Moller Skycar

Re: Skycars!

Need a pretty big parking space.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

According to the M400 Specifications it has a range of 750 miles and a cruise speed of 305 mph.

This thing could fly with in the state with no problem.

Comment

Where's his dog Elroy, and Jane his wife?

Comment

I seriously remember seeing stuff on this like 10years ago. He has never been able to "fly" it, due to insurance reasons, and can not get a license for it. The only "flight" was tethered to a crane...I wish we had things like this, but imagine the people that can barley drive on the surface, flying through the air...
          flickr

An email from God:
          To: People of Earth
          Date: 9/04/2007
          Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
          God

Comment

Only the rich get helicopters, flying cars, and private planes. Our government doesn't want or trust the average 9-5 Joe to be able to fly. You can't trust him because he ain't rich and rich = good, reliable person in their opinion.

Comment

Yep, the Moller sky car is old news. It's been in development for years. And it's one of those things that keep claiming, "Coming soon!"

Imagine a drunk driver coming crashing through your roof!

Comment

I know a guy where a drunk driver came crashing through his wall. What's the diff?

Comment

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
                  I know a guy where a drunk driver came crashing through his wall. What's the diff?
                  The difference is that at ground level there's usually a curb, stone wall, fence or other obstacles to slow down a car before they can actually whack your house.

I remember a family who lived on a corner up the street from where we were. They had a big mango tree in the yard. They were planning to get rid of it and then wham! A car missed the turn at high speed in the middle of the night, and plows right into it. Saved the husband and wife who were asleep in the bedroom adjacent to the old tree.

They decided to keep the tree.

Comment

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
                    Only the rich get helicopters, flying cars, and private planes. Our government doesn't want or trust the average 9-5 Joe to be able to fly. You can't trust him because he ain't rich and rich = good, reliable person in their opinion.
                    http://www.usppa.org/
                    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Imagine if there were hundreds or thousands of those skycars flying around.

There would be a few mid-air collisions where everyone dies. At least on the road there's a very good chance of survival. But a mid-air is always fatal unless there's an ejection seat system. Engine failures might mean skycars going down in the Koolaus or offshore, and search-and-rescue would spend a lot more time looking for possible survivors.

There would be occasional collisions into buildings, mountainsides and valley walls.

If you thought teenagers taking their parents car for a joyride is bad on the highways at 90 mph, think about what it would be like having the same thing happen overhead at 300 mph (three times faster than a helicopter)!

Seeing how the general public drives, and knowing the discipline it takes to get a pilot's license, I wouldn't be in favor of the flying car becoming commonplace. Not unless there's some really whiz-bang technology incorporated to prevent mishaps.

Comment

How about Harry Potter riding his stick?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                          How about Harry Potter riding his stick?
                          While that might seem like a flippant comment you have a point.

There is some talk about personal flight. The powered paragliders being a really interesting one for recreation. Not perfectly foolproof. Nothing is. But it's got a built-in safety feature: a parachute that's always deployed!

Then there's computer-controlled ducted-fan solo aircraft. Something like a jet pack but using shrouded multi-bladed propellers.

Because they're a lot lighter than a flying car and much slower, it wouldn't be nearly as bad if something like that crashes into a house. Maybe damage some of the roofing. Or maybe mangle some poor unfortunate soul who happens to be in the exact wrong spot at the wrong time.

Other than that, the pilot's not going to take out anyone else except himself.

I love flying. But it got way too expensive. Along the way I learned how serious it can be, and how far out of reach it is for a lot of people. Not because of cost, but because it takes a great deal more awareness to stay safe in a 3D space.

If GPS technology can be integrated into the mix with various fail-safe computer features, all this might become a reality.

Comment

http://specials.msn.com/A-List/Lifes...entid=29402972

No need rail then.

Comment

Someday it could be like this.

The Jetsons by afled, on Flickr
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X