No announcement yet.

KauKau Wagon Thanksgiving of Hope 2008!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KauKau Wagon Thanksgiving of Hope 2008!

Yet another 'Congratulations' to Sharon, Auntie and all the volunteers. What all of you do is truly amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
      My deepest apologies to Sophie.
      No worries Auntie. Some people don't seem to get it. You did what you do and made so many people smile.
      Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
      Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Originally posted by sophielynette View Post
        No worries Auntie. Some people don't seem to get it. You did what you do and made so many people smile.
        Thank you so much Sophie.

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

It truly was another wonderful Thanksgiving of Hope. We had a lot of volunteers from years past as well as many new ones. It was great seeing Auntie, DiverDown and his wife Mel, and meeting Seeking Penance and Diamond. Also briefly saw Turtlegirl and SophieLynette before they left...but don't think they saw me since I was watching over the clothing and stuffed animal area (some people get greedy and need gentle reminding about not taking too much and leaving enough for others). The music was great and everyone was in the holiday spirit...even when it drizzled on us. Sharon aka Kalona was all over the place, and her 2 Great Danes, Bo and Polo got plenty of attention in their Christmas attire (yes, one of them even had a Santa hat and beard). Next on the agenda is Auntie Lynn's Slippah Project and then the Christmas of Hope. Still needing lots of donations and help for both projects.

P.S. Seeking Penance ... this old fut (I'm a bit older than Auntie Lynn..but still call her Auntie! Go figure!) is still young at heart!! Age is just a number!

Comment

@ alohacandy - duly noted and respected !!!!

@ aunty lynn!! thanks a heaps aunty
            stay forever young

Comment

Chris thank u so much for helping with my babies!!! They adore u and ur daughter so much.

Mel great job on the shave ice. Thank u so much!! U and Ho'o were jammin. I was glad I got one.

Lynn u looked really holiday in ur pretty white and red get up. lol
              Thank u so much.

We really had some wonderful volunteers. I love the pics of the lil angels passing out the flowers. That was awesome.

The support we have had and the volunteers we get are really the best of the best.

Some of the challenges we are going to have to step up is security kind of stuff. Make sure everyone is comfortable and smiling the best we can. It's hard to control things like who cut the line, who got too much, who said what to who. Makes ur head spin a bit. lol Most of the people are great that we serve. But from time to time we get a few that are looking for beefs.
              It's something that even a few is too much. We are an unstructured street level program. So it's not that easy to have ur eyes on everything.

I think we may have lost a few volunteers due to some of the stuff. Not every thing always goes as u think u planned it, even with follow up calls and confirmations. I know we came up short with some items. I'll have to take another look at what we documented and go from there and hope we can make the Christmas event better. When u do things of this size it's not going to be perfect. U have to find some flexibility and try and have a plan B ready.
              My plan B didn't quite cut it on a few things.

The end results is what really matters. We had the opportunity to make a difference and we did. I saw more smiles and heard more mahalo's then I could count.

Now I am focusing on Lynns Slippah project. Times are tighter out there. And we are feeling it. I would love to see it go as great as last year but I am struggling really hard to get it there. But we have an advantage and that is the good heart of many who have found a way to make it happen. May bot be as big and bountiful as last year but I know we will get those smiles and the moment of hope in the heart of those who serve and those we serve.

Wishing u all a wonderful, happy, healthy safe, NEW YEAR!!!

Comment

It was great to meet all those that I did. Auntie Lynn, Seeking Penance, alohacandy, Kalona. I know I met more people ~ but can't remember names.

It was an honor to be part of such a great event. Looking forward to Auntie Lynn's Slippah Project.

Kalona ~ Continued prayers for provisions for Christmas of Hope. May the people that had problems ~ over look them and return with an open heart.

See everyone soon.

~*D*~

Comment

Aloha Diamond...Check you private messages for the link to the location of where we prepare the regular Saturday meals. Hope to see you again soon!

Comment

Re: KauKau Wagon Christmas of Hope 2008!

From Ms. Sharon Black.

Right now we are trying to find a way to cook 40 turkeys, and 4 cases of ham. lol We have 3 possibilities. All of which I am trying to get one confirmed. IMU, depending on how much $ and availability. 2 Smoke again depending on confirmation of availability and cost. And 3 find people to cook them. At this time that is our biggest food challenge.

I have the rolls, most pies, all the stuffing, some mashed potatoes, tight on yams, and more pans of veggies such as corn, string beans, pans of rice. Extra pies and whip cream would be great! Any kind of snacks would be great to be able to pass out in the lines to make it more comfortable for the long wait. Would love to see some candy canes passed along so bring more of the holiday spirit out.

NON FOOD ITEMS needed

We are strongly looking for clothes and foot wear. Fresh fruits especially oranges and banana's because we have many seniors who are have teeth issues. Blankets, anything warm, sweaters, jackets, socks.
                    generator, for our shave ice and pop corn maker. Also for possible music. A few extra pop up tents would be great especially with this cold rainy weather.

Dec 19th we will be doing a Christmas party for the Mayor Wrights Housing families. So far we appear to be short on volunteers, and food prep help. We could always use some gently used toys, and anything for home stuff, blankets, towels, toiletry items, etc. Snacks.
                    Any snacks would be a great plus.
                    With this event we ask that young children not join because it is more difficult to keep an eye on them and it starts at 7pm to serve, prep time will be 430 pm at our kitchen in Kalihi.

Plus we have our regular Saturdays. We may be short on volunteers for those as well. We will be prepping the food at the kitchen at 1130am and then bring it out to the park to be served at 1pm. We do this every Sat accept the last Sat of the month.

I have certified licensed therapy dogs and would really like to have some assistance on having them visit the Senior homes. But without the assurance of help we may not be able to do that. Let me know on that. We could do it on a weekday usually 10 am. I would have to call and see what they have available. Tails of Aloha is taking donations of pet food and pet items for the pets that are living with those on a fixed income and those that are homeless with pets.

Please feel free to call me at 398 6665 or e-mail me at KauKauWagon@aol.com if u can possibly assist with any of these
                    things.

Wishing u ALL a wonderful healthy, safe and Happy New Year!!!!

MAHALO
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

bumping the thread because it's that time of year and I saw something in the newspaper that the KauKau Wagon will be hosting Thanksgiving again

Comment

Working...
                      X