Thanksgiving 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanksgiving 2008

What are your plans this year? Just inviting close family members, keeping it simple and stress free? Or inviting a big 'ol gang, everyone welcome, dirty up the carpet, free for all of happy hungry guests? Pot luck? Going somewhere else (you can be the hungry guest)?

Our family is deciding just how big, or small, to keep it this year. There are pros and cons to both choices.

The teens only seem to care that the younger kids don't interfer with the video games, while the adults cook all day.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Re: Thanksgiving 2008

Eldest spawn will be in town and we're joining friends for brunch that day. That'll pretty much take care of our appetites until Friday morning! I've ordered one of those supermarket, full turkey dinners so that we have "leftovers" to pick on for a few days. If we decide to join other friends later in the day we'll take part of our turkey dinner with us as our contribution to the potluck. Can you tell we're covering all our bases while attempting to remain spontaneous?!

Comment

we always celebrate the day before and i do ALL the cooking. don't mind though. there's only enough room for one cook in the kitchen. not really, but i don't like too many hands and people getting in the way.
      "chaos reigns within.
      reflect, repent and reboot.
      order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Awww! In Los Angeles my union would always do a big Thanksgiving feast. It was sooo nice for my first two years in LA, hanging out with other actors who were also far from home. I volunteered to cook one year, too, and it was a ton of fun. (But the serving of food always went to the big-name actors). I always thought that was sooo thoughtful of them!

Has anyone noticed that your oven will work 364 days out of the year, but come Thanksgiving it suddenly decides to crap out!?!?
        ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
          Awww! In Los Angeles my union would always do a big Thanksgiving feast. It was sooo nice for my first two years in LA, hanging out with other actors who were also far from home. I volunteered to cook one year, too, and it was a ton of fun. (But the serving of food always went to the big-name actors). I always thought that was sooo thoughtful of them!
          That's cool, TG. That doesn't happen here with the local branch.
          Has anyone noticed that your oven will work 364 days out of the year, but come Thanksgiving it suddenly decides to crap out!?!?
          Don't even get me started on the rolling blackouts after Hurricane Iwa, Nov. 1982!

Comment

Thanksgiving is at a relative's house so the guests (including me) just have to make potluck dishes and she makes the turkey This year it seems that turkey breasts (especially stuffed turkey breasts) as opposed to whole turkeys are very popular, at least on foodtv. But, if we make only the turkey breast, how are we supposed to make jook for later?

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post

good thing we celebrate on the eve.

p.s. had a couple of power outages this evening. just flickers and it came back on in no time. the winds are raging on this side of the island.
              "chaos reigns within.
              reflect, repent and reboot.
              order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

We have a tradition.

Every year, we go to my nephew and wife's hale in Waipahu. Everyone brings their favorite dish and dessert. So many delicious kaukau but the main course is da Turkey and Stuffing. Plus, da glazed Farmer John Ham.

We wala'au, play silly games, watch movies and do what Ohana do.

The war in Iraq has taken many of our loved ones away from us during the holiday season. Once again, several will be missed. But we cherish the moments together especially, on Thanksgiving Day.

I am thankful to have been born in AMERICA. I am thankful to have MAMA. I am thankful to have three wonderful children and grandchildren. I am thankful to have a husband who love me for me. hehehehe I am thankful for HawaiiThreads.com, Twitter.com, AuntiePupule.com and all the Internet Places I am a member of. I am most thankful for loving the God I believe in. For without him, I wouldn't be here.

Happy Thanksgiving

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

This year we got invited to a joint feast in our neighborhood. Since it's mostly single military (and then us with no kids), just a bunch of us with no family around.

Last year was the first year Jason and I lived in our house and we had our new oven rocking- the oven, the convection microwave, and the slide out drawer underneath, which is also an oven. It tripped the breaker three times before we decided the lower oven had to wait. But it was just the two of us, so it didn't matter. We made WAY to much food. Our friends had a blast coming over and forging for leftovers.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

This will be my first Thanksgiving in Hawaii, and my first one not spent with either of my parents (watch me go a little misty eyed). I'll be going with my Aunt and Uncle to one of the cousin's houses for Thanksgiving. I'm not sure which cousin, as I'm still not entirely sure I even know all of my cousins here yet (actually I'm pretty sure I don't). And I really have no clue what to expect.
                    Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                    Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

hhhhmmm considering It'll be my first thanksgiving without my immediate family near - while everyone else is back home in San Francisco and New York - I'll....treat myself to an ono turkey meal and spend it at the beach
                      stay forever young

Comment

We're going to take our boat, ALOHA, out into the islands of the Sea of Cortez, just the uaifi and me, for 4 or 5 days of cruising among the whales, mantas, and sea turtles. Although we have a nice convection oven aboard, da uaifi say no cooka da bird. So we'll probably have turkey wraps and tater salad (2 scoop) instead. It's all good!

scan0001.jpg
                        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                          We're going to take our boat, ALOHA, out into the islands of the Sea of Cortez, just the uaifi and me, for 4 or 5 days of cruising among the whales, mantas, and sea turtles.
                          I heard from friends last week that the water temp in the Sea of Cortez is higher than normal. Take a swim for me, please! And you should have lots of company, as the annual Baja Ha-Ha rally just ended. About 140 boats, as I recall, went from San Diego to Cabo, with a couple of stops along the way, and now the boats are starting to disperse to Puerto Vallarta, La Paz, Z-town and all the other usual spots. I know you used to be a sailor before switching to your lovely Willard 40 trawler, so maybe you can get some sailing in with some of the cruisers.
                          Oh, and remember that Mexico is currently not allowing the transport of meat from the U.S. across the border.
                          Anyway... have fun! Take photos for us, k?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                            I heard from friends last week that the water temp in the Sea of Cortez is higher than normal. Take a swim for me, please!
                            How does 80F water temp sound to you?

And you should have lots of company, as the annual Baja Ha-Ha rally just ended. About 140 boats, as I recall, went from San Diego to Cabo, with a couple of stops along the way, and now the boats are starting to disperse to Puerto Vallarta, La Paz, Z-town and all the other usual spots.
                            Yup, been there, done that. We brought ALOHA down with the Ha Ha two years ago - 160 boats. We are currently homeported in La Paz. I am not usually a "rally" kind of guy, but this was totally fun. ALOHA has the distinction of being the first power boat on the Ha Ha to cross the finish line under sail. We cut the engine and put up the headsail and cruised across at about 2 or 3 knots! It didn't amount to much since we WERE the first boat to cross the finish line and no one was around to see it!

I know you used to be a sailor before switching to your lovely Willard 40 trawler, so maybe you can get some sailing in with some of the cruisers.
                            Most of the sailors wives want to jump ship and cruise aboard ALOHA!

I used to bum rides with the cruisers when they passed through Tonga. I could guide them through the reefs and show them all the secret spots. For going to work in Tonga, we had a 16 foot open boat with a 3hp Seagull to take us from island to island within the lagoon. The boat belonged to Fakatulolo, my noble. He was a great guy who was castrated as a result of a bad case of elephantaisis and was also cross eyed. Ahhhh, those were the days!

Oh, and remember that Mexico is currently not allowing the transport of meat from the U.S. across the border.
                            Yup, aware of that but doesn't affect us cause were already here. Wait a couple of months, it will all change.

Happy Thanksgiving!
                            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Well, the last few years, we've had the store-bought "feast". but I didn't like it. Too many sides that didn't fit our tastes/desires, such as not enough stuffing, wrong kind of potatoes, etc. Last year we didn't even have turkey (well, I fixed a tiny breast for myself), because my husband and son don't love white meat turkey (I prefer the dark myself). I think I fixed a ham. THIS year, as I find it almost deplorable to not have turkey on Thanksgiving, I bought parts--mostly thighs, drumsticks, and a package of wings--and they are frozen. I will pop them into the fridge next week and get them defrosted, then cook them in a bed of stuffing on Thursday, along with the sides that we love...Plenty of veggies, and don't forget the PIES for dessert! Then on Friday, we are celebrating with our next door neighbors, who are like family to us. They are having a huge amount of family on Friday, and we're included, so I will be making a couple of things to take there, too. I like it that we just walk over--if I forget something, I can run home! It will be a wonderful time because we will be with our loved ones. I thank the Lord every day for my wonderful family, and mostly for Him, who has blessed us beyond belief.

Comment

Working...
                              X