Talkin' about Lawns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Talkin' about Lawns

My backyard is a friggin disaster! Before I moved in the house was dormant for nearly a year and my zoysia grass got completely infested with clover and a bunch of other weeds. Once weeds get a foothold in thick zoysia I've found you are pretty much screwed because the roots of the weeds get completely intertwined with the grass roots and you can never pull them out.

Front yard is a dream though, it's like laying on thick carpet
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
      I got a nice lawn. About 11,000 sf, manicured like St. Andrews, mowed with diligence and tender loving care. I spend a lot of time on it......But the point of this thread is that beautiful, manicured, high&tight, groomed, well cut, lawn.
      I'm enjoying this lawn love... Tim, please tell what kind lawn you have there? Marathon sod, Zoysia, Kentucky Bluegrass? I don't know what the red Hawaiian soil likes best. What should I expect, and do you spend a lot of time caring for your beautiful lawn? Photos? please?

I myself enjoy the cushy feel of St. Augustine, and how mine takes off and runs into my neighbor's dirt and weed yard. Now he has a better lawn than I do, all for no work or money. It likes a regular watering cycle, and a periodic de-thatching. I make him water his own, lol. I love my lawn.

Comment

Couldnt tell ya. Dont really know. I just mow it, and feed it, and play on it.

Probably a combination of crab, centipede, kentucky bl., zoysia, and Wal-Mart Fast Lawn. But mostly fast lawn.

It's too tall now. And needs a good mowing.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

No yard here at the condo, but recent landscaping efforts with Hawaiian native plants are lookin' good! Love the unfurling fern trees, and now the plugs of grass are finally filling in a few nice spots.

We go down to the beach park to wallow in the grass.

One of my dad's fave things was to drive the lawnmower/tractor every week over his large yard in SC, and he did not allow anyone else to do it without plenty of instructions!

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
            One of my dad's fave things was to drive the lawnmower/tractor every week over his large yard in SC, and he did not allow anyone else to do it without plenty of instructions!
            Oooooo! I love those riding lawn mowers. Dangerous, but FUN. Used to have an orchard in Amish country that needed mowing with one. Cows mowed the other "yard."

Just happy to have a perky Craftsman I can still push around when the kids don't do the job. I'm picky about my lawn. It's not too special, except to me.

BBQ season's coming. California= two seasons, summer or winter. And winter's going to be over soon enough. Fast Lawn, huh, Tim? I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

I have a nice yard back in Texas. We have a corner lot, so there's extra room for the pups to run around. The side by the street is fenced in too, and that part is sloped for drainage, since we live 200 yards away from Lake Lewisville (no view though. We had a free one for a year until they built houses on the empty lots). I have a hammock that I love to hang out in and read or talk on the phone. Some nights, Jason and I will squish in there together and check out the stars.

I tried to get a nice front garden going, but the dem rabbits ate them all! This summer, I'm going to fence off a tiny section of the backyard and plant some rosebushes and I'm bargining with Jason for a small pond...with a turtle. But I have to get all A's in Summer Session I or no Honu!

Here...well, this is my backyard. And God does a great job of keeping it up for me!
              Attached Files

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

This is my backyard....

It looks nicer in the front, but I don't want to post public pictures of the front of my house.

I tried maintaining a nice lawn, but it was just too much work. I gave up and went with this stuff called Synlawn. It's basically very realistic-looking fake grass. It's a little spendy and you have to get it professionally installed, but it's so realistic, most people don't realize it's fake even when they're walking on it. (It's cushioned like a real lawn.) Even when they get on their hands and knees and look at it up close, they still have a hard time believing it. It's only until you feel it with your hands can you tell it's not real grass.

I know it's cheating, but I love it. It always looks perfect and it's zero maintenance. I don't ever water, cut or weed it. I neglect it completely and it always looks beautiful.
                Last edited by zff; January 27, 2009, 07:56 AM.

Comment

When we moved into our "dream home" in Kahalu`u our front yard was Nissei-style - coral gravel 2" deep with a central raised rock-garden with one bonsai tree.

We worked for months - did it all ourselves - shoveled the coral out, shoveled topsoil in and plugged "Emerald Green" Zoysia. A joy to walk on.
                  Replaced the bonsai with Hawn. tree fern & other ferns.

The whole property is over an acre, some of it almost vertical. In the back it's planted with trees (Monkeypod, Kukui, Coconut, Austrailian tree fern), fruit trees (Mac nut, lychee, avocado, starfruit, orange, lime, lemon, jabong, fig, `ohia `ai {mountain apple}), tropical flowers too many to name, and wherever we don't tend - jungle. Machete required.
                  Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                  ~ ~
                  Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                  Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                  Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
                    This is my backyard....

It looks nicer in the front, but I don't want to post public pictures of the front of my house.

I tried maintaining a nice lawn, but it was just too much work. I gave up and went with this stuff called Synlawn. It's basically very realistic-looking fake grass. It's a little spendy and you have to get it professionally installed, but it's so realistic, most people don't realize it's fake even when they're walking on it. (It's cushioned like a real lawn.) Even when they get on their hands and knees and look at it up close, they still have a hard time believing it. It's only until you feel it with your hands can you tell it's not real grass.

I know it's cheating, but I love it. It always looks perfect and it's zero maintenance. I don't ever water, cut or weed it. I neglect it completely and it always looks beautiful.
                    SWEEEEEEEET!! Love seeing the pups enjoying it too. I love a real lawn, but hey, sometimes it's either not an option or a pain in the butt to maintain. BTW, the rest of your yard looks awesome too. It's only January, but I am so stoked on getting my backyard fixed up.

That lawn must have cost a bunch. However, in the long run, savings on water, chemicals, and other costs.... well, plus the eco-frindly aspects. Hmmm. Gotta wonder if my pitbull would wreck it... she loves to chew any plastic-type stuffs. Maybe the smell of it? You just hose off the dog dookie residues, yeah?

Fab. Thanks for sharing this. Oh, please, give a peek at the front yard, taken cautiously? Promise not to come over...

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                      When we moved into our "dream home" in Kahalu`u our front yard was Nissei-style - coral gravel 2" deep with a central raised rock-garden with one bonsai tree.

We worked for months - did it all ourselves - shoveled the coral out, shoveled topsoil in and plugged "Emerald Green" Zoysia. A joy to walk on.
                      Replaced the bonsai with Hawn. tree fern & other ferns.

The whole property is over an acre, some of it almost vertical. In the back it's planted with trees (Monkeypod, Kukui, Coconut, Austrailian tree fern), fruit trees (Mac nut, lychee, avocado, starfruit, orange, lime, lemon, jabong, fig, `ohia `ai {mountain apple}), tropical flowers too many to name, and wherever we don't tend - jungle. Machete required.
                      Hi, Kaonohi,

Is this the same house you put a photo of in the Photo-sharing thread? Those three photos that you uploaded, man, I mean.... WOW! I couldn't get over how great they were, and especially the one of the house taken against the mountains... simply to die for!

As I am crazy about fruit trees and tropical gardens... would you be so kind as to share a few (OK, I meant, a lot) photos of your backyard, either here or on the other thread? I'm sure more than just me would love to see it! That was a real treat to see the front of the house. Thanks for sharing with us. Or you could PM me? Mahalo!

Comment

Anyone have a suggestion on how to get rid of the green sticky weeds???? We used to call them Klingon's when I was young.
                        It's the one that's like a ground vine and the buds stick to everything that touches it.
                        I've tried pulling them out, but it just brakes off before the roots pull up.

Comment

Originally posted by abunaitoo View Post
                          Anyone have a suggestion on how to get rid of the green sticky weeds???? We used to call them Klingon's when I was young.
                          It's the one that's like a ground vine and the buds stick to everything that touches it.
                          I've tried pulling them out, but it just brakes off before the roots pull up.
                          The ones that have the tiny yellow flowers? Leaves sometimes look like it's a tiny four-leaf clover? I hate those! I used to wear socks a long time ago, and they stick to 'em, and you can never get them out, even in the washer.

I take a pointy old kitchen knife, and dig & pry them from the ground. Push the knife stright in, wiggle it around some, and pull. Should work for you. You could use Round-Up spray, if you were careful. Those are very bad stickers to get on the dog's fur. Could be dangerous too, like a foxtail is to a dog?

I usually leave all the weeds in my lawn, as it holds it together, in a way, but as soon as those stickers appear, I hand pick them off. I'm sure there is an herbacide for it. I believe it's called Oxalis?

Comment

I think you are referring to Desmodium. Aka, Hitchhikers.

Pulling the plant is the only way I know of to control it.
                            FutureNewsNetwork.com
                            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                              I think you are referring to Desmodium. Aka, Hitchhikers.

Pulling the plant is the only way I know of to control it.
                              YES, and that post reminded me to go out to my lawn and garden, while there's a break in our rainy weather, to pull out those nasty hitchhikers. I am plagued by some chamomile type weed as well. At least there are no stickers on that weed.

Comment

The one I have doesn't have any flowers on it. It's like a vine that grows along the ground. It's all green. The stickys look like little flower buds.
                                Anyone know of a spray that will kill it without hurting the grass?????

Comment

Working...
                                X