• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lenient state judges

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    And this Judge!

And this relatively old news.

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
    Long I have believed that our judicial system was not only corrupt, but also corrupted, as any element exposed to the elements would be.
    They are for sale

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
    Just as we are required to submit our automobiles to undergo an annual safety inspection, shouldn't we also require all of our representatives and judges to undergo an annual sanity inspection?
    Agreed. I believe we also need more of these.

Comment

Steve Alm is a role model to all. He's my only salvation in the system.

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
        Steve Alm is a role model to all..
        I concur with your opinion re: Judge Alm!

I'm beginning to think that perhaps we need tribunals to decide non-jury trials and to impose sentences. If more and more judges are going to act like renegades and cowboys, then maybe it is time to take away the very powerful and important responsibility of adjudicating cases from a single person.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Federal judge David Ezra gets criticized (along with US attorney Ed Kubo) by an appeals court judge for his handling of a 2007 criminal trial, overturning his ruling.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...t+at++07+trial

A federal appeals court has sharply criticized the conduct of a federal prosecutor in a 2007 criminal trial here of a man charged with assaulting military police officers at Mokule'ia.

Gentler criticism was also leveled in the same opinion at the defense attorney and judge involved in the case.

"Everyone could have done more to protect defendant's rights at trial," said the opening sentence of the opinion, written this week by Alex Kozinski, Chief Judge of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

The ruling overturned the conviction of Rex Harrison on one of two counts of assault and vacated his sentence of two years in prison, and ordered that the case be returned to U.S. District Judge David Ezra for resentencing.

The judge also found fault with the defense lawyer and Ezra.

"Indeed, everyone involved could have done better," said Kozinski.

"The defense attorney should have objected as soon as he saw the prosecutors step out of line. And the respected and experienced district judge should not have tolerated this protracted exhibition of unprofessional conduct."

Ezra declined comment.

Ha! Take that, Judge Ezra.

What I would like to know is how higher court judges would view Ezra's lenient sentencing of Tony Rutledge.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Re: Lenient state judges, et. al.

I'm not certain if this BLOG fits here. If it does, absorb it, if not, give me hell.

FWIW:

545 vs 300,000,000

EVERY CITIZEN NEEDS TO READ THIS AND THINK ABOUT WHAT THIS JOURNALIST HAS SCRIPTED IN THIS MESSAGE. READ IT AND THEN REALLY THINK ABOUT OUR CURRENT POLITICAL DEBACLE.
            Charley Reese has been a journalist for 49 years..

545 PEOPLE

By Charlie Reese
            Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them.
            Have you ever wondered, if both the Democrats and the Republicans are against deficits, WHY do we have deficits?
            Have you ever wondered, if all the politicians are against inflation and high taxes, WHY do we have inflation and high taxes?
            You and I don't propose a federal budget. The president does.
            You and I don't have the Constitutional authority to vote on appropriations. The House of Representatives does.
            You and I don't write the tax code, Congress does.
            You and I don't set fiscal policy, Congress does.
            You and I don't control monetary policy, the Federal Reserve Bank does.
            One hundred senators, 435 congressmen, one president, and nine Supreme Court justices equates to 545 human beings out of the 300 million are directly, legally, morally, and individually responsible for the domestic problems that plague this country.
            I excluded the members of the Federal Reserve Board because that problem was created by the Congress. In 1913, Congress delegated its Constitutional duty to provide a sound currency to a federally chartered, but private, central bank.
            I excluded all the special interests and lobbyists for a sound reason.. They have no legal authority. They have no ability to coerce a senator, a congressman, or a president to do one cotton-picking thing. I don't care if they offer a politician $1 million dollars in cash. The politician has the power to accept or reject it. No matter what the lobbyist promises, it is the legislator's responsibility to determine how he votes.
            Those 545 human beings spend much of their energy convincing you that what they did is not their fault. They cooperate in this common con regardless of party.
            What separates a politician from a normal human being is an excessive amount of gall. No normal human being would have the gall of a Speaker, who stood up and criticized the President for creating deficits.. The president can only propose a budget. He cannot force the Congress to accept it.
            The Constitution, which is the supreme law of the land, gives sole responsibility to the House of Representatives for originating and approving appropriations and taxes. Who is the speaker of the House? Nancy Pelosi. She is the leader of the majority party. She and fellow House members, not the president, can approve any budget they want. If the president vetoes it, they can pass it over his veto if they agree to.
            It seems inconceivable to me that a nation of 300 million can not replace 545 people who stand convicted -- by present facts -- of incompetence and irresponsibility. I can't think of a single domestic problem that is not traceable directly to those 545 people. When you fully grasp the plain truth that 545 people exercise the power of the federal government, then it must follow that what exists is what they want to exist.
            If the tax code is unfair, it's because they want it unfair.
            If the budget is in the red, it's because they want it in the red ..
            If the Army &Marines are in IRAQ , it's because they want them in IRAQ
            If they do not receive social security but are on an elite retirement plan not available to the people, it's because they want it that way.
            There are no insoluble government problems.
            Do not let these 545 people shift the blame to bureaucrats, whom they hire and whose jobs they can abolish; to lobbyists, whose gifts and advice they can reject; to regulators, to whom they give the power to regulate and from whom they can take this power.. Above all, do not let them con you into the belief that there exists disembodied mystical forces like "the economy," "inflation," or "politics" that prevent them from doing what they take an oath to do.
            Those 545 people, and they alone, are responsible.
            They, and they alone, have the power.
            They, and they alone, should be held accountable by the people who are their bosses.
            Provided the voters have the gumption to manage their own employees.
            We should vote all of them out of office and clean up their mess!
            Charlie Reese is a former columnist of the Orlando Sentinel Newspaper.
            What you do with this article now that you have read it.......... Is up to you.
            This might be funny if it weren't so darned true.
            Be sure to read all the way to the end:

Tax his land,
            Tax his bed,
            Tax the table
            At which he's fed.

Tax his tractor,
            Tax his mule,
            Teach him taxes
            Are the rule.

Tax his work,
            Tax his pay,
            He works for peanuts
            Anyway!
            Tax his cow,
            Tax his goat,
            Tax his pants,
            Tax his coat.
            Tax his ties,
            Tax his shirt,
            Tax his work,
            Tax his dirt.

Tax his tobacco,
            Tax his drink,
            Tax him if he
            Tries to think.

Tax his cigars,
            Tax his beers,
            If he cries
            Tax his tears.

Tax his car,
            Tax his gas,
            Find other ways
            To tax his ass.

Tax all he has
            Then let him know
            That you won't be done
            Till he has no dough.

When he screams and hollers;
            Then tax him some more,
            Tax him till
            He's good and sore.
            Then tax his coffin,
            Tax his grave,
            Tax the sod in
            Which he's laid.

Put these words
            Upon his tomb,
            Taxes drove me
            to my doom...'

When he's gone,
            Do not relax,
            Its time to apply
            The inheritance tax.
            Accounts Receivable Tax
            Building Permit Tax
            CDL license Tax
            Cigarette Tax
            Corporate Income Tax
            Dog License Tax
            Excise Taxes
            Federal Income Tax
            Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
            Fishing License Tax
            Food License Tax
            Fuel Permit Tax
            Gasoline Tax (currently 44.75 cents per gallon)
            Gross Receipts Tax
            Hunting License Tax
            Inheritance Tax
            Inventory Tax
            IRS Interest Charges IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)
            Liquor Tax
            Luxury Taxes
            Marriage License Tax
            Medicare Tax
            Personal Property Tax
            Property Tax
            Real Estate Tax
            Service Charge T ax
            Social Security Tax
            Road Usage Tax
            Sales Tax
            Recreational Vehicle Tax
            School Tax
            State Income Tax
            State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)
            Telephone Federal Excise Tax
            Telephone Federal Universal Ser vice FeeTax
            Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Taxes
            Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge=2 0Tax
            Telephone Recurring and Non-recurring Charges Tax
            Telephone State and Local Tax
            Telephone Usage Charge Tax
            Utility Taxes
            Vehicle License Registration Tax
            Vehicle Sales Tax
            Watercraft Registration Tax
            Well Permit Tax
            Workers Compensation Tax

STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY? Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago, and our nation was the most What in the hell happened? Can you spell 'politicians?'
            And I still have to 'press 1' for English!?

I hope this goes around THE USA at least 100 times!!! YOU can help it get there!!!
            GO AHEAD - - - BE AN AMERICAN!!!

K: What does it take to be an American?

Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
            ~ ~
            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Judge Michael Town gives no prison time to a man convicted of manslaughter. Jayppy Riveral was racing another car on the Moanalua Freeway when he crashed, resulting in the death of his 19 year old passenger/girlfriend.

http://www.kitv.com/news/20937825/detail.html

One could easily sympathize with Riveral, seeing as how the crash has resulted in obvious symptoms of brain damage. And it should be said that the dead girl's family stated to Judge Town that they didn't want to see Riveral imprisoned.

OTOH, this was the second major car wreck that Riveral has gotten into. And less than a year before this latest tragedy, Riveral was convicted of speeding by more than 20 mph.

There's no question this was a lenient sentence. However, Judge Town gets the benefit of the doubt from me on this one. I would hope that as a condition of his staying out of prison, Riveral needs to stay out of trouble of any kind. No using his brain injury as an excuse not to keep his nose clean. And finally, if it hasn't already been done so, Riveral's driving license should be permanently revoked. If he's going to work at a job, he's gonna have to either catch a ride from somebody else or catch the bus.

Comment

Re: Lenient sentence (Riveral case)

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                There's no question this was a lenient sentence. However, Judge Town gets the benefit of the doubt from me on this one. I would hope that as a condition of his staying out of prison, Riveral needs to stay out of trouble of any kind. No using his brain injury as an excuse not to keep his nose clean. And finally, if it hasn't already been done so, Riveral's driving license should be permanently revoked. If he's going to work at a job, he's gonna have to either catch a ride from somebody else or catch the bus.
                I saw this one on KITV also. They said he was going over 100 miles an hour when he crashed!
                However, it appeared that the wishes of the girl's family (that Riveral not go to prison) were a key factor in Judge Town's leniency.

In addition to the conditions you suggested in exchange for no jail time, my thought was that some community service should also be included... perhaps in the form of appearing at some driver's ed classes, etc.

Maybe some kids would think twice about street racing if they saw and heard a firsthand account from Riveral about how his poor choices and actions resulted in the death of the girl he loved...
                To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

Judge Virginia Crandall, I find you guilty of giving a break to a murder defendant based on an idiotic technicality.

17 year old Vernon Bartley, originally facing a 1st degree murder charge for the premeditated killing of neighbor who was about to testify against him for the burglary of her home, will instead be facing a 2nd degree murder charge. This is significant, because a 2nd degree conviction will give him the chance for parole, while a 1st degree conviction would put him away for good.

KITV news story

Terrible ruling, Judge Crandall! For that boneheaded decision (which might possibly lead to Bartley getting out of prison while he is still in his 30s), you are the latest entry in this judicial hall of shame.

Comment

Absolutely horrible decision...

He could actually be out at the age of 32, for the premeditated murder of a witness against him in another trial.
                    Pathetic.
                    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I dont understand why the fact that he had motive and premeditation was ruled inadmissable.
                      the woman in a civil trial was testifying against him. is this coincidence?
                      the judge should have let the prosecutor do their job and show why this is not a coincidence. juries are not stupid when presented with facts. it seems a judge was not confident in their ability to conduct a fair trial with all the facts of the case laid out.
                      certainly a good prosecutor can get these facts into a trial.
                      I also understand that 1st degree murder in many states is usually reserved for the killing of police officers. maybe this is such a sacred cow that by letting someone who merely planned and killed someone like you and me be convicted of 1st degree is too much. sounds like there may be some politics involved.
                      the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

Anybody that would play politics with our judicial system should be allowed to enjoy our penal system.
                        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

And less than a year before this latest tragedy, Riveral was convicted of speeding by more than 20 mph.
                          How does one get convicted on a speeding ticket in excess of 20mph? Last time I got caught speeding it was 25mph over the speed limit (I was trying to beat a yellow light). All I got was a ticket to mail in with a check for a couple hundred bucks and sucky abstract for a few years. No conviction just a mail in ticket.

He must have been going waaayyyy over 20mph for a conviction to have occured right?
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Judge Virginia Crandall, I find you guilty of giving a break to a murder defendant based on an idiotic technicality.
                            Is this the same judge who released the alleged killer of the tourist from New Mexico?

Comment

Originally posted by escondido100 View Post
                              I dont understand why the fact that he had motive and premeditation was ruled inadmissable.
                              the woman in a civil trial was testifying against him. is this coincidence?
                              Judge Crandall's explanation for her outrageous ruling was this, according to the Star Bulletin.

Bartley, who was then 15, allegedly burglarized Ertell's home and was scheduled for trial in Family Court for the burglary. Ertell, his neighbor, was subpoenaed as a witness and was killed the next morning -- May 25, 2007.

But Crandall ruled in favor of Bartley, whose lawyer, Jeffrey Hawk, had argued that the burglary case was a Family Court proceeding, not a criminal proceeding.
                              Unbelievable! Someone who is subpoenaed as a witness in a family court trial involving a crime (a burglary is a crime, whether it is committed by an adult or a juvenile, I don't care what some idiot judge thinks!!!) is entitled to less protection than a witness in a regular criminal court. GMAFB, Judge Crandall.

But then again, this ruling came from the same "brilliant" legal mind that delayed imposing a prison sentence on a convicted child abuser because of the abuser's claim that her status as a native Hawaiian exempted her from state court jurisdiction.

Seriously, Judge Crandall needs to be relieved of her judiciary powers. It's magistrates like her that make people lose confidence in the justice system. "The system is broken?" This judge's mind is broken!!!

Comment

Couldn't agree more, FM. I'm absolutely disgusted by this. I hope justice is eventually served.
                                What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Working...
                                X