Got A Ticket For Littering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got A Ticket For Littering

Ugh. I got a ticket for littering this morning. Its my 4th ticket since I moved here. I'm starting to feel a little unlucky, except for all of those good things that keep happening to me, too!

Here's what happened. I was smoking on my way to school this morning, and when I was done, I realized that yesterday I cleaned out my car, and had cleaned out the ashtray but forgot to put it back. So I did something I almost never do, and dropped the butt out the window. Next time I glanced at the rearview mirror, there were flashy lights, and I was pulled over. I got a ticket for "littering from vehicle".

I know fully well that littering is a very bad thing to do, especially cigarette butts. However, I'm afraid that the judge (yeah, I got another court date) will hit me with some giant fine - because the law doesn't differentiate between my cig and someone throwing trash bags out the back of their truck while cruising along H3.

Anybody have any advice?
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Re: Got A Ticket For Littering

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
    [...]
    Anybody have any advice?
    Uh huh! <drum roll, please!> Stop littering!!! But, then, you knew I was gonna say that, right?!!! Seriously, TG, I don't think there's really any advice any of us can give you. At this point I think it's just a matter of you being more aware of what you're doing in the moment. IOW, the onus is on you and you might want to prepare yourself for that fine, whatever amount it is.

Unlucky? No! Now, had that 'roommate from hell' been in the passenger seat of your car and, during your drive to the airport to gleefully send her back to the mainland, she dropped the ciggie butt out the window, you got stopped and issued a ticket and she refused to pay it then...that'd be unlucky!

Have all the tickets been for littering? I seem to remember one was for having an open container (beer?) on the beach. Regardless, 4 tickets are a lot esp. in such a short amount of time.

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
      I know fully well that littering is a very bad thing to do, especially cigarette butts. However, I'm afraid that the judge (yeah, I got another court date) will hit me with some giant fine - because the law doesn't differentiate between my cig and someone throwing trash bags out the back of their truck while cruising along H3.

Anybody have any advice?
      Be thankful.

About a dozen years ago, I was driving my Mazda RX-7 and smoking a cigarette. Although I have always considered myself an environmentalist, at the time, I was a punk kid mad at the world because I couldn’t get into UH Mānoa and was forced to enroll in community college. I flicked my cigarette out the window, and no less than 10 seconds later, a loud Hawaiian riding shotgun in a truck driven by his huge samoan friend yelled, “What the f*#k are you littering for?!” Needless to say, it’s one thing to be tailed, but these guys drove side-by-side with me for nearly a mile, taunting and challenging me. I definitely feared for my safety.

At the time, I would have gladly taken a ticket for littering any day over that harrowing experience.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

That's amazing. 44 years I've lived on Oahu and never got a single ticket for littering simply because I don't. 4 years on the Big Island and no ticket yet because...I don't.

Lesson learned here...if you don't want to get a ticket for littering...then don't.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I always wondered and hoped that there would be some penalty for that sort of behavior but I'd never witnessed it. I find it most reprehensible, I always wonder why people do that. I have to say because it's you TG I feel sorry for you - anybody else I'd say let
          the fine be as high as possible. What a drag.......

Comment

It's not something I would normally do. My only other choices were to start a small fire in my car with it, or set in my lap, thereby causing a small fire on my person. I don't want to justify my bad decision, only explain that at the time the cop was observing me, I was in the midst of a rock and a hard place. And the quick decision I made resulted in a ticket.

I am not a litterbug!! I just made a rah decision. I pick up trash all the time, at the beach and while out walking. I often pick up other peoples' cig butts and garbage. I want Hawaii to remain beautiful and trash free. I know that every piece of litter that doesn't make it to a trashcan will make its way into our ocean and onto our reef, or into the mouths of turtles or the blowholes of dolphins.

I would just prefer not to end up penalized in the same way that one would be treated if they were caught dumping an old water heater, a couch, and an entertainment center outta the back of his truck at the side of the road in the middle of the night.

Comment

A couple Smoker's Secrets from a former and soon to be resident of da Aian.

Always carry a water bottle with a small amount of water in it for cigarette butts - it also helps with some of the smoky smell of the car (still reeks, but nowhere near as bad.) And be careful when after a long surf session, you don't accidentally drink the butt water - Nasty!

A trick if you don't have the bottle is to roll the butt in between your middle finger and thumb at the end of the filter (near the tobacco) with your hand out the window - the cherry will fall off and you'll just have dispose of the butt and no worries car fire.
              Stephen

Comment

I see people toss butts out their windows all the time. Thrilled that a policeman actually acted. But yes, you're unlucky in this one.
                Burl Burlingame
                "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Of course...

... you could, STOP SMOKING CIGARETTES.

Go to court, plead your case stating you've learned your lesson, and have given up ciggies and turned over a new tobacco leaf, promising to never litter again.

That would sway me, The Hangin' Judge.
                  Of course I'd have my baliff search your purse and smell your breath first.
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Re: Of course...

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post

That would sway me, The Hangin' Judge.
                    Of course I'd have my baliff search your purse and smell your breath first.
                    yah gonna have the baliff strip her naked and give her a cavity check for cigarettes too?

unfortunate turtlegirl - don't litter

i followed one guy all the way home from ualena st. by the airport to kaneohe - idiot drove by threw his cigarette butt out the window right next to our car......when we finally arrived in kaneohe...by the way he lives right across from temple valley.

i got out of the car - had the cigarette butt in my left hand and my bat in my right hand - walked right up to him and told him to take that butt he threw out the window on ualena st by the airport and dump it in his own trash can. he looked at me and hissed - i blew him a kiss and told him have a good evening with the bat still in my right hand. LOL

i dislike those who litter - please kokua

mahalo and malama pono
                    Last edited by Seeking Penance; October 29, 2008, 04:30 PM. Reason: correction
                    stay forever young

Comment

This is a perfect venue for talking about Polynesian style justice.

First TG, I want to compliment you for admitting your mistake and for taking the criticism with humility and dignity. You set a good example for all of us in honesty and taking responsibility for your actions.

The primary purpose of Polynesian justice is not harsh punishment but education and rehabilitation. As one of Fakatulolo's matapules (talking chief), I would often sit by his side and act as the intermediary between the offender and the judge, in this case Fakatulolo, in our village of Falevai. Although Falevai was made up of diverse families, the village was a close knit community of interdependent members. Peace and harmony in the village were more important in the long run than being right or wrong. As I gained more experience as a matapule, Fakatulolo would often ask me for advice about what the punishment should be for some transgression after listening to the evidence. You see, Fakatulolo was also testing me to see if I was worthy to be one of his matapules. Again, education and repayment of the transgression was more important than humiliation and vindictive retribution. I think I learned well the importance and nuances of Polynesian justice, because eventually Fakatulolo made me matapule for life with the matapule name, Mui Houma.

As matapule, TG, I have listened to the explanation of your mistake. I have read what others have said to you, which I think were heartfelt and for the most part an honest attempt to give you good advice. I think you have learned your lession. The sentence that I am going to give you is one to educate, two to rehabilitate, and three to make amends to your community. My sentence, if I were judging you in the village of Falevai, is that you perform community service by picking up trash alongside the road where you littered for a period of 4 hours.

My advice to you TG is that when you appear before the judge, you admit your mistake, offer an apology, and ask for community service by picking up trash alonside the road where you littered. Explain to the judge that you are a student with limited financial resources and that a fine would be a hardship. Tell him you are willing and happy to do community service to make amends. Any judge, worthy of being a matapule will grant your request.

Go in peace, my daughter, and litter no more.
                      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                        A couple Smoker's Secrets from a former and soon to be resident of da Aian.

Always carry a water bottle with a small amount of water in it for cigarette butts - it also helps with some of the smoky smell of the car (still reeks, but nowhere near as bad.) And be careful when after a long surf session, you don't accidentally drink the butt water - Nasty!

A trick if you don't have the bottle is to roll the butt in between your middle finger and thumb at the end of the filter (near the tobacco) with your hand out the window - the cherry will fall off and you'll just have dispose of the butt and no worries car fire.
                        Stephen
                        And when you pick your nose, the same thing works...
                        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Susie,
                          When I first read your reply, I asked myself what?! And then I thought for a moment and I haven't stopped laughing!
                          Stephen

Comment

Re: Of course...

Originally posted by Seeking Penance View Post
                            i followed one guy all the way home from ualena st. by the airport to kaneohe - idiot drove by threw his cigarette butt out the window right next to our car......when we finally arrived in kaneohe...by the way he lives right across from temple valley.

i got out of the car - had the cigarette butt in my left hand and my bat in my right hand - walked right up to him and told him to take that butt he threw out the window on ualena st by the airport and dump it in his own trash can. he looked at me and hissed - i blew him a kiss and told him have a good evening with the bat still in my right hand. LOL

i dislike those who litter - please kokua

mahalo and malama pono

Whoa. Perhaps you have a lot of time on your hands to threaten violence towards people, but I don't think that that was a very cool thing to do, and you're lucky he didn't call the police.

Comment

Ron,
                              I'm a little intoxicated, which is how I used to always post here and gathered so many friends . . . . . ..

I thought you were the voice of the Proletariat - shouldn't you be buying TG cigarettes?

Stephen

Comment

Working...
                              X