We made it and our doggies are safe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We made it and our doggies are safe

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful information available on this site and for the questions you all answered for us as we planed our move to Oahu.

We arrived Monday, our dogs flew in Cargo and managed to arrive Safely, we were SO worried about them.

We have a short term lease on a place in Waikiki and have been working steadily to make it ready. Glad we read the warnings about roaches on the island or we might have thought we rented the wrong place

One last question if anyone has any experience with any of the storage places in Honolulu and/or movers. We have a container coming from the mainland and some of our stuff will need to be stored since our current apartment is small. We need some movers also to get the stuff from our container into the apartment and the rest into storage.

Mahalo everyone ! Hopefully we can return the favor to future folks on this forum.

Re: We made it and our doggies are safe

Originally posted by desperado View Post
    [...]
    One last question if anyone has any experience with any of the storage places in Honolulu and/or movers. We have a container coming from the mainland and some of our stuff will need to be stored since our current apartment is small. We need some movers also to get the stuff from our container into the apartment and the rest into storage.[...]
    Welcome...glad to hear the flight went well.

I know several people who were very happy with the service and price provided by S&S Piano Movers. No...you don't need a piano to use them! Anyway, I don't know if they can help with storage but they should be able to help with the move.

833-1857

Comment

Welcome! Glad to hear the dogs (and you ) made it safely! We worried like mad when we'd fly just to Kaua'i with our dog. And another time ona a snowy night by the fire....I can tell you about a ridiculous experience that almost got me arrested
      due to Aloha Airlines screwing up our dogs enroute back......

I have used S&S and was very pleased, TutuSue is correct. I've also used M. Dyer and Sons and they were great too. Both places went above and beyond what they were quoted to do and they were very friendly and understanding of my fretting and nerves! Welcome and good luck with everything!

Comment

I am extremely glad to hear that! This will be a huge worry of mine should I ever move back.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions I will check them out.

BTW: We flew with Continental, our breeder insisted that is the only airline he is willing to fly his dogs with since they have a good record.

Comment

Glad to hear you and the pups made it ok. Welcome to Hawaii!
            Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
            Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

desperado,

I have a storage unit at Hawaii Self-Storage. I am very happy with their service and facilities. They have climate control storage units and 24 hour access if you need it. I liked mine so much my mom and sister got one too.

Since you're staying in Waikiki there is one right at the top of Kapahulu Avenue (near UH) which is right across a Public Self Storage. There are different locations for Hawaii Self-Storage so you might want to ask if you have an option of moving your things closer to your more permanent address later on.

http://hawaiiselfstorage.net/

Good luck and welcome.

Comment

glad to hear that you and the doggies made it safely! welcom and A-L-OOOOO-H-A
                "chaos reigns within.
                reflect, repent and reboot.
                order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

We checked out Hawaii Self Storage. It looks good. Diamond Head Self Storage is giving a really good price so we might consider them. It's new. The price is only locked for 6 months then they say it will go up to an "unknown amount" but we probably don't need it that long since our short term lease is only 3 months and we plan to find a bigger place for our next location. We like a place over in Hawaii Kai called StorSecure it's a little far from our current location but it's a nice place. Anyone know anything about them?

Every storage company is recommending a mover called "Johnny the Mover" anyone know whats up with that ? He must be given kick backs or something

We haven't checked out SS or Dryer yet but plan to.

Comment

I would highly recommend "Johnny the Mover" - I just had him move me. Very quick, very careful and very well priced. He has a 2 hr minimum charge but he does a good job. He has also done moves for a friend of mine and my employer (who suggested using him to me) and I can only give him positive ratings.
                    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Welcome! I'm glad your doggies got here safely too!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

aloha and welcome
                        stay forever young

Comment

Welcome Desperado! I'm glad your pups are OK. They'll have quite an adventure story to tell their local dog friends
                          "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                          "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                          "
                          Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Welcome to Hawaii and that the doggies made it safely. We used Continental to fly our cat over several years ago when we moved back here. We also used Hawaii Self Storage in the Mapunapuna area on the recommendation of a friend. A lot of the pharmaceutical reps use them because of their security, access and air conditioning. My sis used a storage place in Kahala...can't remember the name but it was under the last stretch of the H-1. Seems like the price was kind of high though and they weren't as easily accessible as Hawaii Self Storage. Hope that you are enjoying life in your new surroundings!

Comment

Originally posted by desperado View Post
                              We arrived Monday, our dogs flew in Cargo and managed to arrive Safely, we were SO worried about them.
                              Great news that the dogs are ok. Now, if you have not already, next thing to do is to quickly get to a vet's office and get some heart worm pills for your dogs. [There is also a shot, but many vets have backed away from those due to problems at the injection site.] If you have a dog in Hawaii that is not on heart worm protection, it will get deadly heartworms!!
                              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Working...
                              X