial Meat

I don't like the stuff. As kids we were brought up on it,,,, YUK.

Now a tin of spam is quite expensive here.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Specialy Processed Artificial Meat

Oh. It's not Squirrels, Possoms, And Mice!?

I just got back from 2 weeks in San Francisco (not long enough) and 10 days
    in St. Paul MN vicinity. I can say that whenever I go anywhere I miss the
    humidity! I hate feeling all tight and dry on my face, arms, legs and moisturize
    constantly. I also really miss Nalo Greens and MA'O Farms greens and produce, Kula strawberries and things like that from the KCC Farmer's Market.
    Looking forward to Saturday to stock up!

Quote Originally Posted by leashlaws View Post
    I can say that whenever I go anywhere I miss the humidity! I hate feeling all tight and dry on my face, arms, legs and moisturize constantly.
    OMG! The dryness is killing me!! I've been in CA for a few weeks now, and my skin hates me! The first week I was here, my face skin cracked and itched, then flaked off. I looked awful. I had a hard time breathing, even. My lips are all cracked and chapped, and I've gone thru a few chap stics. I miss Hawaii soooooo much!

Quote Originally Posted by turtlegirl View Post
    OMG! The dryness is killing me!! I've been in CA for a few weeks now, and my skin hates me! The first week I was here, my face skin cracked and itched, then flaked off. I looked awful. I had a hard time breathing, even. My lips are all cracked and chapped, and I've gone thru a few chap stics. I miss Hawaii soooooo much!
    You know what works really well on your face? I use it all the time when I have to visit Chicago or anywhere over there. It's called Mustela and it's
    baby products. The thing I really like is this little tube (well actually more
    like a deodorant looking packaging) of hydrating cream that you just 'roll'
    across your face. It WORKS!!!!!! It has a pleasant smell too. They also make a package of wipes for the face that I find terrific first thing in the morning to
    re-moisturize after my night moisture. Try Bobbie Brown Hydrating Cream
    that stuff is awesome too! Good luck, stay moist and have fun! Leash

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Oh. It's not Squirrels, Possoms, And Mice!?
    Yummy!
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Over here it'd be Squirrels, Possoms, And Moose.

Everything.

Except maybe the roaches.

living in sin in kaimuki w/mixedplatebroker

given that every time i've visited my mom in portland, it was holiday season except for the one time i visited her in september, the thing i missed about hawaii was SUN.

given that there have been two times i went solo to portland, what i missed most about hawaii was ERIC

given my last trip to manila, which was during monsoon season, i missed TRADEWINDS. that and american-style public toilets with seats and paper seat covers/toilet paper you didn't need to pay for (most public toilets there have vending machines for you to buy TP since most people bring their own packets).

i didn't really miss that much about hawaii every time we visited vegas bcs (1) eric was always with me and (2) the trips were always a week-long or less and (3) it's the 9th island, after all, so at least i could go to the california hotel for oxtail soup while surrounded by people speaking pidgin and giving each other the "howzit" nod!
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

That happened when we first moved back. I was putting lotion on like whoa. And my nose kept bleeding. Keep on with the lotion and chapstick and you'll eventually get adjusted again. Sorry!

What do I miss?
    -Palm trees
    -The other trees (Umbrella? Banyon? Plumeria? All of them!)
    -Shooting out of the tunnel on the H-3 and seeing Kaneohe Bay on the left
    -That wind
    -Sand
    -The beach
    -The Pacific Ocean
    -Boogie Boarding
    -My friends
    -Hiking
    -Mountains
    -Stumbling across honu and monk seals sunning on a beach on the North Shore
    -Singing drunk Karaoke at my neighbor's house
    -Watching subs and boats come into Pearl Harbor
    -Rainbows
    -Seeing fighter jets while eating breakfast
    -Cheeseburger in Paradise
    -Meandering along downtown, watching the crowds
    -Driving along Kam Hwy with TG, singing at the top of our lungs
    -Stopping at Dole to pee on the way up to North Shore
    -Pineapple Soft Serve
    -Macademia Nuts
    -Don Quijote's
    -Finding new, awesome places to sit/hang/hike/chill
    -Tantalus Rd.
    -Climbing trees at Pu'u Ualaka'a State Wayside
    -Sailing
    -Swimming in water that isn't cholorinated
    -The great selection of junk at Long's
    -Awesome flops
    -The monorail at Pearl Ridge Mall
    -Having to stop and sound everything out in my mind before I say it
    -Pali Lookout
    -Having the car packed and setting out, wondering what adventures that day would bring
    -Fresh pineapple
    -The Aloha Bowl swap meet
    -Getting lost in the Ala Moana Mall parking lot (and dancing in the fountains in the mall itself after it's closed)
    -Outlet mall at Waikele
    -Big City Diner
    -Yummy Italian place in Kailua
    -Sitting at Sandy's Beach and watching the tourists get pummled by waves
    -Hearing my drunk next-door neighbor Hee-Haw playing horseshoes until 3am
    -Falling asleep to the sound of the ocean
    -Not having to dial an area code to make a local call
    -Getting to eat local food
    -Meeting interesting people from all different places/learning new cultures
    -Getting a new car every month
    -My beach house
    -The snails in my front yard
    -NO SNAKES
    -Trying to catch a glimpse of the elusive mongeese
    -Motsumoto's!
    -Bob's Pizza
    -Being able to buy chopsticks anywhere
    -Variety of soy sauces
    -Arare
    -Running for a sweatshirt if the temp dipped down to 78 degrees
    -Halloween Block Party in Chinatown
    -Being able to wear comfy shorts and a T-shirt EVERYWHERE and not being under-dressed
    -Dole Cannery Theater
    -Lounging in my deck chair reading on the beach in my backyard
    -The Hygienic Store
    -Trying to see the Stairway to Heaven while driving down the H-3
    -Francis (TG's dashboard turtle)
    -25 ft waves at Waimea Bay
    -Eddie Would Go bumper stickers
    -Even the nasty beach bathrooms....sort of

Yeah, I think that about covers it!

Can't think of anything creative this time

I miss the climate. Late 70s to mid/late 80s with tradewinds is perfection, in my opinion. I would go outside and walk and exercise a lot more than I do now. I miss that fitness came so easily, too!

I miss the beaches. Even the best beaches on the east coast can't compare to the worst (haha -- if there is such a thing!) of Hawaii. Of course, before I moved years ago, I thought I'd be at the beach every day, which I wasn't; but I hope to be able to go to the beach daily if/when I return long term, even if its 15 minutes a day.

I miss the people. For the most part, I find the people of Hawaii to be very polite, mellow, and friendly -- especially when compared to what I'm used to. As a first-time adult resident, it took me a few months just to learn how to make friends (it sounds silly, but I was young), but once I got the hang of it, I felt that I was truly in my element.

Knowing what I know now, I believe I'd enjoy much more of what Hawaii has to offer if/when I come back.
    Last edited by Vanguard; July 12th, 2009 at 01:57 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast