X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lenient state judges

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    Can't prove a negative.
    *Sigh!* Seems like you're obsessed with getting in the last say in this discussion, even if it has to be over semantics. If that is the case, then revel in your little victory. I won't bother responding if you have nothing more to say on the substance of the topic.
    Last edited by Frankie's Market; December 4, 2008, 07:05 AM.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

post deleted. duplicate posting.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

That guy who stole copper got a 10 years sentence.

Comment

Oh. My GAWD! Did you see or hear this story today? :

City Prosecutor Peter Carlisle lashed out today at a state judge's decision allowing convicted child abuser Rita Makekau to remain out of prison while an appeal of the case is pursued.
          Makekau, 52, pleaded no contest in October to eight counts of assaulting children in what prosecutors called a "house of torture" on the Leeward Oahu coast.
          Circuit Judge Virginia Crandall sentenced Makekau last month to five years in prison but this morning delayed imposition of the sentence while Makekau appeals the case on the grounds that state courts have no jurisdiction over her because she is a Native Hawaiian.
          Makekau calls herself "her Highness Rita Kulamika Makekau, Royal Minister of Foreign Affairs for the Hawaiian Kingdom Government," a sovereignty group which has been protesting since May on the grounds of Iolani Place, questioning the authority of state and federal governments in Hawaii.
          "No matter what you think about sovereignty, that is not a meritorious (appellate) claim," Carlisle said in an afternoon press conference.
          "The Supreme Court is perfectly aware of that, as should be Circuit Court judges," Carlisle continued. "Why are we delaying the inevitable?"
          He said his office may file a motion for Crandall to reconsider her decision or it may seek an expedited appeal of the case.
          (...)
          Carlisle spoke of Makekau's physical abuse of her five nieces and nephews, noting that, among other things, she had broken and chipped the children's teeth by hitting them with a hammer. Sometimes the children were fed "dog food from a bowl" and one boy was forced to sleep under the house with dogs, bugs and vermin, Carlisle said.
          Carlisle said Makekau "laughed" when she abused the children, who are now aged between 18 and 10 years old and living in foster homes.
          The defendant doesn't deserve "an ounce of leniency and should have been sent to jail as is required by Hawaii law," the prosecutor said.
          Collete Dhakwha, a court-appointed attorney who represents the legal interests of the children, said she reached four of the children by telephone this afternoon to tell them what the judge had decided.
          "They yelled. They were angry and disappointed," she said. "There was some profanity. One of them said it was 'unfair.' Another said, 'the court system doesn't work,'" said Dhakwha.
          Dhakwha said she arrived at court this morning shortly after 11 a.m., when the hearing was scheduled to begin, only to learn that it was already over because Judge Crandall had changed the schedule.
          When Dhakwha, a former prosecutor, learned of Crandall's ruling, "I was livid," she said. "I was just beside myself."
          Two state social workers who work with the children also missed the hearing, said Dhakwha.
          (...)
          Carlisle's office had asked Crandall last month to sentence Makekau, an unemployed truck driver, to 41 years in prison.
          Crandall called Makekau's behavior "unacceptable" and sentenced her to five years behind bars.
          Also convicted in the case were Barbara and Gabriel Kalama, Makekau's daughter and son-in-law.
          Gabriel Kalama, 31, pleaded no contest in August to two counts of second-degree assault and five counts of abuse of a family member.
          Barbara Kalama, 28, pleaded guilty to one count of first-degree child endangerment and six counts of abuse of a family member.
          Crandall sentenced each of them last month to five years of probation.

I'm sorry for posting so much of that article, but I am OUTRAGED!!! Judge Crandall should be removed from the bench immediately and disbarred forever.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            I'm sorry for posting so much of that article, but I am OUTRAGED!!! Judge Crandall should be removed from the bench immediately and disbarred forever.
            IMNSHO, Virginia needs a spanking.

Then again, she might be into S&M.

I'm wondering why I didn't hear other Hawaiian sovereignty groups publicly denouncing her group, branding her a tyrant and harmful to the future of the Hawaiians (namely the children).
            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Hey Random, the reason you don't hear the outcry is exactly the same reason you don't hear Muslims condemning cafe bombers.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com
              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Today's Star-Bulletin has this story on the same matter, but with additional info about what that satanic woman did to the children:

"Makekau allegedly shoved a broomstick down their throats, held them underwater in the bathtub, pushed them down the stairs and held their hands over a hot stove."

Makekau pled no contest to all the charges, yet she is still out on the street?!??

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                  Hey Random, the reason you don't hear the outcry is exactly the same reason you don't hear Muslims condemning cafe bombers.
                  Are you saying that Random is hard of hearing? That's the only point I can see, since I DO hear the outcry from both groups.
                  May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                    the reason you don't hear the outcry is exactly the same reason you don't hear Muslims condemning cafe bombers.
                    The reason you don't hear is because you are not listening.
                    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

"No matter what you think about sovereignty, that is not a meritorious (appellate) claim," Carlisle said in an afternoon press conference.

"The Supreme Court is perfectly aware of that, as should be Circuit Court judges," Carlisle continued. "Why are we delaying the inevitable?"
                      Sums it up for me. This is ridiculous.

Comment

Decided to revive this thread to focus on Judge David Ezra.

Oh yes, I know that he is a federal (not a state) judge. But since he is a federal judge whose rulings very much concerns this state, I will make room for an examination of his conduct in this thread.

Judge Ezra makes the headlines for doling out a relatively light sentence to a drug kingpin who intended to distribute at least 80 pounds of methamphetamine: 12 years in federal prison, 3 of which have already been served.

http://www.starbulletin.com/news/200...s_a_break.html

Other judges have imposed sentences of 25-35 years in prison, for just one count of dealing methamphetamine. Seems like Judge Ezra is going easy on a criminal whose far-reaching activities have torn up the very fabric of our island society. Shame on him!

But I'm not surprised. After all, this is the same judge who spared former Local 5 and Unity House chief Tony Rutledge from serving any prison time and gave him 3 years probation for a felony tax charge. Hmmmm.

Comment

Kudos and jeers on the case of Carl Cornelle Jr.

First of all, kudos to judge Steven Alm for sentencing Cornelle (convicted of 1st degree negligent homicide in the 1999 traffic death of Arlene Miske) to 10 years in prison. Alm did what no previous judge in this case has done: Give Cornelle the maximum sentence allowed.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...+gets+10+years

OTOH, jeers to the previous judges who were lenient and gave Cornelle probation. It was probation, as it turned out, that Cornelle would be undeserving of as he proceeded to violate the terms FIVE times.

Among the judges that belong in the hall of shame, now-retired judge Gail Nakatani.

http://archives.starbulletin.com/200...s/story16.html

And making yet another appearance on this thread, the "Honorable" Richard Perkins.

http://archives.starbulletin.com/200...s/story03.html

Comment

Hey there, Judge Elizabeth Strance! You are the latest addition to the lenient judge hall of shame.

Judge Strance reduced the 10 year prison sentence of Dana-Nicole Ellisor to a mere 18 months. Ellisor was given the original sentence after a DUI accident that killed Christina Galutira and injured 2 other people after her car crossed the center line on Ka'ahumanu Hwy. at Kona.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...duced-sentence

What seperates this particular incident from your garden variety DUI fatalities is that Miss Ellisor was involved in a prior DUI crash just SIX WEEKS before the deadly accident.

I don't care how "remorseful" Ellisor is and how great a model prisoner she might have been. That is way too short a prison sentence to serve for a 2 time DUI offender who is responsible for the death of an innocent victim.

Oh well! Although I disagree with the judge's decision for the early release, I hope that Ellisor continues her model behavior outside of prison and proves herself deserving of the leniency she has been given. But I would hope that as a term of her probation, Judge Strance will have enough common sense (something that can't be taken for granted with state judges these days) to order Ellisor to stay clear of any alcohol/drug use. Make it zero tolerance, judge. One violation and boom! Back in the slamma.

And oh yes! Lifetime license revocation for Ellisor, no matter how long Ellisor stays alcohol free. I dare her or any of her supporters to complain about that after the mercy she has been shown.

Comment

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,3679452.story

How about this judge?

Comment

Long I have believed that our judicial system was not only corrupt, but also corrupted, as any element exposed to the elements would be.

We place our "TRUST" in the hands of old men (and old women), former lawyers (even worse), who have prejudices, trigger points, and "absolute power" (within the guidelines of law), to 'do as they will,' to mete 'justice,' often arbitrarily.

Although they work within guidelines, evidently something is wrong. The system is flawed, perhaps outdated.

Leniency is dealt to career criminals while first offenders (because of naivete) get maximum punishment.

Sorry, I have no answers short of revolution, because no one upstairs is listening. I'm tired of form letters from Inoue and Akaka. (Although Inoue wrote me a non-form letter recently in which he said he wanted to outlaw all semi-automatic weapons in civilian hands! Then ending it with his promise to support second-amendment rights! I think he's overdue for a brain safety inspection!)

Seriously:

Just as we are required to submit our automobiles to undergo an annual safety inspection, shouldn't we also require all of our representatives and judges to undergo an annual sanity inspection?

Where has justice gone?
                                I am terrified at the freedoms we are losing.
                                Last edited by Kaonohi; August 12, 2009, 10:35 PM. Reason: WTF, over.
                                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                                ~ ~
                                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                                X