Thread: Movie going vs movie reviewing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Movie going vs movie reviewing

For quite some time now I have been noticing that some users tend to think of the Big Picture sub forum as a place to review movies to see how other users like a movie or not, other users tend to use this same forum as a place to say that they saw a movie, compare notes to what happened in a movie.

I tend to be movie goer as opposed to be a movie reviewer but I would like to think that this forum can handle both kinds of users here.

Comments?

Default Re: Movie going vs movie reviewing

I thought this sub forum was for all things movie related...reviews, questions, comparisons, whatever. I don't see any reason for someone to post that s/he saw a movie and leave it at that! There should be some dialogue about it. That said, I'm not much of a movie goer or a movie reviewer!

From this thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by helen View Post
    [...]I am not a movie reviewer, sure I might write that I enjoyed or didn't enjoy a movie but it's only my opinion.
    [...]
    If you feel you the need to comment about the second point please use this thread to do so [...]
    (Good grief, Helen, you're making this toggling back and forth between threads stuff laborious!!!)

Anyway...remember, Helen, even a review by a professional reviewer is just that person's opinion. "Art" is in the eye of the beholder. Your opinion in HT is just as valid. So, don't hold back!

The Movie Going Experience is a trailer for a given movie that caught my attention though a trailer does give way waaay too much of the good stuff and the movie overall can be 50/50. Word of Mouth is another factor that ties into "Movie Going" IMO......... As for Movie Reviewing I really don't pay attention but open to their opinion of what was seen. I write reviews thru my NetFlix Account and touch up on what I saw and try not to give away the good stuff if there is one and cut to the chase and say if i liked it or NOT.

My issue here is that I am kind of tolerant of what I watch and while I might make comments of noticing a movie's plot holes it doesn't mean that I hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    but refrained from making any comments since they were negative. Wanted to give others who liked it a chance put in their 2 cents first.
    I think I know how you feel. A case in point is Hellboy II: The Golden Army. I have to admit that Albert and I tend to keep a mental list of movies that we would like to see in advance (sometimes as far ahead as 4 to 6 months) and Hellboy II wasn't on my list of movies to see due to I never seen the first one. However on one fine Saturday late morning in July as we rode the escalator to the Ward ticket office Albert suggested to see Hellboy II.

I even asked why and his reply was that some reviewer recommended the movie. So I figure I keep an open mind and go watch Hellboy II, at least this movie is in the genre I might have gone to (also I can't remember which movie we had planned to see that day). Well it turns that Albert walks out from the movie and I felt the movie was slow in places, we posted our experiences on this sub-forum and noticed that one person was planning on going but seemed to be turned off by it because of what we posted.

I do feel kind of bad about that incident, here is one person looking forward to see a movie and gets put off by a couple of yahoos who at the last minute decided to see a movie based on someone's elses recommendation that they didn't know.

It was never my intention or my duty to warn or recommend movies to other people and I know some people are not happy with my "just going to a movie" type of posting.