Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Got A Ticket For Littering

surlygirly
    Crashed our rental car (I swear it was just a scratch)
    hope you had insurance?

2. Introduced myself to someone's kids by my first name (NO ONE has ever called me Mrs, even though I've been married almost 4 years, and I'm only 27)
    i don't think that's a mistake. probably a cultural thing? growing up, everybody was either auntie or uncle.

3. Accidently offended a bunch of people who live in Ewa Beach (I honestly didn't mean to say it was a bad part of town. I was just quoting a different website)
    hm. i grew up there in the older part of 'ewa beach. i loved it. but things do change. um, you live there, no?

4. Left my flip-fl...I mean slippahs on in the guy next door's house b/c we live RIGHT on the beach and have glossy concrete floors, so everyone's feet are black and I didn't want to get his carpet dirty.
    ooh. yes. that's a no no. dirty black feet and slippahs don't mix with carpet. either way, it would have gotten soiled. however, we live a block from the beach. we call this a beach house. no matter my upbringing (would probably get slapped upside da head), we have to wear slippahs in the house as the floors no matter how many times i clean them, have sand tracked in from the dogs. also, it's about a comfort level. can't walk around on the tile with bear feet--ouch, i feel a cramp coming on already. several others have talked about this.

i don't think either you or TG are litterbugs. you made a mistake. pay the fine or do community service. whatever the judge decides. pau. lesson learned.
    "chaos reigns within.
    reflect, repent and reboot.
    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
      [...]
      i don't think that's a mistake. probably a cultural thing? growing up, everybody was either auntie or uncle.
      I completely agree with you, KL. I wasn't addressed as Mrs. by children here even when I was married! Children raised in Hawaii always called me Auntie...and now, Tutu! When I have a casting day full of children I always end the day feeling I have an abundance of nieces, nephews and grandkids! I love it!
      [...]we have to wear slippahs in the house as the floors no matter how many times i clean them, have sand tracked in from the dogs. also, it's about a comfort level. can't walk around on the tile with bear feet--ouch, i feel a cramp coming on already. several others have talked about this.
      My feet are at a stage in their long lives that barefoot jus' plain, ol' hurts. DAYAM, 'cuz I despise shoes, any kind! Now, when I go to someone's house I ask for their preference. The majority are fine either way. Still, I love the tradition of removing shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        I completely agree with you, KL. I wasn't addressed as Mrs. by children here even when I was married! Children raised in Hawaii always called me Auntie...and now, Tutu! When I have a casting day full of children I always end the day feeling I have an abundance of nieces, nephews and grandkids! I love it!
        "terms of endearment." lol.

My feet are at a stage in their long lives that barefoot jus' plain, ol' hurts. DAYAM, 'cuz I despise shoes, any kind! Now, when I go to someone's house I ask for their preference. The majority are fine either way. Still, I love the tradition of removing shoes.
        yes, the tradition of removing shoes shows respect. shucks! surlygirl's neighbor should have one of those little signs that says to do just that. one thing she needs to learn is that the more she wears slippahs, the wider and sometimes bigger her feet become dea ya go--luau feet. on her way to becoming local real quick.
        Last edited by helen; November 6, 2008, 12:42 PM. Reason: fixing the quote tag
        "chaos reigns within.
        order shall return."

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
          As a fellow newbie, I totally understand your "newbie mistake thing". No one's explained anything to me, and in just 10 days I've already:
          1. Crashed our rental car (I swear it was just a scratch)
          Oh, dear. Though I gotta ask --- what could a local have explained to you that might have prevented this from happening?

Comment

Originally posted by Beachboy View Post
            I find it hard to believe you are not a litter bug, and I find it harder to believe your words too! If litter was really your concern darling, that cigarette butt would have never seen the light of day! First off you need to quit you filthy habit.

Lucky I wasn't behind you. I have verbally trashed people in traffic I have seen throwing their butts out their car window! Think better next time before you react!
            Don't believe me? Ummm, yeah, you're right. I love to lie to people. In your opinion I am a liar and a litterbug, eh? And you call me darling in the same sentence...awww...yick!

Thanks, beachboy. Maybe you should quit your filthy habit of verbally trashing strangers, in person, and online.
            ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

I think he meant 'darling' in a sarcastic tone, as Sarah Palin is considered just so darling for her backwoods expressions of nonsensical, hypocritical opinions and blithe disregard for facts. Oh, and don't forget the winks - they work wonders.

A 'sinner' is a 'sinner', no matter if repentant or forgiven (as none of us can objectively assess those latter qualities). You publicly announce being cited for breaking the law, then want to proclaim your 'innocence' and/or worthiness (at least, your worthiness not to receive maximum punishment), since you usually are a law-abiding, contributing member of society. So, what exactly is your purpose in confiding these indiscretions? Are you commending the officers that cited you? Are you railing against those petty laws? What?

If you really seek advice, I'd say,"Stop breaking the law in front of law-enforcement officers or anyone else liable to testify against you." That will solve the issue. As for what you should tell the judge, how about,"Your honor, I've received 4 tickets since I arrived here in Hawaii, xx months ago for yy, zz, aa and bb. If you don't throw the book at me, I'll probably get a whole lot more tickets in the near future. Maybe some jail time will cure me of my errant ways." Stating the truth would be akin to a fresh breath of tradewind air blowing over the island...
              Last edited by salmoned; November 7, 2008, 10:27 AM.
              May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

So, what exactly is your purpose in confiding these indiscretions? Are you commending the officers that cited you? Are you railing against those petty laws? What?
                Perhaps she was just having a bad day and needed to vent. It happens.

Oh, dear. Though I gotta ask --- what could a local have explained to you that might have prevented this from happening?
                Re: The car crash...Yes, we had insuranace, and nothing a local could have done would have changed this. Just pointing out all the things I've personally done to offend other people since I've moved here. Although...you really do have to wonder why someone would park directly behind someone else's driveway on a narrow street at night. But I claim fully responsibility.

yes, the tradition of removing shoes shows respect. shucks! surlygirl's neighbor should have one of those little signs that says to do just that. one thing she needs to learn is that the more she wears slippahs, the wider and sometimes bigger her feet become dea ya go--luau feet. on her way to becoming local real quick.
                Well, our neighbors are from Texas also and just recently moved here. So I just kind of was in the moment and forgot. Also, been wearing slippahs almost exclusively for years and my feet haven't grown any. (Although they did get a three-month break for boots Dec-Feb)

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

no luau feet, surlygirl? lucky you. i used to wear a 5 1/2 when i was working. then, when i started to help care for mom full time and wearing slippahs, i went to a 6 or 6 1/2.
                  hm? is it just me?
                  "chaos reigns within.
                  order shall return."

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                    Maybe you should quit your filthy habit of verbally trashing strangers, in person, and online.
                    People enjoy being morally superior. Sinners who love to cast the first stone (or wait for someone else to throw first and then join in). We're social creatures wired to crawl over each other, in the struggle to be alpha male/female (in small and big ways).

I'll give Beachboy the benefit of the doubt and assume he really is bothered by littering. If he's abusive with people all the time, I'd say he enjoys getting that self-righteous high too much, or he's inexperienced at being a leader/mentor. I would hope he's capable of a friendlier approach, maybe with a little teasing thrown in. Of course some litterbugs are "hard head", and they only listen when they're afraid. That's when a little Shock-and-Awe (tm) works best.

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                    So, what exactly is your purpose in confiding these indiscretions?
                    I think TG did what most people do with their close friends. They vent and whine (cuz we're all childish to some extent). Good friends support us, even when they know we're wrong. Later they slowly lead us to the right path, when we're ready to accept responsibility.

But this is usually done in private. The forums are very public places, even though they give you the illusion of privacy (you're sitting quietly in your home, no one's around, etc.). You might have a small circle of suportive online friends, but there are plenty of others who are not supportive.

Even real life friends who are gentle with you in private, may be more stern with you in public.

When TG sees the judge, she has to do two things:

1) respect the judge's time
                    2) don't do anything to make him think she's trying to weasle out of punishment

Judges are busy and overworked. They're impatient and have little tollerance. You might be the sweetest person in the world, but the judge doesn't have the time to find out. If you do anything which reminds him of the large number of scum bags he has to deal with, he's gonna treat you like one. The more you talk, the more likely you'll do that.

Like Matapule suggested, admit what you did, ask for community time instead of a fine, and basically keep it short and simple.

Good luck!
                    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                    "
                    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

We're human...plead guilty as charged, pay da fine and get on with life.

If you feel you need greater redemption, feel free to join any civic group that goes out and picks up other peoples litter along our scenic highways. Do this enough and soon you too will despise anyone that trashes this planet.

TG I'm pretty sure you've learned your lesson and don't need to be reminded again and again with this ongoing thread. The main thing is the hope that you will never EVER do that again right?

Nuff said...
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                        Your password clue is Lewinsky,
                        Humm, so, like ......
                        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

http://www.khon2.com/news/local/stor...ALx3TCILQ.cspx

I guess some people got mad and complained when they stepped in it. I thought that was good luck when you step on dog****.

Comment

https://www.kitv.com/story/43374459/...bill-is-passed

Double down.

Comment

Working...
                            X