What residents of Hawaii miss while being at someplace else

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What residents of Hawaii miss while being at someplace else

Inspired by this post on this thread, we can discuss or list that things that State of Hawaii residents miss while traveling or living out of the state of Hawaii.

Originally posted by Slick View Post
    I'm a happy hawaii import goin' on 34 years now. But when I go mainland, I probably whine a lot.

Got any of your own?
    For myself I don't travel often but I did go to Nevada last month and some of the things that floored me were:

You mean they serve macroni and cheese at the KFC here
    I should not cut thru the shrubs, their might be snakes in them
    Look at the choo-choo train
    Sand Storm
    Eating fired rice at a chinese bistro (the menu did say fired rice not fried rice)
    $2.50 for a can of Mountain Dew (to be honest that was at the San Franiscso airport on the way home).

Re: What residents of Hawaii miss while being at someplace else

Water that's warm enough to swim in, all year round!!
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

A warm ocean to enjoy.

We have shortened 2 different vacations. Begging airlines to let us come home early without extra charges.

When I am not here, I miss being home, terribly.
      FutureNewsNetwork.com
      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

The mana...it's unique.

Comment

Nothing

I'm always here and not leaving.
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            The mana...it's unique.
            yes, that's why we're moving to the big island. sorry, tim, we're tired of the ocean and long to be in the forest with its spirituality, serenity and peacefulness (sp). no, we won't be neighbors. we're moving to puna should the purchase materialize. flying up next wednesday for the home inspection.
            "chaos reigns within.
            reflect, repent and reboot.
            order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

When I'm on the Mainland I miss surfing-- let alone good surfing.

I get awful tired of hearing [insert your favorite regional accent] "All y'all are from Hawayuh and yer vacationin' hee-yer?!?"

Right up there with [pick another gum-smacking regional accent] "Really? I went ta Wacky-wacky ## years ago on ma furst honeymoon an' lemme tell yew..."

Our kid claims to miss rice and all things li hing mui, but she makes do with french fries and chocolate.

I don't miss anything else but I'll point out some things to our kid that you can't get in Hawaii: "Look, honey, squirrels! Chipmunks! Autumn leaves! Morning fog! 65 mph speed limits with 25 miles of traffic jams!!"
              Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
              Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
              We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
              Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

The food, the beaches, and the beach parks. But I have heard that the beaches and parks are not safe anymore with all the druggies and homeless there.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                  I don't miss anything else but I'll point out some things to our kid that you can't get in Hawaii: "Look, honey, squirrels! "

I was on the mainland for two weeks and did not see a single squirrel. I was highly disappointed.

I don't think I've been living here long enough to add anything to this list. I've only gone off-island once and I was too busy to miss anything other than my bed.
                  Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                  Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Originally posted by sophielynette View Post
                    I was on the mainland for two weeks and did not see a single squirrel. I was highly disappointed.
                    Me, too, SL. Went to the West Coast and to the East Coast, saw some pretty mountains and lots of rain and cloudy skies, hugged ohana and could not wait to get off the plane in Honolulu!!

Guess I'm really home now...get homesick for O`ahu! It was great to put the coat and long sleeve sweaters away.

(We looked hard for wildlife on the mainland to no avail. Saw ducks and a swan, though.)

I loved the list Slick gave on TG's thread...made me laugh!!

Comment

Here in Virginia Beach, VA there are a couple of so called "hawaiian restaurants" and they try to be like L & L or Zippys but they can't and also the prices are expensive. My husband and I went to this restaurant called "Ohanas" and the guy who opened it is from the Windward side but shoots he make the prices expensive... katsu $10 compared to L & L which is like $5. I don't know but after that experience we never went back.

Comment

We long to visit Hawaii and live on the ultimate island. We are Long Islanders and of course, there are plenty of Hawaiian wanna-bes on this island. Although we enjoy the luaus and had a few of our own, we never visited Hawaii. I even remember a place called the Bali Hai where my parents used to take me for occasions when I was little. We are trying to plan a honeymoon to Hawaii for our tenth anniversary and if we could relocate there we would be the happiest couple in the world! Meanwhile, I'll be wearing flowers in my hair, sipping tropical drinks and having Kona coffee in the morning...

Comment

A restaurant called Hula Girl opened in Melbourne,Fl. this month. I went and looked at the menu and asked the Girl Server where the Spam and Rice were? She said "Euw....Spam is so unhealthy for you !!!" They did have it but didn't know how to fry it right Where are Zippy's-L and L when you really need them.......Auwe,Kouko

Comment

Never a resident of Hawaii but I miss Kelly O'Neils pub on Lewars. I miss the International market. The barefoot bar. The tourists 'round Duke's statue. Most of all I miss the climate and especially the lovely people.

It's very cold here now in England and it's 10.45 a.m. with the sleet battering against my windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Kouko View Post
                              A restaurant called Hula Girl opened in Melbourne,Fl. this month. I went and looked at the menu and asked the Girl Server where the Spam and Rice were? She said "Euw....Spam is so unhealthy for you !!!" They did have it but didn't know how to fry it right Where are Zippy's-L and L when you really need them.......Auwe,Kouko

Perhaps you know this ? Spam was invented only 10 miles away from me in a place called Birkenhead/UK.

It was invented during world war two as cheap alternative to meat and means:-

Specialy Processed Artificial Meat

I don't like the stuff. As kids we were brought up on it,,,, YUK.

Now a tin of spam is quite expensive here.

Comment

Working...
                              X