Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 3

Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 3

Quote Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
    is your friend named Margaret?
    Nope! I shoulda mentioned that some spots are written in-house and some are contracted out. My friend is a freelancer.

People that don't acknowledge you at all when you hold the door for them, or when you allow them to go before you. Also, people that don't give way when walking opposite ways on a sidewalk. Next time that happens, I'll just continue on a collision course w/ them, and see what happens, I guess.

Usually it doesn't bother me that much, but today all of these happened to me within a couple hours. I called the last lady a *b* at Down to Earth this morning, because she treated my humble politeness and wide smile with a sneering dirty look. Was it soooooo hard for her to at least give me a nod?
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Quote Originally Posted by turtlegirl View Post
    People that don't acknowledge you at all when you hold the door for them, or when you allow them to go before you. Also, people that don't give way when walking opposite ways on a sidewalk. Next time that happens, I'll just continue on a collision course w/ them, and see what happens, I guess.
    Keep on being the one with good manners, tg. Better that you provide a shining example for someone else, than that you allow yourself to be dragged down. It may not seem like it some days, but civility still lives in many who choose to keep it alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Keep on being the one with good manners, tg. Better that you provide a shining example for someone else, than that you allow yourself to be dragged down. It may not seem like it some days, but civility still lives in many who choose to keep it alive.
    Ohh, but it's so hard sometimes! I was very close to lobbing a Sharpie across the room at these stupid guys that were making fun of me in our training class today. Are we 12?

Can't think of anything creative this time

Quote Originally Posted by surlygirly View Post
    Ohh, but it's so hard sometimes! I was very close to lobbing a Sharpie across the room at these stupid guys that were making fun of me in our training class today. Are we 12?
    And you woulda played right into their game, SG. Sounds like they were trying to antagonize you and had you played their game they woulda won!

It's much easier and less stressful to take the high road. Lowering oneself to another's negative level just takes too much energy, imnsho! Then there's always the karma issue!

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    And you woulda played right into their game, SG. Sounds like they were trying to antagonize you and had you played their game they woulda won!
    Aaaah, tis the folly of our youth. Except that we're adults, SG and I, problem is, we're young adults. We want to be the better person and take the high road. Obviously thats the best way to handle anything. But we also still have this tiny voice in the back of our minds that says "Freak out! Why would someone do that?! I'm mad!! Whats going on!? I really wanna whack that jerk!! Could I have a tantrum and get away with it?! Grrrr! Stress out!!!".

I hope I grow out of this phase soon!
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

SG.

You have got some wise info above. Please take it.

My pet peeve for today is the crazy man running around and thru my condo building (the commercial part and outside...not the interior of the condo section) and swinging a knife. The best part of today? He was caught! There were at least 12 HPD vehicles at the scene, cops running everywhere and it took 5 of 'em to bring the guy down. Lots and lots of cops on their hands and knees, in the street, looking under cars for the knife that got tossed! The commotion was certainly worthy of a news crew but I didn't see one. Never a dull moment in the 'hood!

Aaaah, tis the folly of our youth. Except that we're adults, SG and I, problem is, we're young adults. We want to be the better person and take the high road. Obviously thats the best way to handle anything. But we also still have this tiny voice in the back of our minds that says "Freak out! Why would someone do that?! I'm mad!! Whats going on!? I really wanna whack that jerk!! Could I have a tantrum and get away with it?! Grrrr! Stress out!!!".

I hope I grow out of this phase soon!
    TG & SG - sorry, but you'll never lose that voice. How you respond to it over the years is a key part of being the person you truly want to be.[/ole fut]

People that don't acknowledge you at all when you hold the door for them

Usually it doesn't bother me that much, but today all of these happened to me within a couple hours. I called the last lady a *b* at Down to Earth this morning, because she treated my humble politeness and wide smile with a sneering dirty look. Was it soooooo hard for her to at least give me a nod?
    To me there is a big difference to someone giving a no response to you (which is a neutral thing) to someone giving you a sneering dirty look which is a negative thing.

So is being neutral a bad thing for you?

People who block supermarket aisles and don't consider others who need to pass. Sometimes there are whole families, sometimes only one person and a cart. And if I say "excuse me", they give me a look and grudgingly move. I don't get it. I'm always mindful of keeping my cart to the side, and aware of others around me so that I'm not in anyone's way.

living in sin in kaimuki w/mixedplatebroker

Quote Originally Posted by Sharilyn View Post
    People who block supermarket aisles and don't consider others who need to pass. Sometimes there are whole families, sometimes only one person and a cart. And if I say "excuse me", they give me a look and grudgingly move. I don't get it. I'm always mindful of keeping my cart to the side, and aware of others around me so that I'm not in anyone's way.
    you're not the only one. eric hates that, too. after one polite "excuse me, please," and a two second wait for response/acknowledgment, he'll "allow" our cart to "roll" into the spacehog. he'll then smile innocently and say, "oh! sorry!" some look sheepish, some give him a dirty look, but everyone gets out of the way.

i get irked at people who bring their dogs to the hospital i work at, walk em around campus as if it were a park, and sometimes not even on a leash. and some of the offenders actually argue with our security officers and nursing staff when they're told dogs aren't allowed. they apparently don't realize that (a) there are health and safety reasons why we don't allow pets on property and (b) since it's private property, we have every right to say who or what is allowed on the property.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Quote Originally Posted by cynsaligia View Post
    after one polite "excuse me, please," and a two second wait for response/acknowledgment, he'll "allow" our cart to "roll" into the spacehog. he'll then smile innocently and say, "oh! sorry!" some look sheepish, some give him a dirty look, but everyone gets out of the way.
    I know you have an air-horn, and I know you know how to use it. I sense a fine opportunity to play 'em a snappy li'l number!

If you have to repeat your request - just tell them to "Move your Cart!". If you have to say it a 3rd time, THEN ram their cart. You know, kind of like baseball: 3 strikes, you're out.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    Sydney J. Harris

living in sin in kaimuki w/mixedplatebroker

I know you have an air-horn, and I know you know how to use it. I sense a fine opportunity to play 'em a snappy li'l number!
    ah, you've given me a reason to share this cute lil video:

pepper white MINI cooper S w/airhorn

no, tis not my car. if i had an airhorn in my MINI, i sure as heck wouldn't roll with just a 9 oz, esp when eric's titan comes loaded with a 15 gal tank & compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
    If you have to repeat your request - just tell them to "Move your Cart!". If you have to say it a 3rd time, THEN ram their cart. You know, kind of like baseball: 3 strikes, you're out.
    i'd be more likely to take that tact myself. eric, normally fairly direct, finds his passive-aggressive cart-bumping tactic particularly amusing, since in his mind, people who spacehog know they're spacehogging and secretly hope others will just work around their selfishness.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Quote Originally Posted by cynsaligia View Post
    i get irked at people who bring their dogs to the hospital i work at, walk em around campus as if it were a park, and sometimes not even on a leash. and some of the offenders actually argue with our security officers and nursing staff when they're told dogs aren't allowed. they apparently don't realize that (a) there are health and safety reasons why we don't allow pets on property and (b) since it's private property, we have every right to say who or what is allowed on the property.
    That reminds me! I work in a commercial building, and down the hall is a dentist office. A patient was told he couldn't bring the dog into the clinic, so he let it run loose outside. The dog pee'd in the hallway.

Another patient came to our office and asked if I would watch her dog while she went to her dental appointment. Of course, I said no. She said, "But, I'm going to have to cancel my appointment." Like I was my fault. A neighboring business agreed to watch her dog, but later regretted because her appointment took two hours.

Every time I step on my digital scale it registers a different weight. It's a fairly new Weight Watchers digital scale I got from Costco, and it's always been this way. I can step on it ten times in a row, and I get ten different readings... sometimes five to ten pounds difference. I try to stand straight, not move, feet centered, etc., but it doesn't make a difference.
    Had a similar problem. It needs to be on a hard, flat surface. Not on carpet. I cut a piece of plywood larger than my scale, and now it works fine. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbird View Post
    Had a similar problem. It needs to be on a hard, flat surface. Not on carpet. I cut a piece of plywood larger than my scale, and now it works fine. Best of luck.
    It's on my bathroom floor, which is a hard and flat (linoleum) surface. Maybe I should move it to the kitchen (ceramic tile flooring), and see if there's a difference. Thanks.

It's on my bathroom floor, which is a hard and flat (linoleum) surface. Maybe I should move it to the kitchen (ceramic tile flooring), and see if there's a difference. Thanks.
    Personally, I find the best way to make the scale work correctly is to avoid stepping on it .

TG & SG - sorry, but you'll never lose that voice. How you respond to it over the years is a key part of being the person you truly want to be.[/ole fut]
    I know. And I didn't do it, I just thought about it really hard. Sometimes though, I just get tired of being the bigger person. I'm always having to be the bigger person and sometimes it's just like, "Why do I always have to be the good one? Why can't just once I say no to someone? Why can't I stay home and veg on the couch instead of going to a friend's baby's first birthday party that's going to be incredibly boring since I will be the only one there with no kids and my friend won't be able to talk anyway and I don't know anyone else?" It's not that I want to be a mean or bad person, it's just once in a while I don't want to have to always do "proper" thing and stay home and enjoy my weekend.

My pet peeve? We went camping this weekend and our air mattress deflated both nights. That makes it much colder when it's only 47 degrees!

Can't think of anything creative this time

I know. And I didn't do it, I just thought about it really hard. Sometimes though, I just get tired of being the bigger person. I'm always having to be the bigger person and sometimes it's just like, "Why do I always have to be the good one? Why can't just once I say no to someone? Why can't I stay home and veg on the couch instead of going to a friend's baby's first birthday party that's going to be incredibly boring since I will be the only one there with no kids and my friend won't be able to talk anyway and I don't know anyone else?" It's not that I want to be a mean or bad person, it's just once in a while I don't want to have to always do "proper" thing and stay home and enjoy my weekend.

My pet peeve? We went camping this weekend and our air mattress deflated both nights. That makes it much colder when it's only 47 degrees!
    Ooooh, SG...this isn't about not being able to say no or being perceived as good. Nor is it about being proper. This is about taking the high road; about not lowering yourself to the low level of someone else. A good example of this is your original example above citing the stupid guys making fun of you in training class. They were trying to rattle your cage. As much as you wanted to do something to them, you didn't. You took the high road. They, otoh, didn't accomplish what they set out to accomplish. You popped their balloon by ignoring them! You WON!

And, what's this with your friend's baby's first birthday party? You're not doing her...or you...any favors by attending and feeling miserable. What's the worst that can happen if you choose not to attend? Tell her you have other plans...then, during party time, head over to a camping store and buy new air mattresses! You haven't lied to your friend because you've made plans to go to the camping store! Or you can stop by the party for the last half hour or so. You have choices if you think them thru.

It's not that I want to be a mean or bad person, it's just once in a while I don't want to have to always do "proper" thing and stay home and enjoy my weekend.
    Yeah - that's always a tough one, because if you go, you know you are only going to make someone else happy.

That's a good thing to do, we all have those situations, and it's part of the price of being part of this world --- but every once in a while, burnout can hit you hard, and you do need to bow out of other people's plans so you can recharge.

You'll have to decide whether or not you can get through that one more activity and put off a break until the next weekend (which, for all I know, might be just as full - that's what my life tends to be like), or if your gas tank has already hit "empty," and you'll just be no good to yourself or anyone else until you get to stop and fill up.

If you choose not to go, here's hoping your friend is not the type to take it wrong (and if she has a one-year-old, she'll soon understand the need for personal down-time, if she doesn't already).

Yeah - that's always a tough one, because if you go, you know you are only going to make someone else happy.

That's a good thing to do, we all have those situations, and it's part of the price of being part of this world --- but every once in a while, burnout can hit you hard, and you do need to bow out of other people's plans so you can recharge.

You'll have to decide whether or not you can get through that one more activity and put off a break until the next weekend (which, for all I know, might be just as full - that's what my life tends to be like), or if your gas tank has already hit "empty," and you'll just be no good to yourself or anyone else until you get to stop and fill up.

If you choose not to go, here's hoping your friend is not the type to take it wrong (and if she has a one-year-old, she'll soon understand the need for personal down-time, if she doesn't already).
    Good advice coming from above. You need to stop and re-charge your own batteries. It might be a walk around the park with a flask and some sarnies ~ Whatever ! Time out is important. Please be easy with yourself.

Why can't I stay home and veg on the couch instead of going to a friend's baby's first birthday party that's going to be incredibly boring since I will be the only one there with no kids and my friend won't be able to talk anyway and I don't know anyone else?" It's not that I want to be a mean or bad person, it's just once in a while I don't want to have to always do "proper" thing and stay home and enjoy my weekend.
    Hmmm.... "social obligations" can be rather sticky. But finding a way to acknowledge the importance of the occasion for your friend, and also enjoying yourself... don't have to be mutually exclusive outcomes.

My effort to salvage a "win/win" in this situation would probably have been to make an appearance (i.e., "show face") at the party to deliver the baby's birthday gift.

Then, having done so, I'd apologetically tell the hosts, "Sorry I have to run, but... (insert white lie here: I have another *commitment*, something came up that I need to take care of, etc. etc.)
    Total time spent at party = about 30 minutes.

I'd then honor my *commitment* to myself to enjoy the rest of my evening...
    And go home to veg on the couch!

That would be a "win/win" in my book.
    To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Bought four ink cartridges for my Epson Stylus CX6000 printer. The printer drank all four cartridges in four prints! May as well have taken a lighter to a $50 bill.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast