Monsters vs. Aliens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monsters vs. Aliens

One of the previews to Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa was for a movie called Monsters vs. Aliens an animated movie about an alien trying to invade Earth. And Earth's response is to send a bunch of monsters to fight the invasion. Of course the monsters themselves are the perfect characters for a comedy and action movie.

Opens March 2009.

Re: Monsters vs. Aliens

HERE is the trailer for it on youtube. Looks really fun, and it's going to be in 3D.

One of the appealing things to me, is that the voice of the president is going to be Stephen Colbert from the comedy channel. Thanks for the heads-up Helen.

DD
    www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

There is also a trailer of this movie at the Apple Movie Trailer site.

Sort of like the way the preview parodies the biometerics used to get to a secure room and the character of Bob (or BOB, the blue gel guy with no brain).

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
        Sort of like the way the preview parodies the biometerics used to get to a secure room and the character of Bob (or BOB, the blue gel guy with no brain).
        Is that Bob Jones?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

This LINK works better. Funny stuff, starring HT's own tutuSUSAN!

Totally low brow, Bob, and something I will enjoy!
          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

This movie opens today with 3 different viewing options. Standard 2d at all 10 first run Oahu theaters (not at the Restaurant Row 9), 3-D at the Ward, Dole, Mililani and Pearl Highlands theaters and IMAX-3D at the Dole theater.

Comment

Ahhhhhh...

...here comes... Susan...
              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Went to the 5:40 pm showing of the 2-D presentation at Dole Cannery today. It was lightly attended in one of their big screens.

I have to say I am kind of baised towards this type of movie which had a good mix of sci-fi, comedy, action, alien invasion and a bit touch of super heroing in the form of misunderstood monsters, scary on the outside but good guys inside.

Gallaxhar, the villian of the movie, had a funny but cyptic, disjointed origin and evil plan speech.

During the credits there is a scene so you might to stick around when the credits start to roll.

A fun movie to watch and more than likey I will see it again just for the fun of it.
                Last edited by helen; March 27, 2009, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Took the family on Saturday. We went to the 3-D showing. To get the 3-D glasses, you have to pay $3.50. And, you still have to give the glasses back. They had some serious inventory control going on, and the glasses proclaimed "anti-theft devices" embedded.

When I found out about the surcharge at the box office, I almost scrapped it and went to a 2-D showing instead. And while I'm still not sure I'm going to pay extra for 3-D again, I'm glad I tried it this time, just to see what the state of the technology is.

The glasses and theater were for "Tru3D" technology, the same company that did the 3-D Superbowl ads. I don't think we were dealing with the same setup, though, and these glasses were definitely not the paper blue-red glasses of yesteryear. Hard plastic, with nearly clear lenses.

I tell you what, it was pretty cool. It wasn't great, wearing glasses over my glasses, but for the most part once I was "in 3-D," it was seamless and natural. There were some big show-off set pieces in the movie, including an incredible Golden Gate bridge sequence, but even in quieter moments, sensing depth to the picture was a very nice touch.

The story was okay, the jokes got some good laughs, and the voice talent was great. (Seth Rogen isn't half as grating when you only hear him.) There's all kinds of classic sci-fi sendups to catch, if you're a fan of the genre, and a good "girl power" theme that makes this a good movie for both genders. As a complete package, it was a great outing for my family.

My wallet's aching (to the tune of over $80 for a %@#$ matinee, but I enjoyed it.

It's obvious that the movie industry thinks 3-D might be one way to keep people coming out to see films, as more and more of us have passable movie setups at home. I think it might work... but not at $3-5 a pop for glasses.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                    I don't think we were dealing with the same setup, though, and these glasses were definitely not the paper blue-red glasses of yesteryear. Hard plastic, with nearly clear lenses.
                    The good ones use two polarized lenses turned at 90° to each other. This allows each eye to see it's own image from a common screen.

I worked a slide show back in very early 80's. It was our slide projectors, but he had us add a filter to the front of each. We looked at slides shot with a 1950's 3D camera. Every bit as good as the old ViewMaster we played with as kids.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                      I don't think we were dealing with the same setup, though
                      You're right, it's not the same technology. Theaters use two projectors with each one projecting polarized light rotated 90° from the other. The lenses on the glasses are also polarized, again rotated 90° from each other.

What all that means is each eye sees a different high-quality full-color image. It's easily the best 3D effect you can create today and far better than anything you can get at home (yet).

I went to see it in IMAX 3D at Dole Cannery. I've noticed that 3D tends to make the screen look small, so I wanted to see it on the largest screen I could. It was only $1 more than a standard IMAX movie, so it was easily worth it.

Comment

For the less techie, chick-point-of-view review, continue to read:

Let's just say that this movie has so much in it for parents that I was laughing my butt off so loud that my girls were looking at each other and rolling their eyes. We made a family outing of this, taking in the 2-D version at Koko Marina. The theatre filled up fairly well, and, since it's our neighborhood, we knew a lot of the families and the kids went to school at Koko Head with our girls.

The whole movie was an homage to old Sci-Fi flicks, from the 50s into the 70s. I will now fantasize about being Susan, loaded with quantonium and will use my powers for good. I was actually grateful that POTUS was white, but that's just an aside. He plays a mean electric piano.

The movie is a hoot. It is, as I tweeted last night, the wackiest movie I've ever seen. Take the kids, let them think you're seeing it for them. They'll enjoy it immensely. But let's face it. Baby Boomers will be cracking up for hours, days, weeks and months until they can by it on Blu-Ray or whatever the heck that techie stuff is.
                        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Albert and I attended the 3D version today at Ward. I really do like the character of Bob and his scenes with him trying to "pick up" the Jello is funny.

This time around I was really paying attenion to Gallaxhar's master plan speech and then I came to realize it's truely a parody of that plot element.

Comment

As with "Bolt", I think the real star of this film is the 3-D process itself.

I wish someone would make an "ordinary" film using it (not a Valentine horror flick).

Or even a really good animated one. Hasn't happened yet.

Comment

Working...
                            X