Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Obama Administration Takes Shape

Cool Obama Administration Takes Shape

Well by now, many of you have heard that Illinois Congressman Rahm Emanuel has been named President-elect Obama’s chief of staff. An interesting choice, considering Obama’s campaign mantra of bringing change in the spirit of bipartisanship to Washington, D.C.

Apparently, Obama’s transition team is moving on the fast track in its quest to name cabinet posts in an expedient fashion. Yesterday, the blogosphere lit up as pundits speculated Hillary Clinton would be named Secretary of State, after her secret service entourage was spotted in Chicago. Today, the Associated Press tamped down that prospect, putting forth that frequently-mentioned cabinet possibility Bill Richardson was also at Obama’s transition office for a “closed-door meeting.” Thoughts?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Default Re: Obama Administration Takes Shape

Quote Originally Posted by TuNnL View Post
    Well by now, many of you have heard that Illinois Congressman Rahm Emanuel has been named President-elect Obama’s chief of staff. An interesting choice, considering Obama’s campaign mantra of bringing change in the spirit of bipartisanship to Washington, D.C.
    I think Pres. Obama's willingness to consider retaining Robert Gates as the Secretary of Defense and possibly asking Colin Powell to be the Secretary of Education are more than ample signs that Obama is willing to incorporate non-Democrats into his administration.

As far as having Rahm Emanuel as the Chief of Staff,.... a tough, hard-nosed, and extremely loyal individual is a necessity in that position. You need to keep in mind that the Chief of Staff is not a member of the cabinet. His appointment by the President is not confirmed by Congress. The Chief of Staff works for the President's interests,.... PERIOD. Not for Congress. Not for either political party. Only the President. This is why the Chief of Staff is often referred to as the President's right-hand man or gatekeeper. They pretty much decide who gets an audience with the President and who doesn't. It is also why very powerful Chiefs of Staff are, in effect, the second most powerful individual in Washington DC. The vice-president is constitutionally the next-in-line for succession should anything happen to the President. But while the President is alive and well, it is his Chief of Staff that has historically wielded more power and influence over anyone else, including the Vice President and the cabinet members. Make no mistake about that.

The Chief of Staff position is not the place for the President to showcase a spirit of bipartisanship. You need to brush up on your civics if you think otherwise.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Rahm is reviled by both republicans and democrats, so there is some bi-partisanship there.

Bill Richardson was also at Obama’s transition office for a “closed-door meeting.” Thoughts?
    Still too early in the game to make any assessments. I think Obama should be held accountable for his promises.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

This will probably show my political ignorance but I don't care who Obama picks for his administration, be they old or new, republican or democrat, as long as they are the BEST available wo/men for the jobs.

And, yes, timkona, I realize you consider me politically ignorant for even voting for Obama!

Rahm Emanuel has been named President-elect Obama’s chief of staff. An interesting choice, considering Obama’s campaign mantra of bringing change in the spirit of bipartisanship to Washington, D.C.
    Change comes from the top guy, not his underlings. The load is on Obama to gradually make the changes and institute his 'promises'. I'm willing to give him leeway on his promises and campaigned proposals, as he needed to say some things just to stay in the running towards getting elected, and then once in he will show his true colors, which I think will pan out well. His BSing isn't the same as Bush's obvious lying, which we knew he didn't mean and would then go down the lowest roads possible once he got in.

.................................................. ........ *rolls eyes*
    Last edited by Seeking Penance; November 15th, 2008 at 11:38 AM. Reason: just cause
    stay forever young

Quote Originally Posted by Seeking Penance View Post
    *rolls eyes*
    li dis?

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

*holds up mccain sign*
    stay forever young

Quote Originally Posted by matapule View Post
    li dis?
    Very cool, matapule! I can actually do that IRL...

*holds up mccain sign*
    li dis?

Last edited by matapule; November 15th, 2008 at 12:41 PM. Reason: to please Bob Jones

*holds up mccain sign*
    mo li dis!

mo li dis!

...........................................*laughs *
    stay forever young

Talking Re: Obama Administration Takes Shape

Yesterday, the blogosphere lit up as pundits speculated Hillary Clinton would be named Secretary of State, ... Thoughts?
    Bill Clinton's version of Home Alone ... or is it Risky Business?
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Hillary could be jetting all around the world. So when the cat's away ................

Quote Originally Posted by oceanpacific View Post
    Hillary could be jetting all around the world. So when the cat's away ................
    As if Bill has been staying put in DC all the time that Hillary has been at Capitol Hill.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Oh, poop! I posted in the wrong thread! <DELETE>!!!

Lightbulb Re: Obama Administration Takes Shape

Yesterday, the blogosphere lit up as pundits speculated Hillary Clinton would be named Secretary of State, ... Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Bill Clinton's version of Home Alone ... or is it Risky Business?
    Either way, if you believe Fox News’ Wendell Goler, it appears Clinton’s selection as secretary of state is all but a done deal. Also interesting in Goler’s report is how Republicans and hawks are praising Obama’s national security team, while anti-war Democrats are “alarmed” at the overwhelming percentage of “Washington insiders” among the names being considered.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Also interesting in Goler’s report is how Republicans and hawks are praising Obama’s national security team, while anti-war Democrats are “alarmed” at the overwhelming percentage of “Washington insiders” among the names being considered.
    I think it is too early to tell. I think Obama has all kinds of tricks up his sleeve, and only time will tell. I am an anti Mid East war critic, but I am not willing to criticize Obama's choices yet. If he screws up, I will be the first on HT to criticize.

Will any of the appointees be a pidgin speaking bugga?

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    Oh, poop! I posted in the wrong thread! <DELETE>!!!
    Can I quote you on this?
    (Exit: Stage Right)

Lightbulb Re: Obama Administration Takes Shape

I think it is too early to tell. I think Obama has all kinds of tricks up his sleeve, and only time will tell. I am an anti Mid East war critic, but I am not willing to criticize Obama's choices yet. If he screws up, I will be the first on HT to criticize.
    Hmmmm...as the appointments continue to be announced, it appears the message of “change” is all but absent from Obama’s cabinet wish list. It seems the overwhelming message is: Washington insiders only — n00bs need not apply. I want to give Obama the benefit of the doubt, but it gets harder every day.

USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

it appears the message of “change” is all but absent from Obama’s cabinet wish list. It seems the overwhelming message is: Washington insiders only — n00bs need not apply.
    Can you give me someone specific you would like him to appoint? Or do you just want to criticize anyone he appoints?

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Quote Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    Will any of the appointees be a pidgin speaking bugga?
    I don't think Pidgin was allowed at Punahou Thus...
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Hmmmm...as the appointments continue to be announced[/URL], it appears the message of “change” is all but absent from Obama’s cabinet wish list.
    So, rather than ending up with a third Bush term, will we end up with a third Clinton term?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast