No announcement yet.

KauKau Wagon Thanksgiving of Hope 2008!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KauKau Wagon Thanksgiving of Hope 2008!

Originally posted by pickd View Post
    I know this sound kinda obvious, but have you contacted Dick Grimm at the Food Bank to see what they can help with? I know it's a super busy time for them but it's worth a shot.
    We go regularly to the Food Bank and have an account there from money that we raise during their Walk for Hunger. They have been very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by alohacandy View Post
      We go regularly to the Food Bank and have an account there from money that we raise during their Walk for Hunger. They have been very helpful.

When is the Walk for Hunger?

Does the Kau Kau Wagon have an Non Profit Status? Does it quailify to receive funds that are raised for the Great Aloha Run?

ALL participants of the GAR can register to raise money for non profit organizations, they have to register to do it though.

This might be something to look into ~ if it has not already been done.

Comment

The Hunger Walk is sponsored by the Hawaii Food Bank and is usually held in the summer. Here is a link to next year's walk: http://www.hawaiifoodbank.org/page4.aspx

We are a 501(3)(c) so any donations you make are tax deductible. We haven't hooked up with the Great Aloha Run as a source of fundraising yet. Thanks for the idea.

Here is a list of items that Sharon says that we still need for the Thanksgiving of Hope next Saturday, 11/29:

OK so here is our updated needs list..........
        We do have some already but could use more

HAMS - sliced and ready to serve
        Yams - ready to serve
        Mashed potatoes - ready to serve
        Stuffing - ready to serve
        Cranberry sauce
        Cold bottled water, especially for the volunteers

Non food items:
        TARPS!!!! WE NEED TARPS!!! We need popup tents! Another generator would be great! (If you know anyone who has these to lend to us for the event, let us know!)
        Tablecloths
        Serving utensils to serve the food...pie cutters, spoons, tongs,
        Gloves
        Trash bags
        Clothing
        Footwear
        Towels
        Toiletry items
        Blankets
        Books

Gift Certificates from fast food places like Mc Donalds, Burger King, Taco Bell, Zippy's, etc.

We could always use Sams or Costco gift cards to purchase items we need.

Monetary donations are very welcome! You can go by any Bank of Hawaii and make a deposit of any size in our KAU KAU WAGON donation account, or you can mail one in to....
        Bank of Hawaii
        P.O. BOX 3830
        Honolulu, Hawaii 96817

Checks should be made out to:
        KAU KAU WAGON
        Account number 0005-2823330

Comment

See everyone about 11 am tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond3121 View Post
            See everyone about 11 am tomorrow.
            Aloha diamond!
            An update on when to show up...volunteers and those dropping off items don't need to show up til between 12 and 12:30. Hope you read this before you go!

Comment

Originally posted by alohacandy View Post
              Aloha diamond!
              An update on when to show up...volunteers and those dropping off items don't need to show up til between 12 and 12:30. Hope you read this before you go!

THANKS ~ for some reason I had 11 in my head.

We just got done with our prep and are off to bed.

Comment

I'll be there at 11:00 to set up the entertainment area and secure the parking. I need help so if you want to come early, please do.

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

ahhh have fun all who are going.. I'll be thinking of you...

Sorry I can't be there, Im only flying in tomorrow night.

See ya then all
                  http://www.liftforlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1567
                  http://360.yahoo.com/legal_secretary_in_montreal2001
                  If you see it and believe it, then you can achieve it and be it

Comment

See you all this afternoon! I'll be bringing your pianist and a tray of hot mashed potatoes (hope they like roasted garlic) that I'm making!
                    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                      See you all this afternoon! I'll be bringing your pianist and a tray of hot mashed potatoes (hope they like roasted garlic) that I'm making!
                      It was great to see ya turtlgirl!

What a day. And there was a person with ISSUES. I had to remain calm and collective. My deepest apologies to Sophie. She was supposed to play. I scheduled her to play when the person was to take a break. I didn't know he was bringing his own person to play guitar on his break. I kept asking for his sister to call me to confirm plans but she never did. Anyways, the worst was yet to come. John Cruz was playing beautifully and the crowd was cheering. Everyone was enjoying the music. People were dancing, even me. Suddenly, Mr. PA System and Wanabe Entertainer pulled the plug on John Cruz. He told John "I have a gig to go to!" John smiled and told him "thank you for letting me use your equipment." I looked at from afar and silently said WTF?! and shook my head. No Class, no class at all. He left us with no music for the rest of the day. It was ok. We had too much FuN with Love and Aloha to go around. John Cruz stayed and wala'aued with us. He's humble and a real professional.

Here's some pic's from today:

Love and ALOHA,

Auntie Lynn

Comment

*looks up at aunty lynn.....relieved*

thanks aunty!!!

i am guessing for most.....flexing that one ignorant ego muscle can and will eventually lead to a path of emotional and self destruction. however i found it hillarious....at first i am one to sit back relax and observe how an individual reacts to different people at different convoluted levels....i wouldn't want that ahem anywhere near this fag. that was uncalled for. understanding how difficult it maybe for anyone to digest his arrogance....he was just PILAU for my liking.

it was also great meeting other souls from the HT ohana.

mahalo - malama pono
                        stay forever young

Comment

What a great day today !!

It was also great to meet Diamond3121 and Seeking Penance. Besides the unfortunate events dealing with the sound guy, a lot of people were fed today. It was touching to see all the smiles and appreciation that were given to volunteers. My favorite was the three little girls, no more than 8 years old, handing out roses to the women in the food line. Even some of the guys wanted a flower from these little volunteers.

I had the pleasure of handling Sharon Black's two Great Danes, Rambo and Polo, most of the time. These two dogs are licensed Therapy Dogs, and I'd walk them up and down the food line for people to pet while they waited to get served. It's so amazing how an animal can break down walls. I had great conversations with a lot of people, and absolutely no one had anything negative to say.

But most of all, my hat goes off to Sharon and all the volunteers. Everyone did a fantastic job. I seriously believe that no one does this for a pat on the back, but they do this just for an unconditional caring for their fellow man. That's why this program is so successful. I talked to a lot of "first-time" volunteers, and they were all proud to be a part of this program. Each one said they want to be involved next year, and even help out on the regular Saturdays the Kau Kau Wagon is out there.

Congrats to everyone involved for making a difference today !!

Chris
                          www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

Originally posted by DiverDown808 View Post
                            What a great day today !!

My favorite was the three little girls, no more than 8 years old, handing out roses to the women in the food line. Even some of the guys wanted a flower from these little volunteers.
                            Here's the girls:

John Cruz

Guess who? ha ha ha

Comment

John Cruz was smokin'!
                              Great you guyz had decent covers for all involved when the rains came.
                              Sorry I missed you, Aunty, but thanx for another great effort!
                              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                                John Cruz was smokin'!
                                Great you guyz had decent covers for all involved when the rains came.
                                Sorry I missed you, Aunty, but thanx for another great effort!
                                It started many years ago. Ms. Sharon Black pulling a red wagon with her two kids bringing sandwiches to feed the hungry and the homeless. The years have passed. The needs have grown, volunteers come and go. Those who come every Saturday...we are the team. Rain or shine we are there to feed our hungry friends. We don't judge, we don't preach. We smile and show them kindness and respect. I make them laugh with my comical ways dancing and singing. Most of all, I give my Love and ALOHA!

On December 27, we will be there again. Hilton Hawaiian Village decided not to do it anymore. That didn't stop Sharon Black. We will be there to serve our Christmas of HOPE at 1:00 p.m. Same place.

The Founder of KauKau Wagon ~ Ms. Sharon Black.

Lt. Gov. Duke Aiona giving blessing.

Senator Suzanne Chun Oakland.

KGMB9 http://kgmb9.com/main/content/view/11925/40/
                                Last edited by 1stwahine; November 30, 2008, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X