Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 3

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
    i get irked at people who bring their dogs to the hospital i work at, walk em around campus as if it were a park, and sometimes not even on a leash. and some of the offenders actually argue with our security officers and nursing staff when they're told dogs aren't allowed. they apparently don't realize that (a) there are health and safety reasons why we don't allow pets on property and (b) since it's private property, we have every right to say who or what is allowed on the property.
    That reminds me! I work in a commercial building, and down the hall is a dentist office. A patient was told he couldn't bring the dog into the clinic, so he let it run loose outside. The dog pee'd in the hallway.

Another patient came to our office and asked if I would watch her dog while she went to her dental appointment. Of course, I said no. She said, "But, I'm going to have to cancel my appointment." Like I was my fault. A neighboring business agreed to watch her dog, but later regretted because her appointment took two hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post
      Every time I step on my digital scale it registers a different weight. It's a fairly new Weight Watchers digital scale I got from Costco, and it's always been this way. I can step on it ten times in a row, and I get ten different readings... sometimes five to ten pounds difference. I try to stand straight, not move, feet centered, etc., but it doesn't make a difference.
      Had a similar problem. It needs to be on a hard, flat surface. Not on carpet. I cut a piece of plywood larger than my scale, and now it works fine. Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by snowbird View Post
        Had a similar problem. It needs to be on a hard, flat surface. Not on carpet. I cut a piece of plywood larger than my scale, and now it works fine. Best of luck.
        It's on my bathroom floor, which is a hard and flat (linoleum) surface. Maybe I should move it to the kitchen (ceramic tile flooring), and see if there's a difference. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post
          It's on my bathroom floor, which is a hard and flat (linoleum) surface. Maybe I should move it to the kitchen (ceramic tile flooring), and see if there's a difference. Thanks.
          Personally, I find the best way to make the scale work correctly is to avoid stepping on it .

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            TG & SG - sorry, but you'll never lose that voice. How you respond to it over the years is a key part of being the person you truly want to be.[/ole fut]
            I know. And I didn't do it, I just thought about it really hard. Sometimes though, I just get tired of being the bigger person. I'm always having to be the bigger person and sometimes it's just like, "Why do I always have to be the good one? Why can't just once I say no to someone? Why can't I stay home and veg on the couch instead of going to a friend's baby's first birthday party that's going to be incredibly boring since I will be the only one there with no kids and my friend won't be able to talk anyway and I don't know anyone else?" It's not that I want to be a mean or bad person, it's just once in a while I don't want to have to always do "proper" thing and stay home and enjoy my weekend.

My pet peeve? We went camping this weekend and our air mattress deflated both nights. That makes it much colder when it's only 47 degrees!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
              I know. And I didn't do it, I just thought about it really hard. Sometimes though, I just get tired of being the bigger person. I'm always having to be the bigger person and sometimes it's just like, "Why do I always have to be the good one? Why can't just once I say no to someone? Why can't I stay home and veg on the couch instead of going to a friend's baby's first birthday party that's going to be incredibly boring since I will be the only one there with no kids and my friend won't be able to talk anyway and I don't know anyone else?" It's not that I want to be a mean or bad person, it's just once in a while I don't want to have to always do "proper" thing and stay home and enjoy my weekend.

My pet peeve? We went camping this weekend and our air mattress deflated both nights. That makes it much colder when it's only 47 degrees!
              Ooooh, SG...this isn't about not being able to say no or being perceived as good. Nor is it about being proper. This is about taking the high road; about not lowering yourself to the low level of someone else. A good example of this is your original example above citing the stupid guys making fun of you in training class. They were trying to rattle your cage. As much as you wanted to do something to them, you didn't. You took the high road. They, otoh, didn't accomplish what they set out to accomplish. You popped their balloon by ignoring them! You WON!

And, what's this with your friend's baby's first birthday party? You're not doing her...or you...any favors by attending and feeling miserable. What's the worst that can happen if you choose not to attend? Tell her you have other plans...then, during party time, head over to a camping store and buy new air mattresses! You haven't lied to your friend because you've made plans to go to the camping store! Or you can stop by the party for the last half hour or so. You have choices if you think them thru.

Comment

It's not that I want to be a mean or bad person, it's just once in a while I don't want to have to always do "proper" thing and stay home and enjoy my weekend.
                Yeah - that's always a tough one, because if you go, you know you are only going to make someone else happy.

That's a good thing to do, we all have those situations, and it's part of the price of being part of this world --- but every once in a while, burnout can hit you hard, and you do need to bow out of other people's plans so you can recharge.

You'll have to decide whether or not you can get through that one more activity and put off a break until the next weekend (which, for all I know, might be just as full - that's what my life tends to be like), or if your gas tank has already hit "empty," and you'll just be no good to yourself or anyone else until you get to stop and fill up.

If you choose not to go, here's hoping your friend is not the type to take it wrong (and if she has a one-year-old, she'll soon understand the need for personal down-time, if she doesn't already).

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                  Yeah - that's always a tough one, because if you go, you know you are only going to make someone else happy.

That's a good thing to do, we all have those situations, and it's part of the price of being part of this world --- but every once in a while, burnout can hit you hard, and you do need to bow out of other people's plans so you can recharge.

You'll have to decide whether or not you can get through that one more activity and put off a break until the next weekend (which, for all I know, might be just as full - that's what my life tends to be like), or if your gas tank has already hit "empty," and you'll just be no good to yourself or anyone else until you get to stop and fill up.

If you choose not to go, here's hoping your friend is not the type to take it wrong (and if she has a one-year-old, she'll soon understand the need for personal down-time, if she doesn't already).
                  Good advice coming from above. You need to stop and re-charge your own batteries. It might be a walk around the park with a flask and some sarnies ~ Whatever ! Time out is important. Please be easy with yourself.

Comment

Why can't I stay home and veg on the couch instead of going to a friend's baby's first birthday party that's going to be incredibly boring since I will be the only one there with no kids and my friend won't be able to talk anyway and I don't know anyone else?" It's not that I want to be a mean or bad person, it's just once in a while I don't want to have to always do "proper" thing and stay home and enjoy my weekend.
                    Hmmm.... "social obligations" can be rather sticky. But finding a way to acknowledge the importance of the occasion for your friend, and also enjoying yourself... don't have to be mutually exclusive outcomes.

My effort to salvage a "win/win" in this situation would probably have been to make an appearance (i.e., "show face") at the party to deliver the baby's birthday gift.

Then, having done so, I'd apologetically tell the hosts, "Sorry I have to run, but... (insert white lie here: I have another *commitment*, something came up that I need to take care of, etc. etc.)
                    Total time spent at party = about 30 minutes.

I'd then honor my *commitment* to myself to enjoy the rest of my evening...
                    And go home to veg on the couch!

That would be a "win/win" in my book.
                    To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

• Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 3

Bought four ink cartridges for my Epson Stylus CX6000 printer. The printer drank all four cartridges in four prints! May as well have taken a lighter to a $50 bill.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                        Bought four ink cartridges for my Epson Stylus CX6000 printer. The printer drank all four cartridges in four prints! May as well have taken a lighter to a $50 bill.
                        Yikes!

At first, I thought you might be doing large format (e.g. poster size) prints.
                        Then I googled to see which printer you were talking about, and found this review posted on cnet.com (my emphasis added in bold):

http://reviews.cnet.com/multifunctio...l?tag=mncol;uo

""BUYER BEWARE"

by applespice2006 on November 13, 2006

Pros: Cheap; lots of features

Cons: ink problem

Summary: Epson is experiencing an ongoing ink problem with this printer. It seems that the ink cartridges sent with the printer falsely indicate that they're empty when they're not. I've experienced this problem. And I'm not alone (check out the links below.) Epson tells me that the chip problem is only on the cartridges they sent with the printer and that other cartridges purchased elsewhere would not have this problem. I hope they're right. I've owned the Epson CX7800 and been very happy with it. If you're considering this printer, you might want to see how this issue resolves.
                        More than one reviewer mentioned the same thing. Could it be that you're getting false *empty* readings?

If not... hell, that's one THIRSTY printer!
                        I'd dump it and get something more economical, for sure!
                        To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

I called the ink store where I bought the cartridges from. They told me to bring them back and they'd exchange them for free. When arrived, there were four cartridges waiting for me. The girl there told me if those don't work they'd refund my original purchase price. I hope these cartridges work.

Either way though this place where I bought the ink from were really good about customer service. It's called Eco-Ink in the Hilo Shopping Center and they give you a punch card. Buy five ink cartridges and get the sixth one free. So I bought the four cartridges for my Epson and one for my Brother and now I have a completely punched out card. That's a good deal.

Another good deal is Office Max. Turn in used ink cartridges (doesn't matter if they refill them or not) and get $3.00 credit towards your Office MaxPerks account. I turned in six the other day and now I have a credit of $18.00. That's another great deal, so if you have old ink cartridges, recycle them at Office Max for credit.

Comment

Oh man I read those reviews on this printer. Sounds like I'm having ink problems like the many others that have purchased it as well. I may have to go to OEM cartridges as it seems the after market generic stuff just doesn't want to work with this printer. No wonder the girl there was so apologetic to me.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                              [...]
                              Another good deal is Office Max. Turn in used ink cartridges (doesn't matter if they refill them or not) and get $3.00 credit towards your Office MaxPerks account. I turned in six the other day and now I have a credit of $18.00. That's another great deal, so if you have old ink cartridges, recycle them at Office Max for credit.
                              When this first started it was for oem cartridges only, no generics allowed. Do you know if this is still the case?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                                When this first started it was for oem cartridges only, no generics allowed. Do you know if this is still the case?
                                I tried the replacement cartridges and it seems the problem persists with generics. Going back to OEM.

Comment

Working...
                                X