This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Voting: 2008

My husband and I went to Honolulu Hale yesterday and cast our ballots, opting for paper over electronic. We got there about 2 p.m. and we were through my 2:20 or so. Easy in, easy out.

This is my thinking: On election day, we hear all about the returns across the country from the time we wake. For once I wanted to not have that going on in the background while I worked through the day and then went to the polls. I also thought how great it would be to have my ballot counted as part of the first printout of the evening in Hawaii.

I think we should expect Hawaii to generate a great turnout this election year because of the presidential race and because of rail. Eh, no vote, no complain!

I would encourage you to consider early voting and having a relaxing Nov. 4, 2008.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Re: Early Voting: 2008

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
    [...]
    I would encourage you to consider early voting and having a relaxing Nov. 4, 2008.
    I know many people who like the energy generated at the polls on election day and don't want to miss that. Not me!!! For voting purposes, I'll take the comfort of my sofa...or the beach!...any day. I voted absentee and mailed my ballot earlier this week...and included a few grains of sand!

Comment

Matapule voted absentee last week. This is the most interesting campaign since Kennedy/Nixon.
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

My daughter and I are both poll workers and so we voted yesterday, because you can't on election day. We went to the Aiea Mall voting center, and were in and out in just a few minutes. It was all electronic.
        Burl Burlingame
        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Voted absentee already as well because I will be working on election day but I also like to make sure I get it out of the way in case anything unexpected arises that may prevent me from voting on Nov. 4.

Comment

there's another site at uh, on the 2nd floor of the campus center; very easy; took only a few minutes and no lines
            525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
              there's another site at uh, on the 2nd floor of the campus center; very easy; took only a few minutes and no lines
              I would not recommend this site if you are suspicious of electronic voting. University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa’s Campus Center site does not offer paper ballot voting. In fact, it does not even have an official HartIntercivic receptacle for paper ballots.

Basically, your sole paper option for voting at this site (which is actually on the 3rd, not 2nd floor), is to fill out an absentee ballot, seal it in the yellow envelope, then reseal it in the mail-in postage-paid envelope. An election official will accept it by hand.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Oooohhh my, sounds like the conspiracy theorists are warming up their protests.

glurg
                FutureNewsNetwork.com
                Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                  Oooohhh my, sounds like the conspiracy theorists are warming up their protest
                  Actually, no, no conspiracy. The bugs have not been worked out of electronic voting. I listened to an item on NPR last Friday. Several European nations embraced electronic voting several years ago and have now abandoned it. Ireland is the only one of several that were mentioned that I remember offhand.

There were instances where a vote for one candidate was registered to his opponent. The software was written by two or three different companies and there were no common protocols on parameters between the three competing companies.

Electronic voting is not ready for prime time. Refuse to cast your vote electronically, no matter who you vote for.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Electronic voting has become available during the 8 years Bush has been in office, yet really, nothing has been sufficiantly done to insure the slightest degree of perfection. Not even worthwhile back-ups. In fact, much the opposite. 'Strange', eh?

I like using the paper ballots, and also promote them as a safety measure until electronic ballots are fraud/mistake free, which will happen during an Obama presidency.

I'd also like to see virtually every person cast their votes as early as possible, to keep Hawaii from always being last and discounted from the proceedings. Have it in the bag before election day and set a standard the rest of the country can look and aspire to.
                    Then you don't have to go to the polling place drunk.
                    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

hi this is sansei and i just viewed on a local website of the mayoral debate and i sent in my comment to ann k and i shared with howard that if Ann k' were elected mayor,i shared with howard that brt wouldnt be good is we've tried it once with all bus system and this hasnt worked and that a rail steel on steel would work and i also in my e-mail to howard,

that in the mainland rail is quiet and effective and it's not like in our grandfather's or father's time where train's of the old made all the noise and that now rail is electric and not noisy so i thought to share this with everyone.

well thank's for your time

Comment

Ummmm, sansei? WAY off-topic.

Comment

Ron
                          even if you vote early, the ballots are counted locally, which means that when the polls close here (6pm) it's already 11pm in the east - so Hawaii is still at the end of the line when tallies are reported. That being said, if it is a close election, would it not be cool to have HI as "the decider?"

Comment

I don't understand why anyone is suspicious of electronic voting here on Oahu. A paper 'ballot' is printed by the electronic voting machine prior to the vote being cast, you review it to ensure accuracy, then you 'cast' the ballot by accepting it (if it's not correct, you discard it and revise your voting until you have what you want). That paper ballot remains in the machine and is available for counting or recounting even if the electronic media is corrupted (just as with regular paper ballots). It is no less secure than the standard paper ballot (in fact, it's a bit more secure because it isn't handled by precinct officials).
                            Last edited by salmoned; October 30, 2008, 09:11 AM.
                            May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                              A paper 'ballot' is printed by the electronic voting machine prior to the vote being cast, you review it to ensure accuracy, then you 'cast' the ballot by accepting it (if it's not correct, you discard it and revise your voting until you have what you want). That paper ballot remains in the machine and is available for counting or recounting even if the electronic media is corrupted (just as with regular paper ballots).
                              That is correct, the voting machine does retain the ballot....and that's how the errors were discovered in Europe. The paper receipt did not match the electronic tally in some cases. Officials had to go back and check EVERY paper receipt and compare it to the electronic tally. That proved to be time consuming and inefficient. As I recall, there were about a dozen European nations using electronic voting and all of them have eliminated it because of all the bugs in the system.

Electronic balloting is not ready for prime time.

Comment

Working...
                              X