Hickam AFB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hickam AFB

Hello all! been forever since i have posted anything here. anyway, here is a brief background.

about a year or so ago, i was planning on moving to the islands, however since then things have happened and I have joined the air force, stationed here at robins afb in georgia.

Anyway, after what seems like a long time at basic training/tech school, i found that i have some leave saved up and plan to take some leave to head home soon, but I want to stop by hickam AFB for a few days first... so here's my question. it's aimed mostly at my fellow military stationed there, but any input is welcome.

1. How would i go about taking a hop there? i heard about it from my shop NCO, but dont know too much about how it works, and he wasnt really able to tell me much more.

2. What is the going rate for the inns at hickam? and would there be any other options for staying out there?

3. and finally, some ideas on what i'd ABSOLUTELY have to see if i came out for a few days would be good. i dont plan on leaving till december, but i'd like to have this all planned out in advance if i can.

Re: Hickam AFB

Even as dependents, we were often able to make hops space-a on MATS and MAC, but dunno how strict they are now that the command is AMC. The Air Force had a slight problem with homeless vets using Hickam as their post-office drop, and flying everywhere on Uncle Sugar's dime.

1. As AF personnel, you might qualify for space-a. But there aren't nearly as many flights as there used to be. You might have better luck deadheading with a Guard unit.

2. Hickam has (or had) a BEQ or transiting billet.

3. Do the Pearl Harbor thing, which will take all day and include four museums. And then get off base and hit Waikiki. There's a direct bus route.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by muscleman522 View Post
      1. How would i go about taking a hop there? i heard about it from my shop NCO, but dont know too much about how it works, and he wasnt really able to tell me much more.
      Talk to the AMC passenger terminal nearest you and see what flights they have to Hickam. They might go direct or through another base. The problem is that if the "another base" is just a fuel stop or cargo change then you're a through passenger. But if the flight terminates at the other base and a new mission/new crew comes out to take the plane to Hickam then you're starting over as a new passenger and competing with everyone at the other base who's been waiting longer than you.

So it's great to get an Air National Guard direct flight to Hickam for a mission or an exercise. But it's not so great to get hung up at Travis AFB for a week trying to continue your journey.

2. What is the going rate for the inns at hickam? and would there be any other options for staying out there?
      If you tap out on Hickam, try the quarters on Pearl Harbor Naval Base, Kaneohe Marine Corps Air Station, the Navy Lodge on Ford Island, or one of the recreation centers like Waianae or Bellows. You could also try the Hale Koa Hotel. But these places are scattered all over the island and may or may not be near where you really want to go. Hale Koa is, of course, a lot more expensive than the onbase quarters.

3. and finally, some ideas on what i'd ABSOLUTELY have to see if i came out for a few days would be good. i dont plan on leaving till december, but i'd like to have this all planned out in advance if i can.
      That's a really hard question to answer. One of the pitfalls for us residents is to tell you about great military museums or Waikiki nightlife or Ala Moana shopping or North Shore surfing... only to find out that your idea of a great Hawaii trip is camping at Bellows.

So give us an idea what looks good from the list at http://www.101thingstodo.com/hawaii/oahu/index.php and we can offer more suggestions along those lines.

Depending how flexible your chain of command is, you might want to look into the cost of having to fly home commercial if the hops aren't getting you back in time. December is high season and the commercial airlines wouldn't be doing you any last-minute favors...
      Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
      Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
      We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
      Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

hey thanks you all for your posts... Im in the process of checking out the terminal here on base looking into maybe a flight to keesler or some base where id have a better chance of catching a hop without getting bumped... if all else fails though i could go next year, or just get a multi-dest. ticket from a commercial airline.

Comment

... or just get a multi-dest. ticket from a commercial airline.
          Cheap career insurance.

Hopping back is a lot less stressful when you have two extra weeks.
          Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
          Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
          We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
          Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Working...
          X