X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What residents of Hawaii miss while being at someplace else

Originally posted by Barry View Post
    Specialy Processed Artificial Meat

Oh. It's not Squirrels, Possoms, And Mice!?
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

I just got back from 2 weeks in San Francisco (not long enough) and 10 days
      in St. Paul MN vicinity. I can say that whenever I go anywhere I miss the
      humidity! I hate feeling all tight and dry on my face, arms, legs and moisturize
      constantly. I also really miss Nalo Greens and MA'O Farms greens and produce, Kula strawberries and things like that from the KCC Farmer's Market.
      Looking forward to Saturday to stock up!

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
        I can say that whenever I go anywhere I miss the humidity! I hate feeling all tight and dry on my face, arms, legs and moisturize constantly.
        OMG! The dryness is killing me!! I've been in CA for a few weeks now, and my skin hates me! The first week I was here, my face skin cracked and itched, then flaked off. I looked awful. I had a hard time breathing, even. My lips are all cracked and chapped, and I've gone thru a few chap stics. I miss Hawaii soooooo much!
        ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
          OMG! The dryness is killing me!! I've been in CA for a few weeks now, and my skin hates me! The first week I was here, my face skin cracked and itched, then flaked off. I looked awful. I had a hard time breathing, even. My lips are all cracked and chapped, and I've gone thru a few chap stics. I miss Hawaii soooooo much!
          You know what works really well on your face? I use it all the time when I have to visit Chicago or anywhere over there. It's called Mustela and it's
          baby products. The thing I really like is this little tube (well actually more
          like a deodorant looking packaging) of hydrating cream that you just 'roll'
          across your face. It WORKS!!!!!! It has a pleasant smell too. They also make a package of wipes for the face that I find terrific first thing in the morning to
          re-moisturize after my night moisture. Try Bobbie Brown Hydrating Cream
          that stuff is awesome too! Good luck, stay moist and have fun! Leash

Comment

Oh. It's not Squirrels, Possoms, And Mice!?
            Yummy!
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Over here it'd be Squirrels, Possoms, And Moose.

Comment

Everything.

Except maybe the roaches.
                http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

given that every time i've visited my mom in portland, it was holiday season except for the one time i visited her in september, the thing i missed about hawaii was SUN.

given that there have been two times i went solo to portland, what i missed most about hawaii was ERIC

given my last trip to manila, which was during monsoon season, i missed TRADEWINDS. that and american-style public toilets with seats and paper seat covers/toilet paper you didn't need to pay for (most public toilets there have vending machines for you to buy TP since most people bring their own packets).

i didn't really miss that much about hawaii every time we visited vegas bcs (1) eric was always with me and (2) the trips were always a week-long or less and (3) it's the 9th island, after all, so at least i could go to the california hotel for oxtail soup while surrounded by people speaking pidgin and giving each other the "howzit" nod!
                  superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

That happened when we first moved back. I was putting lotion on like whoa. And my nose kept bleeding. Keep on with the lotion and chapstick and you'll eventually get adjusted again. Sorry!

What do I miss?
                    -Palm trees
                    -The other trees (Umbrella? Banyon? Plumeria? All of them!)
                    -Shooting out of the tunnel on the H-3 and seeing Kaneohe Bay on the left
                    -That wind
                    -Sand
                    -The beach
                    -The Pacific Ocean
                    -Boogie Boarding
                    -My friends
                    -Hiking
                    -Mountains
                    -Stumbling across honu and monk seals sunning on a beach on the North Shore
                    -Singing drunk Karaoke at my neighbor's house
                    -Watching subs and boats come into Pearl Harbor
                    -Rainbows
                    -Seeing fighter jets while eating breakfast
                    -Cheeseburger in Paradise
                    -Meandering along downtown, watching the crowds
                    -Driving along Kam Hwy with TG, singing at the top of our lungs
                    -Stopping at Dole to pee on the way up to North Shore
                    -Pineapple Soft Serve
                    -Macademia Nuts
                    -Don Quijote's
                    -Finding new, awesome places to sit/hang/hike/chill
                    -Tantalus Rd.
                    -Climbing trees at Pu'u Ualaka'a State Wayside
                    -Sailing
                    -Swimming in water that isn't cholorinated
                    -The great selection of junk at Long's
                    -Awesome flops
                    -The monorail at Pearl Ridge Mall
                    -Having to stop and sound everything out in my mind before I say it
                    -Pali Lookout
                    -Having the car packed and setting out, wondering what adventures that day would bring
                    -Fresh pineapple
                    -The Aloha Bowl swap meet
                    -Getting lost in the Ala Moana Mall parking lot (and dancing in the fountains in the mall itself after it's closed)
                    -Outlet mall at Waikele
                    -Big City Diner
                    -Yummy Italian place in Kailua
                    -Sitting at Sandy's Beach and watching the tourists get pummled by waves
                    -Hearing my drunk next-door neighbor Hee-Haw playing horseshoes until 3am
                    -Falling asleep to the sound of the ocean
                    -Not having to dial an area code to make a local call
                    -Getting to eat local food
                    -Meeting interesting people from all different places/learning new cultures
                    -Getting a new car every month
                    -My beach house
                    -The snails in my front yard
                    -NO SNAKES
                    -Trying to catch a glimpse of the elusive mongeese
                    -Motsumoto's!
                    -Bob's Pizza
                    -Being able to buy chopsticks anywhere
                    -Variety of soy sauces
                    -Arare
                    -Running for a sweatshirt if the temp dipped down to 78 degrees
                    -Halloween Block Party in Chinatown
                    -Being able to wear comfy shorts and a T-shirt EVERYWHERE and not being under-dressed
                    -Dole Cannery Theater
                    -Lounging in my deck chair reading on the beach in my backyard
                    -The Hygienic Store
                    -Trying to see the Stairway to Heaven while driving down the H-3
                    -Francis (TG's dashboard turtle)
                    -25 ft waves at Waimea Bay
                    -Eddie Would Go bumper stickers
                    -Even the nasty beach bathrooms....sort of

Yeah, I think that about covers it!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

I miss the climate. Late 70s to mid/late 80s with tradewinds is perfection, in my opinion. I would go outside and walk and exercise a lot more than I do now. I miss that fitness came so easily, too!

I miss the beaches. Even the best beaches on the east coast can't compare to the worst (haha -- if there is such a thing!) of Hawaii. Of course, before I moved years ago, I thought I'd be at the beach every day, which I wasn't; but I hope to be able to go to the beach daily if/when I return long term, even if its 15 minutes a day.

I miss the people. For the most part, I find the people of Hawaii to be very polite, mellow, and friendly -- especially when compared to what I'm used to. As a first-time adult resident, it took me a few months just to learn how to make friends (it sounds silly, but I was young), but once I got the hang of it, I felt that I was truly in my element.

Knowing what I know now, I believe I'd enjoy much more of what Hawaii has to offer if/when I come back.
                      Last edited by Vanguard; July 12, 2009, 01:57 AM.

Comment

surlygirl, i want to give you a really big cyber hug for that absolutely charming post. i hadn't known until reading this post that you really didn't want to come here and that, after your experiences, you really didn't want to leave. i hope you are able to come back sooner than you think.
                        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Felt the same way when I moved to Mountain Home Idaho. The first few months totally sucked big time. But after appreciating what that small town had to offer (it was a small town back in 1979) and hooking up with a few locals there, I enjoyed my time there so much that after almost 4-years of living there I had this apprehension of moving away from it...to of all places back home in Hawaii.

If you let the area grow on you instead of trying to kill it off, you'll have an appreciation for anywhere. Mountain Home was no paradise and far from the beauty of Hawaii, but it had something to offer that made me a more complete person.

Because of that I embrace that motto: Home is where you hang your hat.
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                            surlygirl, i want to give you a really big cyber hug for that absolutely charming post. i hadn't known until reading this post that you really didn't want to come here and that, after your experiences, you really didn't want to leave. i hope you are able to come back sooner than you think.
                            Thank you, Cyn. I really needed that hug.

Being able to post here and read all the day-to-day makes me feel closer and it helps. A lot. I'm having a horrible time finding a job right now and don't have the tuition money to finish my last semester of school, so things are kinda grim around here. It's so nice to be able to come here and just decompress for a while.

Comment

SG - I hope you can accept a "hug" from me too. I didn't really appreciate what you went through in coming here and just thought you were one of those arrogant mainland folks who just didn't "get it". Seems you did get it after all. Hopefully, you can come back someday.
                              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Hugs are always accepted! Looking back, I can see how I might have come off as arrogant mainlander. I apoligize for that.

Comment

Working...
                                X