Movie going vs movie reviewing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movie going vs movie reviewing

For quite some time now I have been noticing that some users tend to think of the Big Picture sub forum as a place to review movies to see how other users like a movie or not, other users tend to use this same forum as a place to say that they saw a movie, compare notes to what happened in a movie.

I tend to be movie goer as opposed to be a movie reviewer but I would like to think that this forum can handle both kinds of users here.

Comments?

Re: Movie going vs movie reviewing

I thought this sub forum was for all things movie related...reviews, questions, comparisons, whatever. I don't see any reason for someone to post that s/he saw a movie and leave it at that! There should be some dialogue about it. That said, I'm not much of a movie goer or a movie reviewer!

Comment

From this thread:
      Originally posted by helen View Post
      [...]I am not a movie reviewer, sure I might write that I enjoyed or didn't enjoy a movie but it's only my opinion.
      [...]
      If you feel you the need to comment about the second point please use this thread to do so [...]
      (Good grief, Helen, you're making this toggling back and forth between threads stuff laborious!!!)

Anyway...remember, Helen, even a review by a professional reviewer is just that person's opinion. "Art" is in the eye of the beholder. Your opinion in HT is just as valid. So, don't hold back!

Comment

The Movie Going Experience is a trailer for a given movie that caught my attention though a trailer does give way waaay too much of the good stuff and the movie overall can be 50/50. Word of Mouth is another factor that ties into "Movie Going" IMO......... As for Movie Reviewing I really don't pay attention but open to their opinion of what was seen. I write reviews thru my NetFlix Account and touch up on what I saw and try not to give away the good stuff if there is one and cut to the chase and say if i liked it or NOT.

Comment

My issue here is that I am kind of tolerant of what I watch and while I might make comments of noticing a movie's plot holes it doesn't mean that I hate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            but refrained from making any comments since they were negative. Wanted to give others who liked it a chance put in their 2 cents first.
            I think I know how you feel. A case in point is Hellboy II: The Golden Army. I have to admit that Albert and I tend to keep a mental list of movies that we would like to see in advance (sometimes as far ahead as 4 to 6 months) and Hellboy II wasn't on my list of movies to see due to I never seen the first one. However on one fine Saturday late morning in July as we rode the escalator to the Ward ticket office Albert suggested to see Hellboy II.

I even asked why and his reply was that some reviewer recommended the movie. So I figure I keep an open mind and go watch Hellboy II, at least this movie is in the genre I might have gone to (also I can't remember which movie we had planned to see that day). Well it turns that Albert walks out from the movie and I felt the movie was slow in places, we posted our experiences on this sub-forum and noticed that one person was planning on going but seemed to be turned off by it because of what we posted.

I do feel kind of bad about that incident, here is one person looking forward to see a movie and gets put off by a couple of yahoos who at the last minute decided to see a movie based on someone's elses recommendation that they didn't know.

It was never my intention or my duty to warn or recommend movies to other people and I know some people are not happy with my "just going to a movie" type of posting.

Comment

Helen, your opinion and review of a movie are just that...yours. Speaking for myself only, what you or anyone else has to say about it won't affect whether or not I see it. Remember, there are people who make money, sometimes big money, reviewing movies. All they can do is talk about it from their various points of view. What they like, I may hate...and vice versa. They're doing the same thing you're doing...reviewing. I doubt they even give a thought as to whether or not their reviews stop people from seeing a movie. I think it's sweet that you care that much but, really, if someone misses a movie because of something you write well, that's their problem, not yours!

I'm not unhappy about your "just going to a movie" type of posting. I just don't see the point in someone announcing s/he saw such and such movie and leave it at that. But, I feel that way about the breakfast, lunch and dinner threads, too, even tho' I've participated in them. I usually don't read those threads unless I see that cynsalagia has posted.

Comment

I certainly appreciate any and all comments in review. I'd rather spend 60 minutes reading 100 reviews than 90 minutes seeing one bad movie. As long as some rationale is provided, I can usually find value in reading a review. Reading a list of what someone has watched (or eaten, or done) without further comment has no value to me at all.
                May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

I think I can understand people wanting to know when a great movie is around so they can see it and also wanting to know when a really bad movie is out to avoid it, but what happens when one sees an average movie, should that be not posted?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                    [...]but what happens when one sees an average movie, should that be not posted?
                    Helen, reread this thread. Seriously. You're reading something into it that's not there. At the risk of redundancy...your opinion and review of a movie is just as valuable as anyone else's. No one has limited movies to good and bad. Remember, that judgement is in the eye of the beholder.

Comment

Films are the primary storytelling literature of modern times, and therefore worth every bit of commentary and analysis and discussion. There is nothing wrong with viewing things with a critical eye. It's good for your brain.
                      Burl Burlingame
                      "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                      honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Working...
                      X